Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Rayco

speaking of flying over someone's head... if you read my post both things you brought up were addressed... ttk is much faster in ps2 than ps1 and the revive mechanic reflects that. I did suggest adding an ammo mechanic... stop trolling and insulting anyone that disagrees with you like some kind of child please or I will assume as such
  2. Sghignifiss

Happy Friday to you and do not get so angry with it! ;) We're just chatting and dreaming of our personal perfect medic class. When I come back from work I'll go play the game ASAP, you can be sure, and I'll play 90% of the time as medic as I always do ;)
  3. Tristan

The TTK isn't any faster than any other game with revives, all of which have some type of limitation. Good try, though.
  4. Rayco

l
    i
    I would agree that adding more risk could improve gameplay however I am arguing that the risk is already there. medics can not revive themselves. I have often gone for a dumb revive, gotten killed and have to respawn. this does happen. I could see the revive speed being slowed but not by much. it has to be balanced with the pace of this game, not ps1.typing on a cell phone is rough
  5. Dezik

Copying what I posted on your post on Combat Medic forums.

I would be in support of a cooldown mechanic or maybe a revive limit for each player.
    The cool down would work the same as the engineer gun but should only work for revives (I feel like healing is currently fine). If a medic is constantly reviving he should have to pull back every couple of revives (6 at max rank maybe?) and wait for a 15-20 second cooldown. But if a medic is only reviving once in a while he should be able to manage it fine with no over heat. So that way a good medic can balance his revive time so that it never overheats mean while the in experienced medic would most likely be running around with a basic gun that overheats.

The revive limit would work as each player had a certain amount of "tokens". Each dead player would have a number next to his name. Let's say it's a 4. With a top level gun the revive would take one token. With the others it would take two. That way it gives an incentive to level up your medic gun. After the tokens are spent the player's body would disappear to avoid confusion. Perhaps the number of tokens would be based on class? Max suits would get more.
  6. Frostical

Every respawn/revive should cost you resources to cover the cost of your body and equipment, something like 10 resource per spawn (at a facility). You could make revives cost slightly more, say 15, so it's more of a decision whether to revive instantly and take the resource penalty, or just go to a spawn point where it will cost less. Spawning at a sunderer could cost 15 as well, giving defenders a slight resource advantage if they are under siege.

If you don't have enough resources to respawn, you would have a longer spawn timer and/or spawn without suit slot item/less ammo until you get the resources.
  7. Sock

I don't think there needs to be an overheat function for healing, just revives. It's not like the engineer tool where you can actually repair against some serious incoming damage, health falls off far too fast for that to be viable.

Edit: I will add that should reviving be changed, increasing the speed a medgun heals at could be an interesting new dynamic for the class. Not to the extent of a MAX with a pocket engineer, but a heavy with resist shield? I think it'd be cool if they could tank a little more damage with a medic on them.
  8. Being@RT

Wish I could read the entire thread, but places to go, people to meet.. So I'll have to reply here. Lots of what I've been thinking has been said by page 7 though (I don't think medic revives are a particular issue; it seems like a feature of the game to me. I also think that some people have too high expectations on what skilled small groups should be able to overcome).

I promise to read the rest when I get back (I get a handy link from the quote if the forums decide to forget what my latest unread post was, again).

I think this reduced role bit applies to every class, including vehicles. I've never played PS1, but the character building sounds a lot nicer there.. a limited pool of certs you can use at any one time, essentially. That's what promotes sticking to your role - you're either unable to fill a role or severely disadvantaged in it.

Incidentally, I believe such an approach would counteract masses of <class/vehicle> as well, since while these are situationally awesome, people probably don't want to lock themselves down for long times into that specific role if they don't particularly enjoy playing like that outside those particular times.

Obviously the F2P nature and multiple characters and need to make money kind of speak against reinstating something like that.

aaand off I go.
  9. Phrygen

How would this be best implemented? A cert line, or a specific class?

