So how do engineers...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Slaidd, Jun 12, 2013.

1. DeadliestMoon

Can't you do a mixture of both? It's not all or nothing.
  2. Kundalini

I play engineer only, simply because I think its the most self-sufficient class and has good synergy with vehicles. I usually drive around in a sunderer and travel around in home territory repairing bases. If I see a Zerg I ussually follow and set up the sunderer with ammo dispenser slightly behind the main push as a fallback position, where I repair friendly vehicles and make loads of certs from people re-arming at my sunderer and . I just love engineer because I always feel I am making a difference.
  3. TheBillOf3D

It's a job that makes or breaks the push. It's not glamorous or as sexy as shooting people. But it needs to be done or the max is useless. It's best if the engineer is also setup to be a max. Then you understand why and how you are needed. The max is far better at killing people than an engineer is. Yet they cost resources and have a cooldown timer. Thus your job is to keep the max up and fed with ammo. If you want to run around shooting people, there are better classes for that. But while chasing maxes around isn't the peak of fun, the certs gained from a job well done will pay for more fun stuff and level you faster. Your gun still gets to be whipped out for LA targeting your cert farm max. But if you have your primary gun out most of the time in support classes, you are probably doing it wrong.
  4. Calisai

The best setup is having a partner who is also Engy/Max. Then you really have a good team going. Trade-off timers/resources and both can get insane xp together...
    • Up x 2
  5. Astoral

When I play as Eng, I play as they're meant to be played - as support!
    It's the Engees and Medics that help keep the momentum and the fight going. Without repairs and support, it all fizzles out and dies. Yes, it can be a pain being a Max's *****, but it's them that can take the hits and push the enemy back in tight spots and break those stale mates.

Loads of armour coming? I'll set up a AV turret and go to town. But I know I won't have much time before I'm sniped, but at least I've helped to soften them up somewhat :)
  6. smoke eater

I'll repair a MAX, no problem. Especially at a biolab if I am able to be behind some form of cover while I have no weapon in my hand. If a MAX is running around a base screaming for repairs and won't hold still to allow someone to heal him, then he is on his own. If I am repairing a MAX (crouch down, try to stay out of his way) and I get knifed by the enemy I will remember that name of that MAX and never repair him again, especially if he doesn't bother to protect me from someone wielding a knife. Or if that MAX enjoys standing in the open trying to assault the enemy and expects me to magically circle around him without taking any damage and constantly repair him then I just laugh and go the other way.
    What are these set rules you talk about? Try not to shoot your team mates, try to capture bases. Work as a team. Being a slave to a MAX is not being a team. It is being a slave. You work with me, I'll work with you. If I'm just fodder for the MAX, then that guy can find someone else to be his slave.
  7. BH Brigade

If you're repairing a max who is also in your squad it ill net you about 35xp per repair tick BEFORE boost. Lots of xp is to be had. Also, I play max a lot and it is infuriating when you have two bars of health left and an engi runs past and doesn't repair you just because he's "sick of being a max *****." You are an engineer, not a heavy or light assault. Sorry to burst your bubble. Feel free to kill *****, but don't ignore the people who actually NEED you to do something other than kill.
  8. goliith

I love repairing friendly maxes. Especially when they have a brain in that steel can and know when to push hard or when to just hang back and unload with my handy-dandy ammo box on the ground.

I have my ammo box and repair tool both maxed out cert lines, I play Engineer because I love playing support classes in MMOs as most players who play support classes are complete trash at managing themselves in their role.

I play Engineer 98% of the time, and I enjoy every bit of my 1.66 K/D and 430+ SPM. Repairing MAXes is a fantastic way to get XP, especially if they're in your squad, get a Cert every 5 XP ticks, which is about every 3 seconds on a MAX taking constant fire.

Repairing a MAX constantly, or many MAXes all the time is one of the best ways to earn XP in PS2, especially if they are all around using your and only your Ammo pack, with 3 MAXes around you using your ammo and you repairing them all, you can easily pull in over 50,000 Score per hour.
  9. vanu123

You have to keep them up. It is your job they can usually kill faster and better than you can because they are "walking tanks". Letting them die just hurts the team. Idk about you but I make plenty of certs and XP by repairing and resupplying maxs. Engineer is my 2nd or 3rd most played class tied with LA and behind HA.
  10. Excretus Maximus

If you don't want to be a repairbot, don't. You're not obligated to follow the MAXes around, there are plenty of other things you can be doing as an Engineer.
  11. exLupo

Back when Cup was running his stats site, the API scrape showed engineers to be tied for the best non-MAX infantry class in terms of xp/hr.

So suck it up, buttercup.
  12. Psykmoe

Repairing is good xp, killing vehicles with the AV turret (or even just getting assists) is amazing xp, having infinite UBGL grenades is fun as hell.

Also, best explosion options.

