PS2 is unplayable.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UltraTech, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Osskscosco

What windows are you using now? Well that will work with next computer without buying it again.

And windows 7 is old enough so 99% of the gamers already own it.
  2. plat0nic

Not alone at all. I won't say I need 60fps to enjoy a game but I need something over 15 that's for damn sure and even then i'd be happy with PS2 could maintain a constant 15fps regardless of what was going on around me.. The sad truth is that is so far from the case that it's almost comical
  3. BlackDove

Yeah, I do actually. E5 Xeons and K20x's. Do you know that the GK110 chip that's the K20x is the same chip that's in the Titan? And four Titans aren't exactly cheap, and you CAN stick them in that workstation and play all the games you want! And yes, you can run all the games you want on a Xeon system. You won't ever get a BSOD either, since you'd be using ECC RAM.

If you want 3D surround, you're also looking at a lot of money, just for the monitors(if you want nice ones).

Go to www.maingear.com and customize their "gaming" desktops. They get up to $10,000 easily and they're not even that exotic.

When I build computers, which I've been doing for 10 years, I always include high quality PSU's and UPS's, and I focus on part quality and reliability, rather than "tricked out" BS.
  4. BlackDove

You laughed at buying Windows. Just because you can re-use the install disc doesn't mean you didn't BUY it in the first place, does it?

And if you want to keep your old PC or sell it, you'll still need to buy a new copy of Windows.
  5. Osskscosco

I can get them for free, but that's another story. Not to mention that for 600 dollars you can buy a good enough pre made PC with a windows.

And windows is not a hardware, just install it on the new computer too. :eek:
  6. BlackDove

Yeah, the "other story" is called THEFT.

$600 can buy you a decent Ultrabook or laptop on sale, but it won't buy you a decen't PC.

Windows is not a hardware? Where did I say it was hardware?

You can install Windows on a new PC, but what if you still want to use the old one? Apparently you don't know(or care) how software licenses work.

And most new PC's don't come with install discs anymore either, so their Windows isn't transferrable to the next PC, if you decide to buy a prebuilt.
  7. Osskscosco

Well, then i will shed a tear for you everytime i turn on my PC.
  8. Lavans

Yay! Overpriced PCs with a flashy case!
    Reminds me of Alienware in the old days.
    Their F131 Super Stock ($1700) can easily be hand built for less than $1000. Referencing bad manufacturers doesn't really help your argument.
  9. Navoletti

and few times of the character die and need respawn the game freeze.....the only solution for my is close the game with ctrl+alt+supr.....this error appear since update 4 and they never fix this...
  10. BlackDove

Maingear is one of the better consumer level prebuilt. I also referenced Supermicro, who makes about the plainest looking, highest end workstations that make Maingears seem cheap. I wouldn't buy a Maingear personally. I was simply stating that even gaming computers can easily exceed $10,000.
  11. BlackDove

That doesn't even make sense.
  12. Luxx

Stop *****in' on a hobby. Period.

Some people tweak their cars, we tweak pcs. 'Nuff already...

Can we go back to the "PS2 is unplayable" topic?
  13. Lavans

You're right, they can easily exceed 10k USD...if you buy computers for an inflated price rather than build one yourself.

However, there's no computer that you could possibly buy for $10k that a hand built $3k computer couldn't compete against. Most people generally won't exceed $2k for a gaming system...and there's really no need to.
  14. BlackDove

Luxury items aren't about need. $200,000 speakers aren't a necessity either, but they exist and people buy them. You don't need to buy a Lexus when a cheap car will be transportation too.

Some people want a fancy hand painted case. I have a Liani Li and my PC cost about $2000, personally, but I don't call someone who spends $10,000 stupid for building or buying one that costs that much UNLESS it's a ripoff. There are plenty of ways to get a computer up to $10,000 without anything "inflated" in the price.
  15. Lavans

Keeping in the realm of gaming PCs, I would like you to show me an example.
  16. BlackDove

Let's say you want to build a "gaming machine"(hate that term) with three or four Titans. You'll want a dual LGA2011 configuration t ensure that you're not CPU bottlenecked(a single i7 will bottleneck three Titans in some games). Depending on the CPU's used, that would be $1,200 to $6,000 for the two CPU's. Then you need some RAM. You can use 192GB of RAM with Windows 7, so let's assume we're using that. There's another couple thousand. How about some monitors? Anywhere between $1,000 and $5,000 for some decent gaming monitors in 3D surround.