If everyone could do this quickly and easily, it could significantly undermine the purpose of the medic. How would you suggest this being implemented?
  10. MrK

Knife to gib.
    That means you have to take the actual ground where your victim was to take over and ensure the dead are dead.
    • Up x 2
  11. Phrygen

I personally think that change would have too significant a change and allow anyone easily and quickly disable reviving with very little effort. A quick knife is pretty much a one second action. I feel like a "gib" should take at least 2 seconds of channeling. Thanks for the response though, and i do see where you are coming from.
  12. JonboyX

Rez and healing grenades should disappear. There are too many "zero risk" items in the game, and when they are this powerful they take the skill from the class and cheapen the game.

I also think that being able to rez someone faster than I can heal half their health whilst they're alive is, frankly, barmy.

I don't think though that having a cap on being rez'd / being able to rez is the right way forward. As a player you wouldn't know whether the guy who's in front of you is worth trying to support, and vice versa, whether the medic behind you has used up their rez quota. Don't forget - there's a lot of random player interactions in the game - and not being able to tell whether a team mate can help/be helped just adds uncertainty.

For now: I'd like to see resurrections take at least twice as long as they currently do on top level med app and have a mechanism like the engineers repair gun so you're encouraged to heal then shoot, heal then shoot.

Then you can make triage an 'overheal' ability which allows you top up your group past 100% health (it'll trickle down to 100% over time) so that if your team is winning, you can spend your heal points on making the squad more resilient before they die, not after.

A bit of give and take?
    • Up x 1
  13. Tristan

I don't think this specific point has been brought up yet, and it's a pretty valid concern for this type of change.
  14. MrK

I actually also wonder if 1 knife would be enough, but you can require 2 or 3 knifing to gib

I actually kind of abused that in ET:QW. The system was asymetrical : 1 side could instantly heal but had to repeatedly "revive" a ennemy corpse to gib him, while the other had a delayed respawn mecanics (not revive, you could build spawn options from dead ennemy corpses) but an instant gibbing of corpses
    The best you could do as a Strogg healer was to gib the ennemy just as his friend medic was coming for a jump-instant-revive. Confusing as hell for the medic (who thought he had missed his revive and came back for another try), you had all the time to finish him after. That's how you beat a medic train (which is quite common) in ET:QW. Jump faster than the medic, gib a split second before him.

But that was in line with the fact that revive was completely instant. It's not the case in PS2. So I guess yes, maybe 2 or 3 knife strokes could be required.
    Or a "hack" option for infiltrators which "hacks the nanites" out of the corpse :) brings more usefullness to cloakers.
  15. velleity

It's faster here as well. I only use it on outfit members as pubbies would lose it.

An example, during alpha/early closed beta you could choose where you drop podded.
    However, you could not tell the diff at the time b/w faction pods. So to keep the constant
    rain of then "instagib everything including the rocks in the distance" scatmaxes down,
    we shot down every pod as it came in. you can still see people occasionally mention
    it basically still losing it and not understanding the logic of the shoot down, being piss mad
    about 1 death a year later.
  16. Tristan

These were hilarious times, especially since destroying friendly pods still gave you experience....
  17. velleity

very poignant, really. so many tears in my eyes for vanu's sake.
  18. Xhoydr

Honestly, the execution mechanic from games such as War of the Roses would be a great fit if a mechanic like that was implemented.

The execution mechanic(in War of the Roses) takes close to maybe 5 seconds max and is interruptible upon taking damage. If executed you cannot be "revived".

Of course, a modified version would be the way to go. Less time to execute and only interruptible upon death, perhaps?

On another note:

If any of these ideas such as the limited revive were implemented the medic would have to have the proper feedback. Something that is easy to see. It may seem obvious, but it's important for those that may not be as "skilled" or just new to the game.
    • Up x 1
  19. Tristan

This is one of the reasons I prefer the suggestions that limit the medic themselves, like adding a heat meter to the med tool similar to the engineer, and lengthening the revive time. It doesn't require the medic to have any knowledge of the downed player.
    • Up x 1
  20. Sock

I think this is a good point that hasn't really been mentioned yet. Also why I prefer something like the overheat, simple and intuitive.
    • Up x 1