[PTS] Major change to knife mechanics.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by FCAvenger, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Admiralty

In regards to the knifing mechanic, I feel that BF3 did it right. Quick slash did less damage than when you equipped the knife. I don't feel that taking away the mechanic would benefit the game in any way, just give it a few tweaks + the addition of a stronger, equippable knife would be a viable option.
    • Up x 1
  2. K2k4

it makes sense to have insta knife rather than just having a bayonette at the end of all your weapons... I mean a bayonette could simply be added instead of knifing but it'd mess with the game's aesthetic look.
  3. bPostal

Come on Chainblade!
    • Up x 4
  4. Sixty

I think quick draw remove is historically first good step forward for game itself. In Planetside 1 knifes are also equipable and no one whining about "quick draw" If quick draw want to be stay, then he must transform in to something different. For me its Bayonet (You can attach our own "hand" knife as upgrade of the weapon) or Rifle butt smash with Concussive grenade Effect. Quick draw are good only in hur dur arena games with fast mindless combat. Not this. When i getting killed by quick draw in every situation enemy ram me with 10 bullets in head..and of course slash aimed on toe and IK.. This is wrong way how knife attack even work. Backstabb or thrust? Ok. Forward slash attack and hit with tip of edge against armored and armed solider? No way.
    • Up x 3
  5. BillBoBaggins

I like the new idea,now you will have to think when to knife rather just a iwin panic button.
    Makes me laugh how we can take so much damage from bullets etc but a slash of the knife pretty much kills you.
    • Up x 2
  6. libbmaster

...This is an absurd over-reaction.

Please don't be that guy, we have enough of that on these forums.

I see this as a buff to infils as they will now be able to quickly stealth kill without expending ammo, assuming that they significantly decrease the swing time compared to the quick knife.
    • Up x 3
  7. BaronX13

Oh yeah, panic button. It's so cheap. Takes no skill. Mhmm, mhmm. Seriously? Are you guys sick in the head?

Ok first, the enemy has too shoot at you first for that shoot/knife combo. So it's not like you have no warning. Second, the only time it kills you without being able to retaliate is when they are behind you...which is called flanking. Whether they knifed you or not...chances are you woulda died. If you are complaining that they did it from in front of you, then you done goofed. If they were in front of you, chances are you coulda shot them WAY before they got into knife range. If they WEREN'T, then they just had quick reflexes/motor skills....which is skill. Don't nerf skill. And it isn't unfair at all....EVERYONE has the knife. Just because you can't do it quicker than them doesn't mean anything is wrong...it just means you were less skilled in that particular area.

Panic button? Might as well nerf pistols, especially the snub revolver. Why? The main use for pistols is...you guessed it...panic button. "OH NOES, OUT OF AMMO" pull out your pistol to finish them off. Same thing as a knife, just the knife is better at it at KISSING distance. (Notice I said main use...not only use...so don't reply with "Oh I use my pistol for blah blah blah". The main use is a panic button.)

Seriously...how you gonna call for a nerf at kissing distance. They literally have to be like RIGHT THERE. It takes ALOT of skill to position yourself close enough where you can pull off a shoot/knife combo. Either that, or alot of skill to have the reflex to do it in a hurried panic. Think I'm lying? Go up against someone like me, who mastered the shoot/knife combo. Try to use the same combo. Chances are...you'll lose...cause its a skill you didn't pick up, or your playstyle is different. It's not cheesing at all, nor is it cheap. Why? Because it takes SKILL, which this game needs.

On another note, if you do nerf it...you basically take the knife out of the game. No one in their right mind is going to run around with a knife unless it is for giggles or just cause they want to feel cool. Don't believe me? Go ahead and 1 vs 1 me right now on live, just use your knife, let me use my gun. If you can hit (not kill, just hit) me once before I kill you, I'll admit I'm wrong. Why? Cause, durr durr, I'll shoot you before you get close enough to even TRY and knife me. Which is basically how it will be if you have to pull out your knife.

There is NOTHING, bar none NOTHING wrong with the quick knife mechanic in this game. It's fluid, it's intuitive, and it's effective. In fact more weapons should feel so seemless to add to the pace and "feel" of the game and motion of the battle. It takes skill, and quick reflexes. Everyone has it. It doesn't one hit KO. It's high risk/high reward. Go ahead and miss once with your knife and see if you survive. So tell me, what exactly about it is so "cheese, OP, cheap, no skill". Cause to me it sounds like a bunch of crap.

And last, as to the aesthetics of the quick knife. So it does seem rather strange he can just whip out his knife all hunky dory, I can agree to that. Simple fix. Use a similar knifing animation to that Star Wars Republic Commando game. Basically, the knife is stored within the wrist-guard of the character and when you knife, he shoves his fist forward like a punch and the blade springs out all assassin creed style. Boom, fixed.

Something like this.

[IMG]

Nothing is inherently wrong with the quick knife. So...there is NO reason to change it. SOE shouldn't be "fixing" problems that were never problems in the first place. Leave the knife as it is, they are fine. There are no "OMG KNIFE OP" threads. And if there are any, where do the nerfs stop....cause nerfing a freaking knife is ridiculous. Not broken don't fix it, don't wast company resources working on something almost no one cares to change, especially considering that if you DO change it...you're going to piss off ALOT of players.

so...yeah
    • Up x 1
  8. SharpeShooter

how is it absurd? swords in a FPS futuristic game! Its a ridicules!
    • Up x 1
  9. IamDH

I dont think you are seeing the whole picture
    • Up x 3
  10. libbmaster

... It's absurd to automatically assume that they will add swords.

