[PSA] Go onto the Test Server VR to get a taste of what the Devs have planned for the class

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Ztiller, Apr 10, 2013.

1. OldMaster80

Many don't want it replaced or changed. The point is some alternatives to the Hunter would be nice, maybe different devices fitting difference play styles. Personally I doubt the two above mentioned devices could work as infiltration tools.
  2. Rhyl

I know. Fully support that and would love more options. I have seen some people ask for it to be changed which is who I directed my post at. Anything from "Remove cloak and give us a gillie suit. Remove cloak and allow us to look like one of the enemy. Remove cloak and give us a deployable decoy." etc
  3. Rohxer

A "deployable decoy"? OMG, that would be unbelievable awesome. I've never heard that suggestion. Get in a position (standing/crouched), then "deploy decoy" and you get a doppleganger in your spot that behaves like in the VR zone - takes damage but is motionless and does nothing. That would be so incredibly useful.
  4. m44v

Things I have noticed in the test server, LA's jetpack is much louder, the rechambering animation for the bolt driver is different, and engineers repairing turrets in towers have more cover protecting them from sniper fire.
  5. DeathSparx

*original sentence deleted* How much more cover?
  6. Element515

what about a straight bolt add on to the sniper rifles so we don't have to look away from the scope for the next shot?
  7. m44v

Like a lot of cover?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. giltwist

@m44v

That turret design will actually make it easier to hack though. Someone's got to look directly down the little tunnel to notice us, rather than the casual guy gunning us down as he runs by
    • Up x 4
  9. Ztiller

So a nerf/buff combo for the infiltrator. Won't affect me much thought, since i mostly snipe enemies from behind, and not the sides.
  10. Astraka

The increased cover will also probably give Engineers a false sense of protection, so hopefully they do not move around as much while doing it. For us Infiltrators who are usually found in the tower rather than outside this change can only be a benefit.
    • Up x 3
  11. hellaskan

I'd like a cloak that low rez abusing jerks can't see..ya know, total invisibility. It's a shame that i am going to skip putting certs/time/money into the Inf to get a new cloaking option that works the way the class should be working.....IN THE FIRST PLACE
  12. Ztiller

Low or mid/high. everyone have the potential to see the cloak as it is. It's not anything "abusive" about it.

"Should be working" according to you. You are not the only one entitled to an opinion. I feel that perfect invisibility would be cheap and cheesy in the current gameplay and i much prefer it the way it is now.

The Spectre cloak will have to be balanced to the Hunter cloak. That means extremely short duration and extremely long recharge. If you can't use the Hunter Cloak, i doubt you will do much better with the Spectre.
  13. Astraka

People (including myself) would excel far better with the Spectre Cloak because it is something that they can rely on. That is (theoretically) the difference between the Hunter & Spectre. No need to rely heavily on luck to make your way to your destination, you just need to know where you need to cloak & where you can safely decloak. You don't have to hope & pray that the person you ran past doesn't recognize you as an enemy & OHK you with their shotgun, or spray Gauss SAW rounds into your back. If you get caught & killed it is because you made a legitimate mistake, not because someone's eyesight is good enough to pick out a blur.

Having confidence in your class's ability is 100% necessary in my opinion. The Spectre if implemented will bring that.
    • Up x 4
  14. Ztiller

Well, seeing as how people are already complaining about how 12 seconds of Hunter Cloak is too short, and how many consider the Nanite Armor cloaking to be useless due to the increased recharge time and reduced duration, i have severe doubts that this "spectre" cloak with probably even shorter duration will be the savior you have all been waiting for.
  15. Aimeryan

The duration would be a major pain, agreed. I would have preferred other drawbacks, like no primary weapons, the static idea, etc. However, depending on how short the duration is it could still be effective if you only need it for that duration - say when running around a corner that you know an enemy is at and can pass him in a four or five seconds. You would still have to rely 99% of the time on staying out of line of sight completely, but that 1% where you absolutely have no choice this cloak would make a massive difference - as long as it is long enough to get you back out of line of sight. It really just depends on how long it is; 3 seconds or 9 seconds, really makes a lot of difference.

