Railjack is fine.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Reavx, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Wobberjockey

this is something i wholeheartedly disagree with, as it is a large step down the pay/play to win route.

side grades keep newer players competitive because the starter weapons are never truly rendered useless.
  2. Nephi1im

Because if it doesn't get the straight pull it will never be used EVER. Even if it retains its current stats but didn't get a straight pull I would never buy it.
  3. Nephi1im

Of all areas, I will never understand why people bring up the sidegrade thing with snipers. You know.... since their are 3 tiers of existing snipers that are direct upgrades to their previous tiers?
  4. DxAdder

I just wanted to clear up some confusion for those people that haven't tried the Railjack out for themselves.

Un- Suppressed this weapon has "effectively" no bullet drop at 300m,
    Suppressed it DOES have bullet drop but less than any other bolt action I have ever used at 300m,

Having said that I don't understand why people have a problem with this weapon, the VS are getting a 200m 0HK weapon
    that has no bullet drop, a sem-auto mode and unlimited ammo and people don't seem to have a problem with it,

Everyone BUT the TR hate the Trap (I just don't get what anyone would like this gun) But when it comes to the NC and
    they get a weapon that is based on there faction strenghts and by no means OP why is there this outcry that its a game breaker ?

When you look at the average engagement ranges 150-200m the Longshot is just as good if not better (more ammo, shorter reload)
    and will have access to the straight bolt pull.

I really didn't know there was such bias towards the NC (My main is VS) I just don't get it.
  5. Wobberjockey

they have different time between shots, different amounts of damage, and different head shot ranges.
    the longshot/rams/paralax are best for long range sniping, but they certainly aren't all that much better.

because:
    VS: SASR/BASR hybrid offering midrange flexibility, and an ideal weapon for squad based infiltratos
    TR: Battlerifle+ burst fire mechanic allows the TR infiltrator an accurate, High Punch weapon to use in closer quarters, but the burst makes the weapon less idea at longer ranges
    NC: a tier 4 sniper rifle, that does everything the longshot does, but better, at the cost of 1 bullet per magazine.

or in other words.
    new play style / new play style / same old stuff just a new shiny tool to do it with.

and it's not like the forums haven't come up with ways to make it interesting either.
    a rifle that does more damage as the bullet travels, a rifle that could over penetrate, the idea of overcharging the coils and using a large amount of ammo to achieve the high velocity and light AV capability the weapon could have... the list goes on.

the community hates the rail jack because at the end of the day it offers nothing new. no new role for the NC to play.
    instead, it give them a tool that basically is a longshot +1.

and that's really sad
  6. D-Spirith

How is RailJack a direct upgrade to Longshot if it has one less bullet in the magazine and longer champer time?
  7. TheMercator

Because people claim it. Theoretically its the same thing with Longshot and Bolt Driver. You get more range for OHK and bulletspeed, in exchange for refiring time. The third SR is somehow inbetween, but I have now idea, what makes it usefull.
  8. Cromell

Much faster projectile velocity? One less bullet and a bit longer chamber time are not detrimental factors for sniper rifles. The higher damage really isn't important, as typically you would be going for headshots anyway, but does increase the chances of succesful bodyshot kills on slightly wounded targets. Which means that Railjack does NOT come with any sort of real disadvantage, especially since apparently you will be able to suppress it (and still have really good velocity) AND put a straight pull bolt. In my opinion depriving the Railjack of those attachements would prevent other sniper rifles from becoming redundant. Which would be a nice change compared to previous generations of sniper rifles.

I'll have you know, prowler's lockdown was nerfed because of the very high projectile velocity bonus.
  9. Nephi1im

So the same drawbacks eash tier of sniper rifles have is somehow not alright for this? You take away the attachments, it's useless. No one other than people with too many certs would take it over the longshot.

Did you really just compare the "machine gun mode" tank upgrade being nerfed to a high velocity single shot rifle...... riiiiiight.
  10. Nephi1im

Sort of random off topic, but the tier 2 rifles are pretty much just preference. They are functionally similar to the other two of course, but some like the looks, or are just so familiar with the speed and drop, they don't take tier 3.
  11. gnometheft

As smeone else mentioned in another thread, this thing lost the straight pull bolt it looks like on test. Id argue If this is the case it stands alongside the longshot as a sidegrade.
  12. Reavx

Don't really care about the straight pull bolt much my self, it just makes life easier.
  13. D-Spirith

No matter how convenient/inconvenient these downgrades are for you, they are still compelling downgrades of the Railjack comparing with Longshot. You can no longer say it is a direct upgrade to the Longshot because of this fact.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

These empire specific rifles only exist because the development team has had these models completed prior to the reversal on the whole proposed range cap. With the entire Infiltrator update rushed in such an expedient manner, what did you expect to happen? There's an easy prediction that we can all make here, just look towards the empire specific MAX abilities. This time, however, it's likely that the New Conglomerate and the Vanu Sovereignty will both get crippled after hitting live in a few months...the Terran Republic just, as per usual, don't get anything interesting enough to require nerfing it.

Ultimately...we'll be left with lackluster rifles.

I'm not purchasing the Shade, I'm just getting the rail attachment for my Parallax. I'm not falling into this trap.
    • Up x 3
  15. ISKNausicaa

Hmm just did a recheck on a hunch about the straight pull attachment, its not available for any rifle outside the PTR VR.

On another note i did some testing on the rechamber numbers as the stats slated ingame are bollocks (if those numbers were true the longshot and railjack would rechamber faster than the SAS-R, which they do not).

SAS-R 1.3s
    Bolt 1.6s
    LA80 1.7s
    Longshot 1.8s
    Railjack 2.1s
  16. Gadamlu

see my video on page one.
    • Up x 1
  17. Wobberjockey

i was playing around with the railjack last night.
    as a rough guess, at 300m, the suppressed railjack has bullet drop equal to the the unsurpressed longshot.
    and the unsurpressed railjack really does have no bullet drop to speak of. aim of the head, hit the head. that simple.
  18. D-Spirith

Good, now "How is RailJack a direct upgrade to Longshot"?
  19. Cromell

Yes, yes I can. It is an upgrade in areas THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. That's also why I think that current sniper rifle tiers are just terrible. The only real sidegrade is between low zoom BASR and a high zoom BASR. But there are 3 BASRs and they are all, one after another, just better sniper rifles.

It's funny because everyone defending Railjack are clinging to words - "oh but it's not hitscan because it still has bullet travel time", "oh but it's not direct upgrade, it has longer chamber time!". It really is tiring and pointless because we can argue semantics back and forth and that won't change the fact that Railjack upon getting released will simply be a go to BASR for NC, making all others not needed any more, unless they decide to lower prices for older BASRs.
    • Up x 1
  20. Dragonblood

Make that railguns tracers super bright and active for 3 seconds. Superior damage and accuracy but bad at being stealthy.
    • Up x 2