Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sock

These changes to revives affect everyone. I know that. We benefit from fast revives just as much as the outfit, but the problem is how the current system compounds on the macro scale. Lots of medics reviving very quickly with no sort of cooldown or limitation.
  2. P4NJ

Then you want a change that doesn't affect smaller squads but affects zergs. Perhaps a limit to how many revives a certain faction can get in an area-link it to the new resource system. While you're at it link ammo resupply to it as well to further hinder mindless zergs. Sound good?
    • Up x 1
  3. Tristan

The biggest problem with this is that it adversely has a huge affect on groups like yours who might try to come in and make a change where the zerg is currently fighting. They'll have used up all of the 'revive resources' before or while you're there actually making a difference.

Note: In this sense, I'm referring to all large groups of people, including semi-organized giant outfits, as zergs.
  4. Sock

There have been multiple posts in this thread, several by me, suggesting some sort of cap or limitation on revives. So yeah.
  5. P4NJ

Not if the resources per revive scale up for each time a certain medic revives someone. So first revive is 1, secondnis 2, third 4 and so on. Eventially the medic can't rez anymore until the resource is replenished, and our fresh medics can.
  6. Kenny007

Noticed on page 8 there was a trend to suggest reversing the heal up and revival times. While on paper that makes a load of sense (Why DOES a heal take less time than a revive?) I think in practice it would just open up a new can of worms. If you flipped the times, and could instead heal someone to full (from near death) at the rate a person can be revived (assuming maxed tool), then you'd likely run into 'pocket medics' coming into style, up the butt of heavies who seemingly will not fall to small arms fire. To heal that quickly would negate all but the most serious of focused fire and/or heavy artillery.

Yikes. The strangeness in time-to-completion for the two tasks is apparent, but I don't think the answer is to merely flip the timers.
    • Up x 1
  7. Tristan

The answer is to make both of them take a non-insignificant amount of time. This has the affect of making the medic's AOE heal actually useful during a fight as well, since reviving and spot healing both wouldn't be viable in the middle of a fight without cover.
  8. StarBacon

I've suggested in other forum posts about programming the healing rate (and repair rate) similar to how the heal works in TF2 where the healing rate scales based on when they were last damaged. Less than 3 seconds since damage = current healing rate, 3 - 6 seconds = 2X healing rate, 6+ seconds = 3X healing rate. Therefore, pocket medics constantly healing a unit getting damaged will heal at a slow rate while people withdrawing from combat to find a medic will heal much faster.
    • Up x 2
  9. Xhoydr

As a person who mains medic, I can agree that the revive mechanic needs tweaking.

Maxes shouldn't be able to be revived. They cost resources and function like a vehicle. (Stay down you damn ZOE max!:mad:)

A recharge mechanic is something I would be ok with as long it is unique to the medic.

Make a passive cert line that reduces the recharge time and/or allows more revives before a recharge.

Reduce the time that a player is able to accept a revive. Prioritizing revives becomes key.

Keep the ability to revive the dead at 100% health for max level though.

I am also on the fence about reducing the range of the medic gun.

I would also like a different utility option for the medic as well. Again, something unique to the Combat Medic.

"Stealing" revives shouldn't be allowed.

Example: I use my medic gun on someone only to have another medic use their own gun right after. I thought this was fixed a while ago, but it is still there.

I can agree with moving the shield recharge to "upon resurrection begins the cooldown", so it would make the Advanced Shield Capacitor more valued overall.

With any tweaks to medic I am always concerned about keeping medic a class that isn't boring to play in general, but instead adding to the unique feel to separate it from traditional healing classes of other games.
  10. Tristan

This is the biggest thing that a lot of these changes would affect. Medics would be able to actually run around with their guns out and shoot at things instead of just have their med tool out all the time, which I would assume most people find more fun, because they wouldn't be able to just revive someone on a whim.
  11. Sock

I'd like to see a switch to some sort of recharge or overheat mechanic like the engineer tool. As it is right now, there is a massive difference between a stock medic and a fully certed out medic. If I start getting revived and it takes longer than a few seconds, I generally decline because I don't want to be revived in a fight with 20% HP. I'd like to see revive times and HP on revive standardized and certing into it allows more revives before you overheat. This would give players just starting out a much better role when playing medic.
    • Up x 1
  12. Meeka

I agree, the medics being able to constantly revive is kind of ridiculous.

