Re-Balancing Tank Mines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ren170299, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ren170299

1. 2 of them are enough to **** up a tank
    2. They don't disappear after a certain amount of time(after the player's death which is a joke)
    3. There is now way of detecting them (unless you are scouting the road)
    4. You could be 1.5meters away form them and they'd still blow up (lol what the ****?)

So. Yeah. I am sure other tankers can come up with more. Tank mines. Easy to get your hands on them, and very effective.
    Problem is, tanks, and other slow, big vehicles already have enough on their plate.
    1. Rocket launchers
    2. C4 Heroes
    3. Other Vehicles
    4. All aircraft
    5. Ridiculous overpowered anti-vehicle turret
    And of course, tank mines.

You see, every other thing on that list you can avoid. Not easy, but avoidable.
    I was just in a heated fight. 96+ players on both teams, a lot of **** going on. Both times, I died because of tank mines. Now. Some of you tank mine worshippers (or low lives no other way to play *** holes) will argue that actually TANK MINES ARE AVOIDABLE.

So of course they are. Problem is, there is only 1 map, (Esamir) where there is open ground. The rest of the maps have loads of trees, mountains, and other unnecessary ****. Which gets me to stick to the road. So in most cases, actually. I have no choice but to stay on the road. (Unless I am playing with an overpowered, never nerfing magrider, I can just climb to the gates of heaven and shoot you from there.)

So maybe you say, well keep your eyes on the road. And frankly, I am always x2 zooming into the road. I just can't x2 zoom into the road when I am shooting **** while going at 69km/h and taking damage from behind. I mean of course I'd love to get out of safety and inspect the perfect camo for the mines, or even better I'd love to call homeland security ask them if they can have a quick check. Or you know what I'll have a cup of coffee with the enemy engineers and ask them if they could please stop. But then again, I can't. Tanks (while very fun to play) are actually very weak, and very easy to kill. So when I am going at 69kmh, getting shot at, shooting other people, I don't really have time to pick up a mine and remove it. (Mainly because they are pretty much invisible)

So the obvious one... Duh just place mineguard. Well no. Why should I have to spend certs to put a mineguard so I can protect myself from an overpowered part of the game? I shouldn't. Because the people who place them mines just leave them there. They don't have to do anything, they don't even need to be alive, they don't need to be any where near the mines. Plus, being a tank driver is already hard enough, being everybody's main target so you can be brought down by something as insignificant as a mine? You know pulling out a tank takes 450 resoures? Pulling out a mine takes 0 time, 0 effort, 0 anything. You don't have to do anything yet is probably the number 1 vehicle killer. Just really stupid.

I've seen games like this before. They never change ****. They don't try they just want your money. Well this game, is going to go down like everyother F2P I know. (Except TF2. You actually need skill in that game)
  2. Ronin Oni

ATM's are perfectly fine FFS.

If they were removed when you died, they'd be useless.

They cost resource

How about not charging down the ROAD at the enemies next base?
    • Up x 8
  3. TheKhopesh

I know why they're upsetting, but they really are better for the game as they are.
    I've played regularly for nearly 3 years now, and I remember the year or so when tank mines were massive, and could be spotted at +50m.

They were useless for anything but cheesing, and the armor spam/zerging was significantly worse than it is now.
    They're a pain (especially for someone like myself, who enjoys cloaker flashing), but they are a necessary evil.
    • Up x 1
  4. breeje

3. Yes there is a way to detect mines
    • Up x 1
  5. DeadlyPeanutt

wall of text notwithstanding,
    tank mines are OK as is and don't need to be changed

There is no lack of tanks even when roads are filled with tank mines. Everyone and their second cousin likes playing target practice with tank mines. they make a nice boom if you shoot them three times with a pistol

yes, you can see them if you have the proper implant, or simply look.
    yes, you can defuse the mine with your tank: shoot it.
    no, tankers don't need an additional edge so they can spam doorways and spawns
    no, tanks mines don't need to disappear when engie dies... engie mostly dies when he tries to put down tank mines, so what's the point?
    yes, you're a tanker who is whining
    no, i'm not listening
    • Up x 1
  6. HadesR

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  7. Ren170299

None of you have made an argument different from the one I've answered. Try again. Or better yet, go on a tank. Find out for yourself. I will repeat myself again. I do look :) I just can't look when I am shooting and getting shot and trying to get away from getting shot :) Do you speak English? I can translate it for you. Habla Ingles? Espanol? Parle pa francais? THERE-IS-TOO-MUCH-****-TRYING-TO-KILL-MY-TANK-HOW-CAN-I-HAVE-TIME-TO-SEARCH-FOR-A-TANK-MINE-WHEN-I-AM-SURROUNDED-BY-OVER-90-PLAYERS? Make them bigger, add some color, I don't give a ****. They are practically invisible in a tank POV. Don't comment your BS comment if you don't know what I am going through.
  8. HadesR

Use the implant ... You don't need to " search " then as they will appear on your mini map ( bugs aside )..