Engineer. Good class.
  13. Rikkit

tankmines>> best for killing deployed sunderes on droppod.
    av turret >> countersnipe and destroy everything @ renderrange
    ubgl + ammobox >> :D trololololol
    oh and repairing generators and all the other stuff is a good thing to let the fight going
  14. Kid Gloves

As everyone else says: I'm not an infantry engineer to follow MAXes around. If one runs by and is injured, sure. Ammo dispensing happens a lot, shooting happens a lot too. MANA turret gets a lot of use (especially the AI one, I'm not as huge a fan of the AV one).

What annoys me is when a MAX nearby throws a hissy at me for not dropping what I'm doing to fix him when I'm in the middle of kill-streaking with my MANA turret.
  15. Vortok

True story. Sat in a Bio Lab for a good half hour a few days ago doing pretty much nothing but spamming repairs on a couple of MAX players that were standing in the doorway outside one of the teleporters + had an ammo pack nearby (which repeatedly capped on resupply exp). Score/hour was over 25k unboosted. If the MAX was in my squad for the squad repair bonus, would've been even higher. Not half bad for crouching around a corner and intermittently holding mouse 1. Eventually stopped when our forces captured the base linked to the teleporter since they weren't able to make any progress pushing out of it.
    • Up x 2
  16. Samutus

Engineer class is the best and most versatile class in the game in my opinion. Let my show you what I roll with:
    • Gauss Compact S - (3 fire modes) equipped with medium range sight, compensator, and an under barrel smoke launcher which I use frequently in both offence and defence. They can be thrown between you and an enemy at medium range to hide an escape or maneuver, used to hide when firing off a turret, or used as a tactical offensive tool to hide a large friendly troop rush in semi enclosed spaces such as bio labs. Can also be used as a decoy (especially when a grenade and smoke are shot off in the same location) to get your enemies to look or move away. This is especially useful in getting tanks to look away so you can C4 their backside.
    • Patriot Flare Gun - Used to light up the night for friendlies attacking facilities such as towers from a distance. Like the Commissioner Pistol it can be used to pull off an insta-kill knife/sidearm combo. Can be used to distract enemies as well as signal friendly squads. Will become even more useful if the beta night is brought brought back.
    • One Sticky Grenade - Great as a last resort in a one on one battles. Great for taking out groups of enemies because often the person who gets stickied will not know and will not move away from his allies and sometimes running to them, delivering them to an explosive death. Can also be stuck to walls which is useful in certain situations such as fights on grav lifts.
    • Repair Tool - This thing is an XP gaining machine. You can gain large amounts of XP quickly by following around MAXs in situations such as those unending biolab battles, repairing in tank fights, or best of all, repairing destroyed turrets in recently capped bases. When you are operating a vehicle you must have the ability to hop out and repair it. But what about when your vehicle goes up in flames? If you play engi as your main class you can fight hard even after your machine is no more. You can use the smoke cover and chaos caused by your vehicle exploding to throw down a turret, escape, or throw a grenade. Can also be used to defuse enemy explosives.
    • Four Bricks of C4 - I love this stuff. As an engi you can't simply jet in and drop the stuff on vehicles and infantry clusters before enemies can respond. You need to be more strategic, you need to Metal Gear yourself behind tanks and into positions where you will be able to cause a lot of damage. One will usually take out a MAX, Two of them will take out a tank, and Three of them will take a Sunde down. Can also be used to quickly destroy abandoned enemy aircraft, kills a lib in with two, ESFs with one, and four will bring a gal to critical damage. Great for setting traps for MAXes, infantry, and even armor as well as throwing down from higher up places. Can be used to force players to leave turrets so you can kill them. When attached to the nose of a preferably ejection seat and speed air frame equipped ESF it turns your flying machine into one giant bomb for doing massive amounts of damage to armor clusters. Just make sure no one shoots it on the way to the target. Similarly you can do a nose dive close to enemy armor, ejecting just before you hit the ground, putting you in a great position to do some damage from an area they lease expect since they assume you died in the crash. This is an incredibly useful weapon in many situations, I am always finding new ways to use it in battle.
    • AV Turret - This thing is another one of my favorite weapons. Much like C4, the number of ways this thing can be used is astounding. First off, this is no anti-vehicle turret, its an anti-everything turret. I mean that. This thing can do large amounts of damage to tanks (3 hits to kill a flash), a great deal of damage to grounded air (and when skillfully used, in flight air), and can kill all non MAX infantry with a direct hit. The only downside is there is no shield to protect you. The key to using this thing is picking a good position, far enough out there that only snipers and long range explosives can hit you. You can take down tanks by hitting them from behind, then re-positioning to finish them to finish them off. As for the snipers This thing can hit targets from astounding ranges, and if you are really good you can even maneuver it around terrain to hit enemies. The Av turret has unlimited ammo and does far more damage then the long range explosive weapons carried by heavys. Because of its infinite ammo and high damage it can be used to grind off of unmanned turrets at abandoned enemy bases for a lot of XP. can be use With strategic use this becomes an incredible weapon that comes in handy constantly in many different situations.
    • Ammo Pack - By pressing B to switch fire modes in my turret slot I can drop ammo packs (I say this because many players still don't know about this). This means I have infinite ammo on all weapons except C4 and grenades and can also gain XP by placing packs in key locations.