[PTS] Major change to knife mechanics.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by FCAvenger, Mar 29, 2014.

1. FCAvenger

You know need to equip your knife to be able to use it. For example, if you were playing heavy, you would have to hit 5 and then M1 to knife.
    So, before we get out our pitchforks I have a theory.
    They are going to be implementing new mele weapons, and one of those will need to be switched to, like a sword. The knife will stay the same. However, this is just my theory.
    IF this change would go through it will change an incredible amount of things. It is a major nerf to certain playstyles, classes, and it will cause balance "ripples" throughout the game. I do not believe that SOE has considered all the implications for this.
    • Up x 2
  2. OldMaster80

They're just changing a bad game mechanic people have been complaining about since beta. They're currently replacing this with the Planetside-1-style melee weapons, which actually required to be equipped and was imho 10798732423 times better.
    Needless to say this will give SOE the opportunity to implement new weapons for the shop.
    • Up x 27
  3. hawken is better

Thank God. While it seemed to be an unpopular opinion, I've always felt that the knife was a cheesy "I win" button, especially when someone's using a weapon that has high alpha damage (like a shotgun or a Commissioner).

True story, happened yesterday with an oh-so-skilled infiltrator:

- I can shoot you in your face 5 times and lolPS2hitdetection says no
    - You shoot me twice in the chest with a Manticore and then instaknife me for the kill

The less I-win buttons and insta-killing cheese, the better.
    • Up x 15
  4. DeadliestMoon

Eliminating the quick knifing will just serve to piss people off, along with putting silly weapons like maces and katanas in-game.
    • Up x 1
  5. Shubniggurath

Down with quick knife! Would be great if this change makes it through. sOmE pEoPlE mIgHt gEt UpSeT.....oh well
    • Up x 14
  6. Covah

I'll be glad if they get rid of that quick-knife cod *********.
    • Up x 17
  7. DeadliestMoon

You shouldve used your knife, or kept your distance. Dont try to change the game when you get outplayed.
    • Up x 2
  8. hawken is better

I didn't know that running straight at me to specifically go for the instacheese kill was "getting outplayed." Although there definitely is a distinction between getting outskilled and outcheesed, and I'm assuming 'outplayed' is somewhere in between the two.
    • Up x 3
  9. Maljas23

Good change imo.
    • Up x 10
  10. Kristan

May I have a sword and pistol combo for my LA? Pretty please?
    • Up x 2
  11. Nanomorph

My ninja reply is one line below this, I dare you to find it.

This change appears to be something that players have been requesting for a while.
    • Up x 6
  12. DeadliestMoon

Well if you know he will be going for the knife then why didnt you start moving erradicatly or kept shooting while backing off or try to knife him yourself? There are ways you could have fought back, you just dont because you dont like it and think it should be changed.
    • Up x 1
  13. FCAvenger

And this is why no one likes the forums. There were dozens of polite ways to tell me that I had done something wrong, you chose to be an ***. Thanks.
    • Up x 5
  14. hawken is better

Nopesters. We both converged on a corner at the top of the staircase inside of the building just outside of the spawn room at Scarred Mesa. He decloaked, I raised the CARV (I never popped the shield), and let off 5 or so rounds into his upper chest/head, while he side strafed and tagged me twice with a Manticore, then ran in quickly for the knife kill while I was still putting rounds into him.

You see, this is where the whole, "you should have done X," argument falls apart; my aim was consistent, I out shot him. Planetside's hit detection was not consistent, and it's a problem that I've noticed quite a bit over the last few weeks, as I almost always aim for the head and usually ADS in CQC situations.

Had the game actually done what it was supposed to do, then I would have facerolled him. I can jump, crouch, strafe, do 360s and the like, but there's nothing I can do about PS2's hitboxes/net code.
    • Up x 1
  15. MajiinBuu

Just rebound the keys to something easier for you :rolleyes:
  16. DJPenguin

IIRC, wasn't it stated that both options would be available?
    • Up x 1
  17. Roll Fizzlebeef

Seeing as how you know the forum's background color and chose a dark grey text, I called you out on it.

Seriously. What made you think that was good idea?
  18. kadney

Can it be even more worse than the autoknife they introduced in the Battlefield series with Bad Company 2? Approach, aim in general direction of the enemy, press the button and watch the full-automated animation..
  19. FCAvenger

Actually, I just copy pasted my post from Reddit.
    • Up x 1
  20. Maljas23

Zing...