R.I.P Miller

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DMan6505, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Shinrah

Semantics at it´s finest. The result is the same --wether you call it overpop or less underpop-- VS and NC have to fight superior numbers on every continent. A couple of month ago the overall population was high enough to keep at least Indar pop-locked, thus allowing for one continent to be balanced -- the others were just the same as they are now. However, lately not even Indar is poplocked during primetime.

While this is correct it´s miles from reality. You assume that those 10 players are a constant that remains even if the overall population dwindles. What makes you think that the "spill over" (the 10 extra guys) does not dwindle with the same ratio as the rest of the population? Are those "extras" some kind of ultraloyal players?
    Bar any additonal influences the amount of extra players the TR has will decrease with the same ratio as the overall population. So if the population shrinks from 1000 to 100 the 10 extra guys would shrink to one extra player. This is far more likely than what you describe.

The time where the sever was poplocked on 2 or even 3 continents, thereby putting the extra TR in a queue, is long gone. The population imbalance on Miller has been there for several month now, and it´s not getting any better. Whatever the causes may be, I can assure you that logging in on a Saturday evening to find out TR has 50% of the global population does not motivate NC or VS players to keep playing.
    Especially Esamir and Amerish are a pain these days, if one faction has above 50% population on one continent you will eventually get steamrolled.
    • Up x 4
  2. Stigma

Well.. YES, like every other player on every other server and faction you are responsible for where you choose to fight. Either give up and move elsewhere, or rally your allies to that continent.

When the NC has more world pop and has less people on esamir that means you have way more on some other continent. How the bloody he|| is that the VS's fault? If you want to complain to someone then complain to your faction-mates that they aren't coming to help you contest amerish. If the VS has nothing more important to defend elsewhere and amerish is poorly defended then OF COURSE the VS will take amerish continent bonus. This is like strategy 101... I can't believe I have to explain how this works.

If you take issue with fights in this game not always being 1-to-1 then fine... that's an opinion you are free to have, but no one could do anything about that aside from SOE and it will very likely never happen in this game due to its basic design. More than likely you will either have to just accept it and play with it, or move to some round-based game like BF3 where you have 2 equal teams (not intended as an insult btw, i play BF3 myself). SOE would have to lock down continents as son as you were off-peak so that some people would have no choice but to fill up all the continents.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  3. Arquin

Bf3 sucks.

And that was definitely meant as an insult.

Again, miller is fine. I am quite happy with my exp bonuses
  4. Shinrah

Welcome to the minorty, primetime is somewhere between 19:00 and 23:00 cet. Add or subtract an hour for your timezone at your leisure.
    Most people simply work during the day and finish somewhere during the late afternoon, so the "evening" is when most of them log into the game, all the posted server stats show this. You may have a different work schedule but that does not have any impact on what prime time is considered to be.
    That´s why above all people cite the population during primetime, it´s when a faction imbalance is noticed and suffered through by the biggest chunk of the playerbase.
    That does not mean faction imbalance outside prime hours doesn´t matter, but it matters less because less people are affected.
  5. Stigma

I don't think the lattice affects the alerts too much.

the main reason why the VS wins a fair amount of alerts is because the alert continent tends to reach its population limit unless it is very off-prime time. That means that for that one continent at least the population is nearly always 33/33/33. When that happens it is usually down to smart strategy and organization to decide the winner, and I think the VS has a small edge in the organization aspect. In any case it is very open for any of the factions to win the alert at that point because of the continent pop lock making it such a level playing-field.

off-prime it isn't exactly as nice... if there is too little population to pop-lock the continent then the empire with the most world-pop will just bring more men to the fight and win by numbers. Sometimes when TR has done this lately and people have just not even bothered to fight on the alert continent because they see that they are out-numbered 2-to-1 and figure that it is better to try to use the opportunity to break the TRs lock on some other continent while they are hopefully busy zerging around in empty bases...

-Stigma
  6. Arquin

Nice logic, Shinrah. I am sure the palestinians, people without food and slaves agree. Because, hey, who cares? Theyre a minority of people.
  7. Arquin

That went maybe off-target.

Off peak hours MATTER. THE END.
  8. DasHenne

I don't want to argue about the reasons for the population imbalance. It could very well be like Ghost said and the general shrinkage is leading to the situation we have now. I for one am really not sure if you can pinpoint one exact reason for the TR having often as much players online as the other factions combined.
    In any case it does not really matter anyway. Fact is that there is a severe population imbalance (whatever the reasons for that may be) that is making the game incredibly not fun to play for a whole lot of people. And if SOE is not willing to do anything against it (Again.. whatever -that- may be.. I honestly don't know myself), then things will only start to get worse and worse.
    Personally I would love to hear a comment from SOE on the issue just to see that they are aware of the situation at least. :/
  9. Stigma

Given that it is completely irrelevant to his complaint weather or not he was playing in prime-time or off-prime there is no reason to discuss it further. (because this scenario can and will happen regardles of time of day/population). This poster is all over the place and isn't making sense - or otherwise he has some very basic misconceptions about how the game works at a basic level. One would hope not at BR39, but I've seen worse examples...

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  10. GhostAvatar

I am not assuming anything, simple go check it yourself; http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php?world=10&timezone=0&allfactions=false
  11. Myka

It really isn't. You might be happy with your xp bonuses, but for the rest of us that actually care about having some fun while we play, getting roflstomped by huge TR zergs literally every ******* night got old months ago. It's now June, and still nothing has been done.

