Shotguns and Elitists, Part II

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Liberty

Everything that Mustarde said was spot on, but the highlighted part is what most people in this thread speaking about "Shotgun elitists" fail to recognize. This game lets you essentially pull bigger guns to kill players who would have otherwise killed you outright. Planetside has a unique experience where you can watch salty players climb what is called the Cheese Ladder. The first rung is making them switch classes from non heavy to heavy. The second rung is causing them to switch from a carbine/lmg/ar to a shotgun (bonus points if it is a PA). The third rung is getting them to pull a MAX. The 4th rung is getting them to pull a Tank / Vehicle / ESF. The 5th rung is getting them to do it from another base and have them drive all the way back to kill you. The 6th rung is a galaxy / lib especially at a small fight.

The MLG elite crowd (or whatever you want to call them) fully realize that objectively shotguns are generally a worse weapon to bring because (as I pointed out in the last thread) they severely limit your overall kill potential and leave certain kills up to the RNG mechanics of CoF rather than aiming skill. But they do have a binary level of effectivness that can result in easy kills in the right situation. And because most of the MLG crowd knows you can't be MLG without a good KDR and KPH, they are often aggressively pushing and end up doing the only work a shotgun user has to do to get a kill, for them. i.e. Getting in close to a target / being the first one around the corner.
    • Up x 2
  2. The Shermanator

Now you're just making things up. The objective empirical and physical evidence of in-game performance disagrees with you.
  3. Pelojian

anyone who has used PAs, Semi-autos or Auto shotguns can tell you that they are opposed. shotguns at point blank on an unaware opponents can kill unopposed. If the enemy is aware of you outside of point blank they will oppose you.
  4. Savadrin

First, I would like to express how glad I am to see this thread again. I just ordered a pallet of popcorn, just in case.

I turn my Flora to the lowest setting, I wasn't even aware that it could be turned off. The reason is because I don't want to be trying to use it for cover (let's face it though - it's a really bad idea anyway as I'll just shoot the bush instead) and not be sure that it's there for everyone.

It's fine with me to have it or not to have it, I don't care one way or the other, but it needs to be hard-coded with consistency.

Turning smoke off to me is far worse, because it invalidates things that people have to choose over other items to use. It's probably because they're sick of it from smoking too many poles. I get that thermals and HSNV counter smoke - which is great, because it also makes you choose something as your counter, not ******** out and changing your ini file.

I got smoke grenades on my BR for my engi, because I want to have that opportunity, some time, to lose my vehicle and pop a bunch of smoke while I lay tank mines and run to cover. And then sit there with an ammo pack and troll the whole area with smoke until they finally find and kill me.

WELCOME BACK SHATGUNS THREAD!
    • Up x 1
  5. bLind db

I love how Demigan wants everyone to know how he's probably the best player in the world in literally every game because he mastered shotguns in PS2, which requires "buttloads" of skill.

And now he's spitballing extremely overpowered buffs to a gun that can one-shot in a range that is easy to put yourself in in the vast majority of engagements.
    • Up x 1
  6. Reclaimer77

Gundem calling others "elitist"....

That's rich.

So besides trolling the community is there some point to these shotgun threads besides displaying your clearly narcissistic personality traits?

Why don't you just be honest and ask for shotgun buffs? Pretending they are inferior does no good. You yourself proclaimed you have Auraxed 6 or 7 shotguns. Uhhh does that sound inferior to you?

"Hey I'm Gundem, I ***** the Liberator but on the forums pretend it's not all that effective. Now I'm doing the same with shotguns despite admitting I've scored thousands of cheap kills with them."

I see a pattern here...
  7. Iridar51

But if the average player has so much longer shotgun TTK, wouldn't he also have much longer TTK with an automatic weapon?

Mercenary takes at least 3 seconds to run through the whole mag, I can easily picture a player needing all of that just to kill one guy.

Did you look into average LPK with automatics?
  8. Savadrin

Hush now. Some of us are waiting for Newborn #4.
  9. Iridar51

Pic related:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Iridar51

Lol that's a new one. I don't think I was followed by a fan before. :D Are you stalking me? :eek:

I'm stuck with a ****** keyboard for a few days, so I'll probably start working on the next episode soon, for the lack of a better activity. I do want to polish and publish my Hip Fire vs ADS guide first.
    • Up x 1
  11. Savadrin

hahaha, I soak up as much youtube guide/commentary as I can from good players. The more I learn in game, the more I see in the videos, and so on.

Doesn't make me any better, but it makes me a little more knowledgeable and sometimes that's enough of an edge ;)

On the fan note, yeah, it's weird. I wrote a book that has like 10 fans, no advertising. But when I hear from a random person asking when the second is coming out, I feel like a ****bag for not having it finished already. And then I'm like wait, someone cared? lol.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hegeteus

What about me, a shotgun elitist?

PS: Shame on noobs who don't fight face to face ;)
    • Up x 2
  13. Imp C Bravo

According to oracle of death shotguns are way crappier than every other gun type in the game so....it's very VERY hard to make an argument for OP....
    • Up x 2
  14. Gundem

I painstakingly ground through those shotgun araxiums. The CARV, on the other hand, I literally picked up, ****** **** up, and went home with an araxium in 10 hours with around 35% accuracy. Same with the MSW-R, going the same with the CARV-S. Literally the second LMG I arax'd in the game and I have an 80KPH with higher accuracy then over 99% of the entire playerbase.

Anyone is welcome to post their opinions about shotguns here. But you're going to be expected to back up that claim with some evidence, at least your own personal stats. It appears your stats with most infantry weapons are quite abysmal, let alone shotguns. Not a solid case for your argument(It's like Déjà vu)

So, I kindly ask you to not bring our discussions or disagreements about Liberators, into this discussion further. Thank you.

