[PTS] Major change to knife mechanics.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by FCAvenger, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Tenebrae Aeterna

Just not sure what they're thinking...

The only logical reason that I can think of, in terms of why they may remove the quick knife, is that they intend to give Infiltrators a dedicated one-hit-kill melee weapon and wish to make the feature exclusive by removing the knife/pistol combination. We know they spoke about increased range, so perhaps they are going to give everyone else a more combat oriented knife that's more machete length and has increased range...but I don't know if this is going to fly too well if I'm correct in this little theory.

I'm really confused by all this, but hopefully they talk a little more about it soon.
    • Up x 1
  2. Maljas23

This whole post might have been valid if infantry actually had collision like back in beta.
  3. Stigma

I really don't see how collision detection between infantry significantly impacts the quick-knifing mechanic (in either a positive or negative direction). You will have to elaborate your point.

-Stigma
  4. Maljas23

The fact that the current quick-knife animation means absolutely nothing, coupled with the fact that running through your target with the attempt to knife can lead you in a situation where you "knife" your opponent but because only the animation hit and not when you initially pressed the button, the guy will take zero damage.

Don't misunderstand. The lack of collision only adds to the main problem of having a quick-knife animation that means absolutely nothing. You can attempt to knife someone but since he ran right through you, the initial "hit" wiffed and now you are stuck in a meaningless animation that not only can you not cancel, but also are slowed down to a clunky pace.

Just wanted to make it clear that the lack of collision is just an addition to the main issue here.
  5. Stigma

I've never experienced this issue...

As far as I can tell, knifing is instant ie. as soon as you hit the button you do the hit, and the animation is actually delayed behind this very slightly because of it (even though it is fast). As far as I can tell at least, the animation is there purely for show.

In other words, as long as you hit the button when the enemy is at the center of your screen at the appropriate distance, this should result in a guaranteed hit. Maybe if you have been trying to time your knifing to the animation then you have actually been knifing too early and thus missing - other than that I can't relate to what you've said.

I find that the general lagcompensation/netcode issues that basically makes you see enemy movement on your screen slightly delayed to where they actually are (on their screen) to be more of an issue. In some few cases it can make it so that if you are backpedaling while he is running forward you are actually outside of knife range while your enemy can just reach you (making it seem unfair from your viewpoint as he hits you from a range that should be impossible). Not too much you can do about that though given imperfect netconnections and the general need for lagcompensation to make the game work in general, and good players will just incorporate this knowledge into their playstyle. As long as you know about it you can usually adjust accordingly.

In any case I don't really see how forcing the player to equip a knife before using it really does much to fix either of these issues - aside from just making it a much less viable option to use in battle overall.

-Stigma
    • Up x 2
  6. Sledgecrushr

They are not getting rid of quick knife. They are adding the OPTION of pulling out your knife or melee weapon of choice and using it like a regular weapon.
    • Up x 1
  7. bPostal

• Up x 3
  8. libbmaster

• Up x 1
  9. Giggily

The quick knife is ******* ******** and needs to either be nerfed into the ground or removed, so really this is a step in the right direction, and I'm proud of SOE for making a good infantry combat balance change in 2014.
    • Up x 1
  10. SharpeShooter

they will! [watch this space]
  11. SharpeShooter

I know planetside 1 had them! this however, is a completely different game! the only thing it shares with ps1 is the name.

As long as they don't remove quick knife then you can have your swords but it will be the beginning of the end when they introduce them!
    • Up x 1
  12. NovaAustralis

This change opens up LOTS of ideas for melee weapons!
    Stacks of good ideas here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/april-melee-weapon-changes.169399/

- Bayonet attachments for primary weapons, for starters. (e.g: 100 certs, takes up a slot)

Or even Class Specific Melee weapons and animations:
    * Each faction would have a different 'flavour' of these.
    TR - chain saw edged
    NC - mag blade (mono-molecular edged)
    VS - force blades (plasma edged)

- Infiltrator:
    Weapon: Stiletto / Shiv
    Animation front attack: several rapid straight-stabs
    Animation rear attack: overhand-hold back-stab

- Light Assault:
    Weapon: Tomahawk
    Animation front attack: diagonal swings
    Animation rear attack: up-high swing

- Heavy Assault:
    Weapon: gladius / short-sword
    Animation front attack: overhand-hold up-high slashes
    Animation rear attack: driving straight-thrust

- Engineer:
    Weapon: Wrench / Hammer
    Animation front attack: heavy-handed swing
    Animation rear attack: up-high head-strike

- Medic:
    Weapon: Saw / sickle
    Animation front attack: double throat-slash
    Animation rear attack: cross-slashes at throat height

If you look at other games (e.g: TF2) and the fact that there are three factions, you could see many, many melee weapons possibilities.
    This could be a new cash cow for SOE and no major game imbalances should be introduced, because we already have 'quick knifing'.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tuco

Yeah real game changing.

There are better things to import from PS1....You know what I'm talking about, yeah,.
  14. Josac

I'm glad they're taking out the quick knife but I believe there should still be a quick melee such as a pistol whip or using the butt of your rifle that does far less damage, for instance if you get someone on low health but you run out of ammo and don't have the time to switch to knife, use your gun.
  15. Wecomeinpeace

Well i'm in favor of rather quicker knives, so yeah a one-hit kill from behind sounds reasonable for such a type of weapon. It's just that i personally hate these quick-knifing mechanics because in a close quarter fight everybody knifes around like a gimboid.

Additonally it would be the closest thing we can get to holstering, so maybe that's the driving force behind my thoughts here. To sum it up: Hate quick-knifing mechanic and want holstering. ^_^

Edit: I would also take an equippable laser whip for VS.
  16. Tentakewls

...and it only took like a year and a half!
    • Up x 1
  17. Jaedrik

While I am absolutely sure that PS2's hit detection has some part in this, do not forget the compounding strength PS2's insane CoF mechanics have. I mean, to get anything remotely accurate, you have to stop and wait for it to settle.
  18. iller

Holding my judgment for when it's actually playable.... (on Live.... NOT getting duped again like with the FailJack :mad: )

But If it in anyway fixes the awful hit-detection I have with the knife due to always having 113ms ping... then I'm all for it.
    • Up x 1
  19. AgentSpades

Wait what.. how are maces and katanas silly? We are playing a video game here.
  20. DeadliestMoon

I guess this is the bane of MMOFPS, people will want things that others don't want.
    • Up x 1