Remeber this game we used to play...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Qu4dDmg, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Qu4dDmg

... when the devs made sure that repair apps couldn't out repair dps/ttk.
    ... when towers were towers that had to be taken by infantry. Most simplicst design of a spiral stair case was the most fun to be had. TOD!
    ... it was orignal and not a clone.
    ... when gals could drop people off and they could get inside to safety away from tanks to fight infantry vs infantry.
    ... where defending a base gave you something and there was a good chance of defending it.
    ... where the more times you died in a time period would punish you with a longer respawn timer.

RIP ps1 pre BFR.

If you could do the looks of PS2 with the gameplay of PS1. That would be a gold medal.
    • Up x 5
  2. forkyar

just no bfr's
    • Up x 1
  3. JKooL

The open-world base designs is really starting to bother me. I won't say that infantry combat is dead, but I wonder what the dev's were going for exactly because I feel like a chump running around as infantry when in PS1 it was really rewarding most of the time and I only had to worry about grenade spam and not tank and rocket spam.
    • Up x 1
  4. SgtScum

Seems the devs decided to launch the game with limited mechanics so as to ease the f2p chaps into the game then once a large enough core of regular players is achieved they can start including more and more complexity.

As it stands the game is apparently too complex for most of the f2p gamers and they all ran back to bf3 so don't look for the devs to do any of that for a while till they iron out the game a bit more and can re-attract a new batch with a future marketing campaign and review site re-reviews.

Hopefully they won't do that till they get at least a working new player experience included as the current brief speech and hot drop of death ain't doing the game any favors.
  5. Tuco

Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    This'll be the day that I die
  6. d1spatch

I just don't get the base design period. It's AWFUL. There are a couple interesting bases here and there, but no one ever fights at them.

I wouldn't mind seeing a repair speed nerf.
    • Up x 1
  7. Flarestar

I don't really mind the repair speed thing. You need multiple engineers to keep up with vehicle vs. vehicle damage unless the vehicle being damaged is being shot by something not really designed to kill vehicles. And you can just... well, shoot the engineers, frankly, and fix that issue.

The rest of this I absolutely agree with. Planetside 2 is distinctly underwhelming once you get over the first impression, and at this point even the brand new players are going to have a hard time getting the same kind of first impression most of us got in beta, or even at launch.
  8. Qu4dDmg

when you put down your lib, the pilot gunner can out heal aircraft damage til it runs outta ammo.
  9. Auto_Bob

I freaking love this game, even more than I loved PS1. I guess its mostly because I like the shooting mechanics, I like that the low ttk means infantry weapons can actually kill infantry at range instead of having to run around with heavy assault weapons and point blank people. I do have to agree on the base design complaints people bring up. What happened to the planetside 1 bases? You actually had to go into buildings and fight through corridors. I guess the biodome still has a little of this feeling, but tech plants and amp stations don't have any of it. Don't get me wrong, I like a good tank fight, and I like scrambling around the scattered cover as an infantry guy in outdoor fights, but some larger buildings would be a nice change of pace.

*EDIT* -- Also Ant runs...
  10. Tact

This and so much more Qu4dDmg.

The thing that's starting to piss me off is their lack of composure when approaching the Free to play model. Like a catholic school nun suddenly discovering crack cocaine, SOE's gone overboard and it's so addictive she doesn't seem to care of the consequences.

SOE is pumping out garbage for the cash shop, using what is little more than stock models for weapons and vanity items, only to turn around and sell them for 5-7 USD~EURO per one; you can buy a good quality indie game for that price.
    The current selection of weapons is more than enough, yet they seem to want to add more in order to encourage cash shop purchases; the recent additions for NC helmets is pathetic, they literally just grafted a hard-hat on top of the last helmet and expect 7 USD~EURO for that. lol. All this on top of an already well stocked cash shop, and optional subscription.

Oh and in case you wonder why i keep saying USD~EURO, its because apparently SOE is pulling the same sly trick other publishers started a few years back, where they ignore currency conversions - currently makes them 25% more money from European audiences. :)

TLDR = The game is starting to smack of disrespect for its playerbase.
  11. Tuco

Maybe because it has prettier graphics too. *clicks tongue*
  12. SerialNumber1221

This game runs rings around bf3...closest thing I played was MAG on PS3 and that was based on PS1.
  13. Auto_Bob

Well, yes. But to be fair I was, until recently, playing on the lowest possible settings, so it looked eerily simialr to PS1 ; P
  14. SgtScum

This could be solved with large underground 'command' complexes that give some sort of bonus to squads when captured.

Since its all underground only the entrances could be spammed with tanks/air and a few dispersed minor base teleporters like the current biodomes would let you in except for maybe a couple of on site above ground entrances.
  15. Auto_Bob

If it were building complexes it could be fun. Just not another Core Combat. Never really liked it
  16. Metran

Really? So Ps1 was nothing like Battlefield1942 or Tribes 1or2? Oh right, you had to pay per month. Big diff there....

PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN!
  17. hostilechild

Had a hell of a lot more fun in beta, than i have since release and its just getting worse. :mad:
  18. SgtScum

The biggest issue is they were overoptimistic about initial player retention for a f2p game where anyone and everyone can download it for free and launched with too many servers.

There are more than enough regular players to keep the game rolling but they are dispersed across too many servers giving the impression the game is not popular.
    • Up x 1
  19. Aggh

This isn't a trick. You're paying the VAT taxes because the EU requires you to now.
  20. Exmortius

right now i don't think galaxys have ams abilities. and they have not introduced cloaking. that could make things much more interesting alone. along with lodestars helping platoons get their vehicles in good spots quicker. there is a lot they could add that gives tactical advantages to those who pursue them like we had in ps1. right now we are only playing a core game imo. there will be some goodies coming down the road probably with each batch of new continents.