But I'm starting to think you know that.
  11. LibertyRevolution

If I have to equip my melee weapon, it sure the hell better be a OHK like a pump shotgun.

I want a OKH lightsaber for my VS light assault. I will pay $10 for it.
    • Up x 1
  12. Wecomeinpeace

If that is the case i'm all for it. Quick-knifing is stupid imo. I would even prefer it just being a weapon like any other, switch to it, use it. No Middle-Mouse stuff and using knives while you are having a weapon out.
  13. Bape

This is a big blow to infiltrators big time.
    • Up x 2
  14. Fenrisk

Anyone complaining about being knifed is a bad player. Knives don't instant kill you in this game unlike other fps titles and the ttk of a knife+quick draw is about the same as being shot in the back at the same range. Knife+quick draw is mostly a infiltrator tactic to remain unnoticed but only low brs tend to be the victims.
    • Up x 1
  15. Stigma

Under what circumstance would you ever use that though?

2 knife swings is slower than the TTK of just about any alternative, including using a any pistol, and you leave yourself at a huge disadvantage if the player actually reacts fast, turns around, someone else interrupts the situation ect. In short, if there are no benefits to using a knife over anything else I don't see who would ever use it aside from purpose of humiliation/challange stuff.

If knife was an "assasination" type garantueed kill from behind like battlefield 3/4 then maybe it could be a viable thing to use if you needed stealth and had no supressor once in a while - but with the current 2-swing requirement? No. 1 swing is instant currently, but "cooldown" from swinging to be able to do anything else - including swinging again is too long for that to be reliable. I've countered players who tried to dual-swing me and won even when they had total surprise. For a heavy who can flip his shield on and take 3 swings it would be even easier.

-Stigma
  16. Stigma

That's the gist of it. If you are taken by surprise from the back you are dead. The knife doesn't really play into it in such a situation and is more of a style-choice. If they just kept firing their primary you'd be dead regardless.

Quickknife is only really a stronger alternative than keep firing if you are face-to-face in knife distance, and even then you risk misclaculating your opponents health. Swing too soon and you don't kill him and then have a significant cooldown to do anything - usually meaning you die instead. I think that's a fair thing especially considering that everyone has access to the same option.

Out of about 14.000 kills (as an infantry class) on my current character less than 1,7% of my kills are knife-finishers, and I play a lot of CQC in general and a fair amount of infil, so I'd expect my knife usage to be a good deal higher than the average. I'ts not like the knife is some sort of crutch tactic or something that is even viable to attempt in the vast majority of situations. In a game where most guns have a TTK of maybe half a second excluding headshots, there isn't much opportunity to close to knife distance unless you get total surprise.

-Stigma
  17. Mustarde

I can't say I like this change. It will have a huge impact on my ability to defend a sniping position. I will also have to reconsider the high regard I hold my TX2 emperor in - it was great for setting up knfie kills. I might have to think more about the spray/pray repeater...

Edit: Also saw some comments about two knife hits taking a long time... it's actually very easy to take someone from full health down with two knife hits because presuming they haven't seen you, their reaction time won't be fast enough to run away before you land the second knife hit.
    • Up x 3
  18. SenEvason

Key word right there. Besides, it wouldn't be the first futuristic game to have swords, and it won't be the last.
    • Up x 1
  19. WyrdHarper

The roadmap states that they're planning on keeping the quicknife--they're likely just changing how it works a bit, so we'll have to wait and see.

@BaronX13
    I'd love it if we got the wristblades of Republic Commando to replace the current quick knife if those melee weapons are going to be their own slot anyway. Those things looked pretty cool, and made a lot of sense immersion-wise.
    • Up x 2
  20. Utrooperx

To the gentleman declaring "You got out-played..." by the opponent that ran straight at you...while you were shooting him with a ~600 RPM rifle...and he was dancing/twitching/jerking to every hit...and knifed you...

Please do a bit of reading:

Hit Detection inconsistencies
    • Description: We have tracked many of the recent issues with hit detection to anti-cheat validation on the server. This can be made worse by having a slower or unstable connection to the game server.
    • Status: We're making some adjustments to the thresholds for the validations which will be going live over the next few days and continuing to monitor. Additionally, in the next few weeks we are going to put in some more information about the quality of your connection state so that you can be better informed when connection related errors are occurring.
    Please note, on one hand we have SoE acknowledging that the game coding for hit detection is randomly FUBAR'ed.

On the other, they lamely try to imply that it's really your ISP/your computer/Venus is setting/Mars is rising/phase of the Moon/NSA monitoring/etc that is REALLY to blame.

Fix your $hit SoE...then we will talk UPGRADE NOW!!!

After all, the ability to damage your opponent consistently might...just might be important...you think? This is right up there with G2A missiles that TK the guy standing beside you...or randomly explode by striking the ground/buildings/boxes/crates/trees/butterflies/etc.

Fix your $hit SoE...then we will talk UPGRADE NOW!!!

If "connection related errors are occurring", then that client needs to be immediately disconnected from the server.