Put the HA shield nerf in already

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Paperlamp, May 1, 2014.

1. ColonelChingles

Some of the best performing (highest kills per hour) firearms are as follows:

NS Vandal (Scout Rifle)- 35
    TRAP-M1 (Scout/Sniper Rifle)- 33
    SVA-88 (LMG)- 31
    NC05 Jackhammer (Shotgun)- 31
    MKV Suppressed (SMG)- 29
    VX29 Polaris (LMG)- 29
    LA39 Bruiser (Shotgun)- 29
    LA1 Anchor (LMG)- 29
    Deimos VA29 (LMG)- 29
    NC6S Gauss SAW S (LMG)- 28

The new carbines have really high AKPH as well, but I figure that's because they're new and only picked up by good players.

The "best" assault rifle is the T9 CARV-S, with an AKPH of 28. It's close to the top 10, but not quite there.

So really the CQB LMGs generally outperform the assault rifles (though the CoF LMG updates might change this slightly). This is also true of the SVA-88 and its 0.75 ADS multiplier.
  2. JorgeSarcos

After nerfing your so "iWin button" please ask for the "iWin Button" from Infils (uncloack and instantly fire your main weapon) to be removed too, and Light Assaults too (Jumper jets), because the only fair trade is they all have the same delay. This nerfs are getting really childish by now... HA shield is ok as it is, grow up!
    • Up x 9
  3. RyanGUK

Take those stats with a pinch of salt, the Heavy is arguably the most played class in the game therefore it's bound to have more deaths.

HAs arent fine and I run one the majority of the time. The shield should have a load up period but it shouldn't be classed as a nerf. A change in functionality isn't a nerf to the shield, it's simply making you think ahead. Once the shield is up, it's going to be just as strong as ever.

The other idea is for the shield to rev up so when you hit the button it's not at full strength and takes like 1-2 seconds to go full strength but if it's shot during that time, the damage stops the shield generating for 0.5 seconds. That's just random figures but I'd be game for that. You don't lose your initial padding but it's subsequently less for the price of using it as a bit of a cheese shield.
    • Up x 1
  4. Corvus Corax

Either LMG or a Rocket Launcher? This would require so many rebalances of those weapons that it wouldn't even be worth it.
    And I only wish LMGs were 'heavy weapons'.
  5. Erendil

Yeah, they're exactly the same, except that Flak and Nano don't stop working after a few seconds or after you get hit with 2-4 bullets, don't have a recharge timer, don't slow down your movement, don't interfere w/ your night vision, and don't make you light up like a Santa lawn ornament. :p

I thought this would be rather self-evident, but most of the Class special abilities give their respective Class capabilities that are beyond what is possible when playing one of the other classes. That's kinda the point. They're designed that way.

The OverShield is one of HA's special abilities. With the OverShield, HA gets extra protection from both bullets and explosions. It's intended to work like that. Just like Engies are the only ones that have unlimited AI and AV ammo (ammo pack and AV MANA turret), Medics are the only ones w/ unlimited healing, etc.

If HA could carry carbines in a second slot I'd be fine with forcing them to choose between carrying an LMG or AV in the primary. I agree that being able to carry both simultaneously is a little OTT. Not sure about forcing LMG users to carry just a pistol tho. I'd probably end up just not using LMGs if that were the case and just stick to carbine + AV.

I would love it if they did this, so long as it doesn't require your average player to pull out a calculator each time they want to change their inventory. :D Rather than require number crunching, they could represent different weight/mass values with different inventory slots. The more slots that are filled, the heavier the loadout.

Even something simple like, "the larger the weapon, the slower you move" would be preferable to what we have now.
  6. Drippyskippy

You have it backwards my friend. Nerfing things makes the game more difficult. Let me use an example...

Lets say I have a gun that shoots in a 360 directional area. This gun one shots any player within 20 meters. Now you would be racking up a lot of kills with this gun and it would be super easy to use....Now lets say this gun gets nerfed. Now it only shoots in a 180 direction area and one shots people in a 20 meter range. The player with this gun in its nerfed state will be dying much more due to players behind him within 20 meters not dying and therefore will be able to shoot back. Do you understand how nerfing makes the game more difficult now?

Cool stats bro. Unfortunately you don't know how to interpret stats correctly. Using a kills per hour stat is a terrible way to say "LMG's are the best guns in the game". Considering medics use assault rifles exclusively and they have other things they need to do like heal people and revive people, their kill stats of course are going to be lower in a time based stat. Where as heavy's and infiltrators main purpose is to kill people. So while that heavy is rushing points and killing people, that medic is in the back lines healing and reviving people. I'll reiterate my point again...your stats prove nothing.
  7. Axehilt

Bound to have more deaths? What do you mean? These are K/D and SPM I'm talking about. They're efficiency stats. You're not going to magically get higher K/D by playing longer, because these stats measure efficiency, not playtime.
    • Up x 1
  8. Axehilt

MAX weapons tend to match or exceed the highest weapons on AKPH lists, yet here we are in a thread discussing HA balance when everyone (OP included) has a completely broken K/D and SPM with MAXes and they're blatantly overpowered for indoor combat.
    • Up x 2
  9. Eyeklops

The Heavy Assault class as a whole performs better at killing infantry, because they are supposed to, but the Assault Rifles are the better weapons. LMG vs AR isn't even an issue that gets debated around here because few people would argue which is the better weapon.
    • Up x 1
  10. Sith

Yeah, they should make MAX's cost like 350 infantry resources to spawn, as well as a cooldown timer or something. Don't allow em to hotdrop via instant action, or spawn beacon. Don't allow them to have an effect on capture points, or gun for harassers or MBT's, pilot anything... You'd think the dev's would do SOMETHING about em' already.
    • Up x 8
  11. Paisty

The shields were nerfed the way you want them to be, last year! None of the HA shields protect against explosives for over 12 months now.