Putting things together (suggested by some people too):

1. Limit revives to dead people 3 times per battle, after you die the 3rd time, you have to revive at a Sunderer or drop pod in; once you do that, you can be revived three more times. This, at least gives that individual a "cool down" period where they have to come back from a Sunderer and reflects a death.

2. MAXes cannot be revived, at all, you're in a MAX suit, if it's blown to bits, even if you revive, your gear is shot... end of story. The armor of a MAX should be doubled to reflect this point.

3. Medics should have a limited number of revives before they need to resupply from a terminal; maybe 10-50 (depending on certed level?) Engineers should probably have the same sort of thing applied, basically, a mobile nanite supply. Everyone else has to resupply from terminals, Medics and Engineers should be no different.

4. If you are killed by an explosion; you should not be revivable at all. After all, what would be left to revive?
  13. Minimum Force

I'm confused on how other medics play because apparently there are a lot of people that can't multi-task. When I'm running around and doing my thing (shooting, healing, reviving, etc) I will spot heal and group heal with the AOE healing ability. The same applies for reviving and/or healing since generally being focused on one person does a disservice to the rest of the group. So have you only noticed medics that run around like chickens with their tools out or do folks actually use their brains and combine their abilities while fighting?

Like I said this really confuses me because even while I'm firing at someone I kick on my healing ability to reduce the rate of incoming damage but also to assist others. As it stands I'm apparently having the fun that you describe but in my mind I'm playing smart and missing out on additional fun. Personally I want more flavor for playing a medic and that would come from unique tools/equipment versus relying on just the medic tool. I want to be able to setup a healing "charge" that I can set off to heal people in an area that I determined was a hot spot. I want to be able to drop a medic pack alongside the numerous ammo packs to assist in building a "bunker" or defensible point.

I also checked the thread for latest posts since last night and again Delta Triad has sort of become a focus in this issue. From what I understand your outfit is a small force that re-secures locations against larger forces. That's a great thing to do since it frees up the larger groups but aren't you also putting yourselves in these situations more than necessary? What I mean is that you're going against larger odds and because of this there is a greater chance of seeing stacked classes. Are there any other outfits that function this way that will step into the thread and verify? I'm just curious at this point.
    • Up x 1
  14. Sock

Members from DA, ZAPS, TO, AC, INI have posted in this thread, that I can think of off the top of my head. All smaller, accomplished, and respectable outfits, and I think any one of them could verify these claims.
  15. Inu

Glad this problem is finally getting attention.

Lots of good ideas that would probably all work with proper tweaking.
  16. EaterOfBabies

I would like to see an overheat bar on the medic gun and a way to permanently put corpses down for good, possibly by knifing the corpse or adding in an "anti-revive ability" for the medic or another class. I also like the idea of it taking much longer to revive maxes, and the idea of making the medic stand still, or be much slower, in order to revive.

Teamwork is great, but I'm not entirely sure a dancing, green juice dispensing freak should be able to revive 10 guys in ten seconds without his own team covering his back the whole time while he does his Jesus work.

EoB
    • Up x 1
  17. Simferion

Some spare thoughts:
    1) Nerfing too much the medic's revives will mean the absence of this class. Remember that medic, apart shooting, gets the most of his XPs from revives. If you drastically reduce this capability, there will be no more sense to play medic again.

2) Forcing respawning is a bad idea. I've died a countless of times with some seconds remaining for the capture of a facility. If you force a person respawning after a while he could be too late to get the XPs and this can become frustrating, especially for newbies.
    I agree there should be a time limit for reviving, but no forced respawning.
    • Up x 1
  18. Sock

Maybe it wasn't worded well, by but forced respawns I think it was meant that you simply wouldn't have the option to be revived anymore. Hence, forcing you to respawn. Not physically forcing you to respawn somewhere else.
  19. TheBillOf3D

Yes I tend not to solve problems that I don't think exist. I'm a bad ForumSide player. I'm going to find my old Atari joystick in anticipation for what PS2 will become by the time the collective geniuses on ForumSide solve all its "problems".
  20. Simferion

Ok, then I agree if it's a timed thing.