It's getting to the point where the outfit I'm in has members talking about leaving for other servers the very second transfer tokens become available, and I can't say I blame them. TR overpopulation on Miller is a massive problem that only a server merge or 'Recommended' status for new EU NC/VS can fix.
    • Up x 1
  12. DasHenne

Again: It is hard to argue that that graph shows a very clear populations imbalance. And yes, you are right that the overall population has decreased and that the reasons for the imbalance are maybe not as clear as some poeple want to make them out as. But nevertheless we are dealing with a very heavy population imbalance here. There is no arguing with that.
    • Up x 2
  13. Vanus Aran

Im not egoistical enough to know that the zergers are having a bad time too.
    If the thing you spoke of gets implanted and I get lets say 100% extra-experience because one empire got perfectly as double as much players as VS - its a massive loss for the zergers.
    They are zerging weak bases, have very few enemys to shot and vehicles to destroy and even tough they are winning, their overall xp is very low.

Its true, they wont just switch empires because their faction is overpopulating the server.
    They got their characters with all the certs, their outfits, their circles. I dont wish that they have to give all that up just because their empires player-density is overwhelming.

There is no other choice. I guess SOE should do something entirely new.
    And I will open a thread now to suggest it.
  14. kennonfodder

Miller is a server full of veterans and diehards nowadays. And that´s a serious problem.

Where is the fresh blood? Where are all the former players gone? Did 80% of the player base just left the server, or the game entirely? PS 2 does not deserve such a sad scenario

Pretty sure its not a server only problem, so the blind fu cks repeating their "all is fine, dont merge my underpopulated server where I feel like a king" , or those faction-focussed trolls "faction XYZ is so bad, we XYZ rule"....please wake up.

We all face the same problem
  15. HellasVagabond

And here is the problem of this game. Whenever a faction feels underpopulated they move to another continent to overpopulate it compared to the enemy. As long as this is happening there will never be a solution for overpopulation.
  16. Goretzu

Indeed over-dominant factions result in total server population loss, which is never a good thing.
  17. NightmareP69

TR are pretty much the number one reason why the game is unplayable on some servers, Miller,Waterson and Ceres are a hell hole for all VS.
    What's even worser the TR keep defending them self by saying we get more pops yet in all 3 servers VS struggles to get 25% sometimes.
    I dislike the entire PS2 community but the TR just take the sh*t crown for being the worst.
    90% of the TR player base is actively trying to destroy this game even more.
  18. IronWarrior

Oh please, I kill and get killed by low BR's all the time, there is many still joining.
  19. Stigma

I'm not sure why you feel this is a big problem. As VS, with consistently the lowest population during the whole day, our organized outfits will make every effort to get our people to where they need to be. For example if we already hold amerish and we see that TR are making a push to capture it we will do out best to come block the attempt. Usually, defending a continent from a lock requires less men and less work than capturing it - at least if you make an organized attempt at it. usually, even with a lower pop we can manage this or at least make a fair battle out of it. In primetime we might even force a continent lock with numbers basically forcing a fair fight. The only real problems arise when the population imbalance is real bad off-prime so the numbers become overwhelming (like when TR bulldozed Indar with 68-72%), or if the population imbalance overall becomes so bad that we are basically stretched too thin to cover our bases and have to sacrifice one thing to save another (to be fair that would sometimes happen even with even pops, especially if you already say - had 3 cont locks).

If you already have the manpower to match your enemy (or better yet for the NC, the same and more in regards to the VS) but you choose to allocate them elsewhere, or just don't have the organization to make sure they go where they are needed - then sorry, you just don't have a valid complaint. If you think that not having 1-to-1 sized fights is a flaw in this game then you have a problem with one of the basic design choices in the game because it is absolutely not designed like that in the first place. Number are supposed to give you a strategic advantage - but given equal overall numbers on the server you are paying a price for outnumbering the enemy in one place - because you will obviously be outnumbered elsewhere. Making the choice of how much to send where is a big part of being effective at the strategic metagame, just like in any RTS.

I wasn't playing on NC at the time so I can't say what happened, but given that there were basically "no" NC on the cont at the time (the fight was between VS and TR, the NC weren't even being a nuisance) I would guess that this was simply because (A) the NC had nothing to defend there - no cont lock, and (B) likely they were trying to accomplish something meaningful elsewhere (well hopefully anyway...).

You don't have to sit by and be disgruntled about these things you know. Cert up for the leader channel. Lead a squad or platoon, or better yet join an outfit or even lead/start one, then you might just get to influence or control where the battles will take place. Even if you don't then you might at least gain some understanding why people were choosing not to come help you there in the first place...

and finally, even if you attempt none of those things you can at least control yourself. If you hate being outnumbered then go join whatever zerg you want. If you want to be more effective and really help your empire then be strategic and ask yourself where you can do the most good. Sometimes that will involve just harassing the enemy and delaying them the best you can despite overwhelming numbers - buying time for the bigger forces to finish up whatever they are doing and come help you before X or Y happens.

-Stigma
  20. VanuSmile

no.. there is not a problem with TR balancing on PS2..
    All TR from Miller said it on this post ;) , and no reaction from soe for months proove they agree them.

TR have the best weapon/vehicule for 70% of the game, so majority of noobs/kids/noskill play TR, so best weapon/vehicule are linked to poor skilled ppl, so stats doesn't show the reality of weapon/vehicule balancing at equal skilled level!
    just admit that SOE!

the pb is that middle payer who play TR are just op, and skilled players are monster..
    this is just the mass of TR noob who rebalancing the stats and make the illusion of a balanced game which isn't!
    forget weapon stats annalysis and look at population/territory control stats for months!