Also anytime any of the 3 shields are "up" there already is a movement penalty.

Lastly if you are not shooting HA's in the head, where the shield does not protect, then you are doing it wrong from the start. Surprise,surprise........
    • Up x 1
  12. ColonelChingles

Of course, the role of the Light Assault is to also kill things... and yet the carbines don't do nearly as well as other weapons. And most Infiltrator weapons (apart from the Vandal and TRAP-M1) are actually much much worse performers.

Not to mention that these stats are calculated for when the weapons are equipped... a Medic with their Medic Tool out simply wouldn't take a hit to their KPH.

The stats show that per hour of equipped usage, many LMGs will kill more people than any assault rifle. In my book, that makes it a "better" firearm.

If this is true, then why do some ARs perform better than some LMGs? For example, the GD-22S LMG is outperformed or matched by 7 different ARs.

To me, that says that the class benefits don't have as much to do with KPH as you're suggesting. After all the Medic also has combat efficiency bonuses... self-healing mid-combat and arriving to every engagement with full HP is a powerful "shield" as well!

LMGs really should be redesigned in this game with horrible hipfire and significantly slower ADS movement speed. The real reason to have one is just to lockdown an area or suppress enemy soldiers.
  13. ColonelChingles

This is true? I can't find information that can confirm or deny this. Do you know which patch it was?

I was talking about HAs always being slower even without a shield because they are carrying both a LMG and a rocket launcher (not to mention a shield generator). It has nothing to do with whether the shield is activated or not.

This of course applies to all infantry targets, including the lowly Infiltrator. Don't see why the HA should need "special" attention paid to the head.
  14. Mxiter

Soon, "heavy assault" will be renamed "assault" :(
    • Up x 2
  15. Axehilt

None of those "disadvantages" actually address MAXes being overpowered though. They completely avoid balancing what makes MAXes overpowered (the combat capabilities, combined with being uncounterable with even numbers.)

And that's why they put out such ridiculously overpowered numbers in spite of those "disadvantages". It's why any smart player is going to stomp all over unorganized play by picking MAX most of the time, and it's way organized play is extremely MAX-heavy (because outfits understand that MAXes are by far the most powerful class for indoor fighting.)

The game would be deeper and more interesting without an "I win" class trumping everyone indoors. A good PVP game is won through skillful competition, not at the class select screen.
    • Up x 2
  16. RyanGUK

I meant the amount of players who play a Heavy, there'd be a larger saturation of Heavy players than there would be MAX users.

That was just my thought process.
  17. salembeats

As much as they frustrate me from time to time, I'm not sure that the current HA shields need to be changed.

What would happen if they added a new HA shield which is functionally equivalent to Resist or NMG, except that it has no movement penalty and requires a spin-up time instead?

While we're at it, we could give ZOE to LAs.
  18. TheFamilyGhost

That gun wouldn't need to be nerfed if it was the one you used.

Extreme examples do not hide the sense of entitlement.

How about we all face up to the fact that this is a killing game and sometimes we get killed. Getting killed doesn't mean something is OP, it means we made a mistake that got us killed. Own your experience, don't put it on someone else.
  19. Erendil

Wrong and wrong. HA OverShields protect against both explosives and headshots.

The whole point of the OverShield as stated by the Devs is to give HA more protection against vehicle ordnance (both explosive and otherwise) when trying to use their AV.

And post-PU02 I have survived numerous headshots from would-be OHK sniper rounds specifically because I activated my OverShield before sticking my head out from behind cover (one of my favorite pastimes is countersniping as HA while wielding the Eidolon :D so I get shot at by snipers a lot).

Resist Shield specifically won't protect against any bullet that does 400 or more base damage (i.e.-damage before the headshot multiplier). But that has nothing to do with where you get hit.
  20. Eyeklops

There are 2 base infantry classes meant for attacking, LA & HA (hence the term "assault" in their names). Combat medics should be behind HA's, and Engineers behind MAX's. Combat medics & Engineers should not win against HA's skill for skill on average, they are not meant for that role.

So then you have to look at balancing HA vs LA:
    LA's special ability is the jumpjet, which allows the class to get the "jump" on HA with a surprise attack from an unusual angle.
    HA's special ability (then NMG in particular) is a shield that acts as an equalizer to the "jump" LA can get on them.

If you add a delay to the HA shield it's no longer a counter to the "jump" LA can get, and LA will be overpowered vs HA.

If you lose to an HA* and his "I win shield :rolleyes:" as an Engineer or Medic the first thing to ask yourself was "Where was your Heavy/Max, and why were you not behind them?"

* - Or LA when they use jump jets to attack from an advantageous angle.

NOTE: If the HA shield gets nerfed, there is a chance "medic trains" could become OP. With how fast revives are now (not to mention rez nades), it's already close to OP in a well organized squad.
    • Up x 3