Arguably, the sound may be even more of a problem however, since with this cloak it is more likely you will be infiltrating close to the enemy. Hopefully, if it is implemented it does not inherit the hunter cloak's sound design.

A problem I do see for this, and for infiltrating in general, is the (very) limited number of darts in the re-con device - I would prefer a rechargeable, one at a time, sort of device myself. Once the darts are gone you are infiltrating blind. I guess a second buddy might help in this respect, and unlike the hunter cloak the second infiltrator wouldn't increase the chance of being seen.
  16. Astraka

Do people complain about the duration of the Hunter Cloak? I was under the impression that it was the relative visibility & lack of reliability that people were unhappy with. Maybe if you are attempting to maximize the cloaking effect by crouch-walking around you'll be disappointed in its duration, or if you're expecting its duration to be variable depending on movement speed you'd be disappointed - I don't really know. In my opinion the duration is fine if you're sprinting around de-cloaking when necessary to get it charged back up before needing it again, but then again I have it maxed out. This very well could be an issue for new players.

I think NAC is considered less useful than Hunter because it sacrifices a great deal of duration (cloak time + recharge) for a somewhat lackluster effect, especially when you first start certing it out. I've been told that it becomes far more useful after maxing it out, but I can't imagine most people want to invest the thousand-or-so certs required to max out NAC and not be 100% sure they'll even like it. I also think NAC seems to cater to a different playstyle compared to Hunter Cloak.

As for not being the 'savior' we've all been waiting for, I agree. Truly the 'savior' people are waiting for is something more along the lines of what DrEuthanasia has suggested a couple of times, but Spectre Cloak is a massive step in the right direction and is something I could see myself using a lot more effectively (or at least more confidently) than what we have now.

Its duration/recharge is probably something similar to a maxed out NAC given the similar descriptions. 7 or 8 seconds of cloak & I believe 14-16 seconds of recharge.
  17. Ztiller

The Nanite Armor gives, IIRC 6 seconds of cloak. And that is when you are still visible and the extra armor is to protect you when you are, just visible. Had you been invisible, you wouldn't need the extra protection, and agaisnt small arms only.

So my guess is that a cloak that granted complete invisibility would give at most 3 or 4 seconds.
  18. Aimeryan

If that is indeed the case then it would be very difficult to use in a manner that would help with not being detected, as you say. Will have to wait until, if ever, they decide to implement it (or allow us to test it) to see what duration it has.

The only arguable point here is that the NAC can be useful when being used to escape. The spectre cloak would also help with this, but if the enemy is able to retain tracking of you (due to cloak becoming visible when hit) then the NAC would be more beneficial. This may be enough of an argument to suggest the spectre cloak may have a 6 second duration like the NAC.
  19. Rhyl

NAC is also good when caught out in the open. Sometimes it gives me just enough time to survive. Even when it runs out you can click it on and off and if you catch a bullet the moment it cloaks you. The damage is still reduced. It's a good phasing tool. Also good in a gun fight if you need to reload during your opponent. Click it on and click it off just as you're about to finish reloading. It acts as a momentary shield as well. Same if you have to switch weapons. Compared to hunter it does really alter your playstyle and requires micromanagement to get the most use out of it.

(As a SC and RTS player this doesn't bother me and I welcome it.)
    • Up x 1
  20. Dr. Euthanasia

I'm not surprised that you of all people have trouble seeing the necessity of a 100% invisible cloak, but I can assure you that I could do more with 4 seconds of it than I would ever hope to accomplish with 12 seconds of the highly visible waste of certs that we have now.

And hey, if you end up being right and it's still underpowered? I already know what my first thread about it will be:

"Increase the fade in/out time of the Spectre Cloak and its total duration."
    • Up x 3