So how do engineers...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Slaidd, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Patooie

I've got over 200 hours in the engie and look for opportunities to keep equipment (Max/Turret/vehicle) up if the situation warrants. I don't do so to the exclusion of killing. I think it's one of the best classes where you change up between offensive (AT Turret), support with Ammo and repairing where needed. A good engineer/Max balance can make a huge difference in Biolab defensive and offensive scenarios. I don't pay much attention to the xp stats generally but looking back I think I do great in the support role. If you are repairing folks in your platoon you get a nice bonus as well and PA shottie in hand you can blow light assaults C4 charges up in midair (always fun, esp if you get them in the blast too)

There is enough variety available that if you are feeling like you are a simple max crutch you aren't fully exploiting the range of utility that the engineer is capable of.
    • Up x 1
  2. Vandraad

I make MAX suits basically sit up and beg for repairs. Too often the idiots are screaming "someone fix this thing" as they go running by and proceed to keep running..or constantly moving around in/out of repair range, etc...basically doing everything and anything they can to interrupt you repairing them. So I stand there staring at them until they stop moving. Then I wait just a bit longer to see if they really want to get repaired before I then start repairing them. If they start moving I'll just drop C4 and detonate it.
  3. AdhesiveGhost

If a MAX passes me, I'll repair him, but I won't follow him. I most play engineer for the endless ammo in my UBGL. Popping out of shields to grab a quick kill is truly glorious. Especially against the dumb****s who just stand there shooting at it.
  4. Frazzle

Engies are more than just mere mechanics. They can manipulate the battlefield more than any other infantry class in a wider variety of situations.

Turrets, ammo packs, mines and repair tools combine to make engies the foundation of a successful defense or establishing a beachhead. Engis are also the only class that has unlimitted ub smoke, which when used correctly, can turn the tide in a battle.
  5. Gisgo

I dont mind to be a babysitter... for a while.
    If the MAX is holding a room alone, its fair to help him.
    Thanks god there are a lot of other things you can do as an engie.
    Like a healer in DAOC, from time to time you are required to heal, but you can do much more than healing :).
  6. MFP_TK_01

If 2 healers dueled each other, who would win?

We don't know, the duel is still going!
  7. shadowkhat

i don't know.. i view max's as cert vending machines... repair tool is my cert magnet. and i'd much rather stand to the side of a door and let all the enemy fire hit the max i'm repairing than me...now with so many ZOE max's out there with little to no brains, i'm enjoying my tank mines even more... and the warden :D (toss mine, hide, bait ZOE, BOOM!@)
  8. Nintyuk

Well clearly the healer would win.
  9. MFP_TK_01

Somebody never played DAOC.
  10. PWGuy93

I don't see doing repairs as being anything other than a function. They need repairs, we supply ammo and keep the base operational by bringing up the shields. Along the way we drop some C4 or proximity mines or tank mines and make life generally unpleasant for the enemy. We're not the tank, but we can repair one - so isn't that like being a medic just with different tools?
  11. Regpuppy

How people choose to play the class is up to them. Let's start by stating what's available to an engineer.

- ALL of the same weapons an LA can use + more
    - deployable turrets
    - more explosives options than any other class
    - repair tool for any vehicle you decide to gun/drive
    - magic box of infinite ammo

You have just as much potential to kill things as LA with just as much potential to kill vehicles as an HA. You're the one pidgeonholing yourself into a role. Your class has support tools as well. So people will expect you to use them by default. But most reasonable players don't expect you to sit there and babysit their max. You're the one that chooses to do that and by doing so, you encourage the max to be ballsy locking you into repairing him.

If you want to focus more on killing but haven't really certed into anything else. Cert a few levels into LA jump jet and you can carry over your favorite Engineer weapon with you (unless it's the warden)
  12. TheJosephChrist

Low xp? I'm getting 40-80xp a ding when repairing squad max's.
  13. RipperTR

I agree completely, especially in squad play. Being a dedicated pocket engi for a squad MAX that knows what they are doing is awesome (letting each other know when your reloading/ on cooldown etc.)
    Competent players will always target the engineer first, so it's important the MAX shoots from a position that the engi can provide support from cover.

Then you have the randoms that are yelling "I need repairs" while standing in the open, you run out of cover taking hits to start repairing them........then they run off half way through repair and expect you to follow. :mad:
  14. MorganM

Depends on the player but I like following around a good MAX. Especially if we can use voice comms and work together. I don't feel like I'm their b!tch... I mean they need me just as bad as I need them... if they cop an attitude I just leave and they can keep running to a terminal like a ****** for all I care.
  15. Tommyp2006

If I can find a max that will actually push into battle, and get some killing done, willing to risk himself to do it, you can bet I will stick on him like glue to keep him alive as long as possible. I can get more certs from repairing maxes than the maxes do from getting kills. Why wouldn't I try to keep my team mates alive as long as possible. It doesn't mean it's engineers only role, but it is a very useful one.
  16. Treck28

You're thinking about this the wrong way. A max is your (sometimes stupid) pet, it's your job to keep your pet healthy and fed
    • Up x 1
  17. CommanderShwan

Doesn't bother me at all. Come 2XP weekend you better believe I'm camping every biolab I can, Forming MAX squads and getting that insane XP per tick repairing them in teleport rooms.

a cert for every 2/3 ticks as they pointlessly get shot going in and out of the force field? Don't mind if I do, as it's almost criminal.
  18. Radian12

SirBon and TheStink: I almost sheaded a tear . :) I do exactly the same . Relentles sacrifice for my empire . :)
    I would love to play with troopers like in the field. Best regards from Waterson VS .
  19. Mostadio

This is the best way to look at it. The max is your angry dog and your repair tool is his leash. If he wants to run out in the street and get hit by a car, so be it. You can always get a new dog.
    • Up x 1
  20. DeadliestMoon

True, Engies being a MAX's pet is what is expected of the class. I also agree that you can play how you want, but I think not having set rules of how to play is what creates bullsh*t styles of playing. Which in turn creates sore losers and poor sportsmanship all around.