I haven't even gotten to HDD's, SSD's the massive PSU you'd need for that, a UPS, a $700 motherboard for dual LGA2011, a case.

And if you're going to say "no one uses dual LGA2011 for "gaming" computers:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsyndicate.asp?id=676395&price=$6,990

As you can clearly see, PC's can get very expensive. That one can get way over $10,000 too. It does have unnecessary liquid cooling and lights in it, but you could build a dual LGA2011 system with four Titans that doesn't, and it'd be way over $10,000 for good quality parts.
  17. Lavans

1) Dual CPU configurations are used for workstations and servers. As such, dual socket motherboards are a poor choice since they rarely come with a chipset designed for gaming. Also, games are not coded to thread across two CPUs, and most games aren't even coded to thread across 4 cores.

2) The fastest gaming CPU, the i7-3960x, is roughly $1000, and barely faster than an i7-3770k in games. There are $2000+ server CPUs, but they are poor performers in games.

3) Games don't use more than 4gb. Anything higher than 8gb is for stroking epeen

4) A good 3d monitor won't cost more than $500

I see a lot of artificial inflation with your post that really makes no sense for a gaming computer. Most of what you listed is for workstations, not gaming systems.
  18. Noebuhdy

I'm running
    i5-3570K @4.5GHz - 1.25v (recorded 1.27-1.29)
    CM Hyper 212+ w/ two 120mm fans in Pull-Push
    ASUS Sabertooth Z77 LGA-1155
    GIGABYTE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (Low Profile)
    Corsair TX750 PSU
    CM HAF 922+
    12 cooling fans (mixed sizes)
    ($1084.40 was the total of parts)

2x 250GB Western Digital HDs (salvaged from an older PC)
    Creative X-fi Titanium
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Linksys WRT310N Wireless Gigabit router
    Cable internet

getting good frame rates and performance (90-110FPS in normal situations, 45-60FPS in really big battles)

only problem is, server desyncs... med kits won't work (highly annoying), some people's repair tools and medical guns don't work, some people moving sporadically everywhere (could be lag on their end). Sometimes I kill someone, half second later, I get killed by the same person I just killed.. an hour ago, i visibly confirm my rounds hit an enemy trooper, then a second later the hits register.

some other cases, white flickering, client freeze/lock ups, comms not working properly (push Z, num1, num4 doesn't work), my mic craps out causing static until voice chat is disabled then re-enabled...

Though, I still have confidence of SOE's hard work and effort to resolve the issues that've been occurring.
  19. BlackDove

LOL what do you mean "chipset designed for gaming"? That doesn't even exist. The X79 and C602 chipsets don't have features for gaming or not gaming. The workstation motherboards allow the QPI links to communicate between the CPU's. The CPU's themselves only really differ in that they have MORE CORES and support ECC memory.

I can sit on Windows with a few applications running like Steam, Oovoo, Ventrilo, Skype and be using over 4GB. 8GB is the minimum you really want to have, ESPECIALLY on a "gaming" computer, since you don't want to be using the HDD as virtual memory, since it's literally 1000x slower than RAM. RAM is cheap and even my Ultrabook has 16GB.

A good 3D monitor might not cost more than $500, but if you want four of them(three for surround and one for control), that's $2,000.

While the i7-3960x is a ripoff at $1,000 for 3MB more L3 cache, the six core i7-3930 isn't a bad deal at $600. You also missed the point of the LGA2011 desktop CPU's in general.

The LGA2011 chips have 40 PCI-E lanes each. The LGA1155 chips only have 16 PCI-E lanes and don't support multi CPU configurations. If you want four Titans, you'll want the maximum PCI-E bandwidth, so you'll want either one or two LGA2011's for the PCI-E lanes alone.
  20. Zerk

What a waist of money.
    • Up x 1