Re-Balancing Tank Mines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ren170299, Oct 6, 2015.

1. FateJH

Slot 1 and slot 2? Why are you acting like you want to have a choice at all? Give a slot 3 and a slot 4 too. Why not just let everything be included on a single Sunderer loadout at once, every utility, every weapon, every cosmetic, and make it fly?
  2. SQPD

Just don't use roads. NC are rebels. We don't use roads. If the other factions were rebels and stopped using roads maybe they would stop dying from tank mines. Except for Vanu. They can just fly over it with Cthulhu magic.
    • Up x 2
  3. Rentago

Mines could be balanced around just simply needing to actually place more, the idea that TWO is all you can place, but is more than enough to kill any vehicle is silly.

You should be able to place 10 and require like 4 to kill a sunderer. That way you can actually make minefields instead of just placing a mine.

(Harassers will get set on fire by 1, tanks will take 3, sunderers take 4 in a perfect world)

I think the way anti personnel mines however works just fine.
    • Up x 1
  4. Pelojian

you realize that it is so easy work around that? if it takes 4 to kill a sundie i'll just stack them up, stack another 4 mines just outside the explosion radius of the first 4 and then place two in the middle, any vehicle passing over those mines will be just as dead as they are now when they run over 2-3 now.
  5. Sir Cypher

Where do you get this? I routinely place four mines around. Maybe I just misunderstood something.
  6. Pelojian

You can drop upto 3 tank mines without utility pouch if you have certed them to the max, 5 if you have utility pouch high enough.
  7. ColonelChingles

What we need are mine-clearing vehicles (I guess I suggested mine-laying vehicles so it's only natural to have a counter :p). These would be able to clear explosives in a significant area prior to an advance. They would be incredibly specialized vehicles that would have no other role than combat engineering (such as replacing a Lightning turret with a mine-clearing superstructure).

I'm thinking maybe a version of the Russian UR-77:

[IMG]

The PS2 version wouldn't have that extensive of a range, maybe only clearing a 100m line ahead of it, wide enough to secure a road, for example. But it would also clear a smaller 50m semicircle in front of it.

Rate of fire would be low. Maybe one shot every 30 seconds. Damage from the shot to other heavy vehicles would be non-existent, minimal against light vehicles, and probably not lethal to infantry (for balance sake). It would be a vehicle that you might bring to the fight during the initial phases of conflict, only to ditch once the minefields have been cleared.
  8. CNR4806

Nice slippery slope.
  9. FateJH

Then I'll be less sensational. Why not let Infantry equip to two Suit slots at the same time?
  10. Movoza

Re-Balancing Guns

Infanty have the short stick at everyting! They take 100% damage from every single weapon in the game.
    1. 8 shots is about the maximum to **** up an infantry player
    2. Guns are everywhere and every player is carrying several of them
    3. There is now way of detecting them (unless you are q spotting, scouting or using radar detection systems)
    4. You could be 1.5meters away form them and you'll still blow up (lol what the ****?)

So. Yeah. I am sure other infantry players can come up with more. Guns. Easy to get your hands on them, and very effective.
    Problem is, slow, weak infantry already have enough on their plate.
    1. Vehicles
    2. C4 Heroes
    3. Other infantry
    4. All aircraft
    5. Ridiculous overpowered anti-vehicle turret

And of course, every weapon in the game.

Although I'm all for changing tank mines, don't come up with weak arguments.
    • Up x 1
  11. CMDante

Is there a known bug that causes the EOD implant(rank 3 specifically) to not highlight mines? Two of my tanker friends use it and are constantly swearing that mines right in front of them aren't showing up.
  12. Rentago

oh its the default amount, you can wear a suit slot to increase the amount, but you can hardly claim that is what you call a minefield.

Mostly when people could place up to 12 in planetside 1.
  13. FateJH

Twenty with Combat Engineering (2+3 cert points), and five more with Fortification Engineering (+3 cert points) or Advanced Engineering (+5 cert points).
    • Up x 1
  14. Rentago

Thank you, I couldn't remember the exact number but I knew it was more than 10, something you can't even get near in PS2. I know you can't even place fortifications or tank traps either, but that is besides the point.
  15. Stormsinger

On that note, I want a new Engineer utility pouch:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  16. Mezinov

I am personally not opposed to this idea, for vehicles or for infantry.

Vehicles have 3 customization slots (Utility, Defense, Performance). Infantry have four customization slots (Ability, Suit, Grenade, Utility).

As it stands now, to double or triple up on a wanted ability makes you give up something else. A Vanguard, for example, could take Front Armor, Side Armor and Vanguard Shield - but has now given up a chassis to compensate for their sluggish movement, radar to detect C4 charging infantry, stealth to sneak up on people... ect.

The same could be said for infantry. A Heavy Assault could take Resist Shield, Nanoweave, Flak Armor, and some Medkits - but they now cant Conc nade anybody. Or C4 Sunders/Maxs for an easy finish with their launcher.
    • Up x 1
  17. CNR4806

Haven't really thought of bringing the performance slot into the mix myself, good catch.

Sunderers are going to get stupidly powerful with 3 slots to mix and match freely though (Blockade-Shield-NAR, Blockade-Ammo-Repair, Blockade-Repair-NAR, anyone?)... but I guess infantry being able to make use of slots that they currently don't get much out of will compensate somewhat, or as I mentioned before, some sort of limitation is still needed.
  18. Mezinov

I am not really sure any limitation beside "one of each" is necessary however, especially if infantry get a similar treatment.

An engineer with utility pouch, c4 and mines could do a number on a Blockade+Shield Sunderer - just as an example.

There is also the fact that these Sunderers would be giving up other options for their high durability. I certainly know Racer has saved my Sunderers bacon more often than Blockade armor ever has.
  19. Silkensmooth

I don't like tank mines.

I don't like AI mines.

I don't like a mechanic that allows a player to press one button and blow up an MBT or another player while the person who drops the mine could be dead or on another continent.

Complete cheese.

Not fun staring at the ground all the time to make sure you dont hit a mine. It just isn't.

Zero skill should reward nothing.

Tank mines should be changed to have different effects. You could have mines that paint a target with a spotting substance that makes them stay spotted until they die. You could have mines that slow movement. You could have mines that partially obscure the drivers vision or disable certain systems, like thermals.

What tank mines should NOT be is fire and forget insta vehicle kills. Horrible game mechanic.
  20. Scr1nRusher