If you do not wish to use the implant, that's your fault and not a fault of the ATM ..
    • Up x 1
  9. Stormsinger

As a bit of background, I play all three factions. In total, I have about 4000 hours played, and I main Engineer, and play ground vehicles more often then everything else. I have virtually every Tank primary / Secondary anywhere from 75%+ to fully maxed out certwise.

That said, I have one problem with tanks mines. They are considered objects, and therefore are fit into the render priority scheme Daybreak has in place, therefore they will not render more often then not. It doesn't matter if you have on EOD hud, as if they do not render, the UI cannot highlight them to inform you that they are there. Regardless of this, they will still blow you up if you drive over them, as the server knows precisely where you are in relation to the mines, and on any continent but Hossin, it tracks when they should explode fairly well. IF there was a cert option to alert you that they were there, and IF the client would actually render them with complete reliability, I would be fine with them.

The point of mines is to place them in good spots where you anticipate vehicles will be passing through, and to allow you to prepare the ground ahead of offenses / defenses, and to generally thin the ranks of advancing vehicles in general. This is healthy overall for game balance, and rewarding for those skilled in finding places to put them - I have no problem with these, I just want there to be a chance of seeing them when driving at over 5kph.

Also, one of the new things being implemented for the ANT construction system is minefields, not just individual mines - Hopefully this will include a few render fixes. If it does not, any minefield implementations will highlight the issue until enough players whine that they do fix it, so I see this as a longterm positive either way.
    • Up x 2
  10. Gnomemercy

Drive along spam Q where you're driving and get your gunners doing the same also.
  11. Chal

The only problem I have with tank mines is when they don't render fast enough (my #1 annoyance at the minute) and you just get instakilled out of nowhere. Seems to be happening alot in large fights since the render changes after the PS4 version came out. If they fixed that than mines are fine and can be countered with the EoD implant and abit of caution when driving through choke points.
  12. FateJH

If you're going to complain about something killing your tank, you will find a little bit of complaint with everything everywhere, as you have pointed out; and, that's a whole other problem with balance over-all; but, you're going to look like a fool calling out tank mines for destroying tanks. Like it or not, someone had the brilliant idea that ground Vehicles have to face an absolutely lethal series of devil's choices and now it's stuck engraved into their design philosophy.

I'd complain about the over-achiever generalist being better at damaging tanks before I'd ever complain about the mines designed against tanks.
  13. ColonelChingles

Really all tanks need is the ability to take along a new cannon, an AI mine dispenser.

When this shell hits, instead of damaging anything at the point of impact, it instead distributes Prox Mines/BBs/Claymores depending on faction. Maybe 8 per shell. It just randomly disperses them in an area. Just like other mines, these will not disappear with the death of a tank. Maybe a maximum of 32 per player will be the maximum limit. If a tank fires more than that, then their first 8 mines (or however many are remaining) will disappear.

I think that's a reasonable thing to have. I mean you essentially convert a MBT into an almost defenseless mine layer. We already have that technology in the 21st century, in the form of 155mm mine dispersal units.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  14. Klypto

No thanks. I have a Vanguard shield.
  15. Antillie

Tank mines are easily countered by infantry. You aren't trying to use a tank without friendly infantry support are you?

I wonder what the OP is going to do the first time he gets C4'd.
  16. SwornJupiter

Easily negated by just looking... seriously they stand out like a sore thumb
    • Up x 1
  17. Ren170299

C4 is a problem. However, as my defence, I have infantry radar system, and I keep an eye for incoming players as I can actually see them. I see all of you just speak but don't read. I am getting the same constant response of just "Look at them." As I said I do keep my eyes out for them, but I can't keep an eye out for everything in the battlefield, and certainly not something as little as a tank mine. Only PC games have a community of *******. Damn I wish there was a PS4 forum. I am more likely to be discussing this topic with an adult rather than with kids. Case dismissed. Apparently something that cannot be spotted, and can kill a heavily armoured vehicle, is clearly not a problem. Hopefully something will get introduced for you aircrafts suckers then you too will be crying.
  18. Ren170299

I have a Prowler, Klypto. We don't get a shield...
  19. Antillie

Can I have some of those unspottable tank mines? Mine keep getting blown up by tanks and infantry before they kill anything. The PS4 (mostly kids) forum is over there. ------->

If you want to play mostly with people over 21 then the PC version is where you want to be.
  20. Lureh

Just a quick question: You are willing to spend certs to keep your tank safe from c4 but not from tank mines?
    Well I guess it is your choice anyways.