P.S, I don't say Liberators are ****. I say that dominate small fights and are excluded from large ones.

Also, for ***** sake already, use the damn reply function!!!

True, that is something to consider. But this segment is specifically targeting the self-destructive logical fallacy within the elitists circle.(That average players can easily dominate with shotguns)

Perhaps when this thread has ran it's course, I'll make a part 3 showcasing how newbies perform with automatics vs. shotguns.
    In fact, I will! Thanks for inspiring both Part II and Part III! :D

That also being said, I was mainly considering average/slightly below average players, who I don't think would actually need an entire magazine to secure a kill at close range. Maybe some nerd-tier bads, but not average players.

I'll just point out that you still haven't provided a single solitary shred of evidence, even anecdotal, as to your side of the argument.

It's hard to take you seriously when you are saying the same think like a broken record player. Whether or not Demigan's proposed buffs are either legitimate or necessary.

I AM FULL OF FREAKING MAGIC!

*Elitists shoot me down*

Death is stupid! *flips the bird*

But yea, flora and smoke need to be made unable to be turned off all the way. As I said, if you legitimately think you need to turn those off all the way for pure framerate, your potato can't handle the game in the first place.

And if you enjoyed these threads so far, stay tuned for Part III!
  15. Reclaimer77

Abysmal? And you're basing this off my alt, who I "painstakingly" have decided to main as Light Assault. The LEAST played and most under powered infantry class in the game.

But yeah, I should just go HA and grab a shottie like you. Because that's the "skilled" choice right??

And again you display your hypocrisy. How can you call others "elitists" and then the first thing you do when challenged is attack me by claiming I'm a bad player? And you do this ALL the time.

I don't give a damn about shotgun balance. I'm just calling out the biggest elitist on this forum for hypocrisy. Elitism is the basis for pretty much ALL of your opinions.
  16. Gundem

Which is fine to think of them like that, but as I said in the last thread, how can you possibly have any backing to your(Not you in particular, general emphasis) claim if you also pride yourself in refusing to use them?

As for the Cheese ladder, like I said, only 25 players worldwide can manage an LPK under 3(For the Barrage specifically, the numbers are similar for all semi-autos). Take it as you will.

I also want to add that I don't consider everyone who has high KDR/KPH Elitist.\

Well firstly, you assume I only use HA, which is wrong. My most used class is LA. Then engi, only then followed by HA.

Secondly, if that is your alt, what is your main account's name then?

And thirdly, once again, you don't produce any evidence or personal experience, you simply sing along with the crowd, "Shotguns opeeee...", which really doesn't produce a compelling argument.
  17. Reclaimer77

Wtf am I singing along with a crowd calling shotguns OP? I haven't even given my opinion about Shotgun balance.

I was basically just calling your out on your hypocrisy. You throw this word "elitist" around as if you aren't the biggest elitist on this forum. You can't help yourself. In this very thread you pulled the whole "I have a higher K/D than you, therefore you suck and can't argue with me!!!" argument. Hello? Dude, THAT IS ELITISM!!!!

This is basically your response to all arguments:

1. I spend more time in an aircraft than (insert player), therefore I'm better than him and win all arguments
    2. I have better infantry stats than (insert player), therefore I'm better and win all arguments
    3. I have more shotgun kills than (insert player), therefore nobody can have a different opinion.

WAKE up man. You have NO right to call others elitists. Your first thread was bad enough, I mean space-time shattering levels of irony. But I guess you didn't get enough attention so you had to post ANOTHER one.
  18. Gundem

So, you are saying they are balanced? They are UP? Otherwise, why would you so aggressively attack me? You can agree with someone based on principles, you know.

I have a little project for you. Please go back and find wherever I used my K/D as a supporting leg of my argument, that doesn't boil down to "my KD is better, I win". This entire time I have used stats such as accuracy, KPH and LPK.

Secondly, I never used your KDR as reasons against you either. I used the fact that your infantry accuracy is downright awful and your IvI score is a lovely 380-something, whereas my current TR character which I primarily use normal weapons on hangs around 800.

Secondly, if you had any reading comprehension skills whatsoever, you'd recognize that I used my stats as justification for my side of the argument. According to the elitist, using a shotgun means you are a bad player, and shotguns allow bad players to perform well. I say that only top-tier players can actually use shotguns to their fullest potential.

And hell, if this thread is hypocritical, then you want Liberators buffed. I have asked the elietists to do the exact same thing with shotguns(Use them before you open your ******* mouth and whine "OP") as I have asked you to do with Liberators(Fly them before you open your ******* mouth and whine "OP").

Again, I reiterate, do not bring Liberators or my opinion on them into this discussion.
  19. Gundem

Actually, the evidence points towards him being right.

Did I not just say that only the top 25 players have under a 2 LPK average?
  20. Reclaimer77

Well because I just don't like you.

You're an elitist.

And my infantry accuracy is horrible? Maybe I have ADD and like to just shoot at the walls when I get bored. How the hell can you just take these cherrypicked stats and make an opinion about someone you don't even know? Maybe I like to just lay down cover fire using the TR dakka dakka dakka?

Not everyone goes around with their own personal stats being the ONLY thing on their minds you know. You know that right?

See this is what I'm talking about. Whenever we have EVER discussed something, you've always been the first to make a personal attack to try to shut discussion down.

And you are going to call others elitists...just..wow.

Can you not see that the very cancer infecting this community, the very thing you are complaining about here on these shotgun threads, is created by people like you!!