Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sock

Revive mechanics in their current state are absolutely broken. Not in the sense that they don't work. They do work, and far too well. One medic has unlimited potential to bring back as many players as they can get too, without any sort of regulation through cooldown. Guns have ammo, engineer tools overheat, but the medic gun has unlimited ammo and no cooldown mechanic to keep it in check. I'd like to see one real justification for that.

A revive should be a luxury, not expected every time you die. You got yourself killed, whether it was through poor positioning or simply getting outgunned. By all means, you should be revivable, however it shouldn't be as easy as it is now. This is an FPS, deaths should carry weight. Not in the sense of stats, that's a non-issue. When you die, you've been removed from the fight. It is far too easy in the current state of the game to bring players back into the fight. This makes everything an issue of numbers and devalues player skill. How is it reasonable that I kill four people and die to a fifth who happens to be a medic, and in less than ten seconds he has all of those players back on their feet at full health?

PS1 had a great revive mechanic that made medics extremely valuable. Good medics in PS1 were good players, not just players using a good class. Revives were slower and didn't have the crazy range they do now. You could absolutely save the day with clutch revives, but if you tried to do it in the middle of a firefight you'd be a goner. Revives should happen once your squad has cleared the area, as it is now there are far too many medics that do absolutely nothing but run around spamming revives on anyone they see.

There are plenty of simple ways to fix this. Cause reviving to use up a portion of your ability bar, limiting the number of revives you can perform in a short time. Or put a short cooldown on a player's ability to accept revives, so you can't be repeatedly revived and killed in a short period. Extend the time it takes to revive so you have to actually consider whether or not you're in a good position to revive.

Simply put, make the medic class require skill to play again, because right now it's a joke.
    • Up x 30
  2. Tristan

To put this in even less of a 'solo play' context, a squad of 6 people who take out 16 of 18 attackers/defenders before dying should not lose all of their hard work in 20 seconds.
    • Up x 6
  3. DoctOrious

4. CrashB111

It needs to happen cause it is one of the things that makes ZOE MAX as annoying as they are, it is bad enough that it is as hard as it is to bring one of the damn things down, but everything you just did can be undone in under 2 seconds by one of the dozens of medics that are always orbiting a MAX.
    • Up x 6
  5. CNR4806

Battlefield 2 has a mechanic that somewhat reduces this ridiculousness: dead players who sustained too much damage cannot be revived.

Blown up by a direct MBT shell? You cannot be revived.
    Got caught in an artillery strike? You cannot be revived.
    Too many things exploding around your corpse? You turn from revivable to unrevivable.

I have no idea why the devs decided that the post-BF2142 era "everyone can be revived no matter how ridiculously torn up he is" system is better for the game.
    • Up x 7
  6. ThreePi

Extend the revive time, even more so on MAXes, and force medics to move at ADS speed while reviving so they can't do that "revive dance" which would make them more vulnerable when they run out into the open trying to dodge bullets.

edit - I'd also be happy with adding an ammo mechanic to medics so they can't just hole up in a room and revive/heal ad infinium.
    • Up x 5
  7. Sock

Agreed, MAX revives is a whole separate beast. I'd prefer it was completely removed. Something as strong as an AI MAX should require cautious play and engineer support. Right now they (ZOEs in particular) can play completely recklessly because there's no risk of losing their MAX if they over extend.
    • Up x 3
  8. Sock

These are both solutions I'd like to see in game. The fact that you can revive a dead player to full health faster than you can heal an injured player to full should be indicative of a broken system. And I've yet to see a solid justification for why engineer tools overheat but medic tools have no limit.
    • Up x 3
  9. ThreePi

I'd apply the ammo mechanic to engies as well so they can't infinitely repair vehciles (specifically looking at harassers).
    • Up x 3
  10. Dis

Also, reviving needs to be much more expensive cert wise; just to unlock the ability should cost 250 - 500 certs and scale upwards from there.

It's unfortunate that all of these ideas will fall on deaf ears- the devs listen to the masses, and the zergfits are the ones who benefit the most from the current state of broken medic spam.
    • Up x 3
  11. CrashB111

Engineers cannot infinitely repair though, you have the overheating mechanic that gives your enemy plenty of time to damage you while your repair tool cools off.
    • Up x 4
  12. axiom537

Many of us in my Outfit agree, that medic heal spam is a little bit out of control. We came up with a couple solutions.

1. Cap the amount of times 1 player can be revived. Once for a Max and 3 times for infantry.
    2. Give the opposing faction a means to tap the player out.
    - If you see a dead enemy on the ground you can select them and force them to respawn
    - If a Player is sitting on a revive, you should be able to select them and force them to respawn
    • Up x 2
  13. shd

The best revive mechanic i've seen (and in my favorite game of all time) was in Wolf:ET. When you got shot down you were still alive on the floor and medic could revive you. The enemy could then "gib" your body so you can't be revived (by putting few more rounds in you, or usually by knifing you to save ammo). Of course, if you got blown up by a grenade or a mine you were insta-gibbed and unrevivable depending on the damage you received.

So making sure the guy shot down was actually dead was an important part of the gameplay and constant resurrects were preventable. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar here at all.
    • Up x 12
  14. Rayco

no. the game is fast pace and the medic functionality is balanced around that. It is working fine as is.

thank god this will fall on deaf ears
  15. Dis

Thank you for proving my point.
    • Up x 6
  16. Fire Works

Oh yes the ET/ETQW mechanics were very nice. Thought of this myself from time to time when I saw a revived player on the ground that did not accept yet... You have to camp those corpses after a base cap to avoid them backcapping again.
  17. Rayco

if you play medic you'll quickly realize you're reviving far more than you're healing due to the extremely fast ttk, reviving is like 60% of the medics intended purpose as a class. if it is limited they're just standing around after they've used their revives... engineers don't run out of ammo packs or turrets
    • Up x 6
  18. Sock

Outfit: CML
    lol
    • Up x 1
  19. Hobo Jack

this is a team game why are people ******** that medics can revive? when the player is revived they are at half health( no sheilds) people need to prioritize the medics. only in the very large fights do you see an ubundence of medics because there is an abundance of bodies and not an abundance of kills to be had but in smaller skirmishes there is rarely enough medics and way too many god damn light assaults.
    • Up x 4
  20. Sock

Revives shouldn't just be some freebie you can toss out whenever. You DIED. That needs to carry weight. Right now it doesn't.
    • Up x 2