Please @Daybreak : How to counter enemy alts TK sundies?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inzababa, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Inzababa

This never really has been an issue for me, it's always happened, now and then, but it was always rare.

Now I see it happen more and more, most recently this guy :

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428713425545570801/killboard

Destroyed my sundy 2 times.

For those wondering what I'm on about :

1. NC player logs off and logs in to VS character.
    2. He spawns at VS sundy and TKs it, usually by planting tons of mines under it and then shooting them.
    3. He goes back to his NC character and keeps playing.

Those 3 steps are soooo easy, so noob friendly I'm actually quite surprised not more people are doing this.

Anyway, i'm a little pissed off because it's not the first time and it very often causes us to loose a base that we outherwise would have won easy.

There is absoluletly no counter to this, unless you think of TK the dude before he shoots his mine which really isn't very realistic.

As to the weapon lock, what do they care? Just have 2 or 3 alts and rotate.

So I'm asking, honestly, no troll, no joke, no ******** fanboy post or whatever, simple question :

What can we (cause imo we are in it together) do to counter this?
    • Up x 2
  2. MonnyMoony

I'm not sure what can be done - other than to put a timer on switching factions.

I had somebody do something similar yesterday. I was playing AA max and this one pilot kept trying to take me out. He tried for ages, buzzing me then flying off to repair. I downed him a couple of times - but he kept coming back. Then I killed him and he didn't come back.....though he must have got bored.

Next thing i'm getting shot in the back by a BR0 in the spawn room. Managed to take him out a couple of times before getting the final weapon lock warning - so I ran to the next base.

The BR0 logged off and a minute or so later, the enemy pilot turned up again and started trying to take me out once more.
    • Up x 2
  3. adamts01

I'm sure most people don't have their TK accounts linked to their main. There really isn't a way around this as long as we have friendly fire, which we should absolutely keep. This is the problem with ftp games
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

Here's two methods to stop it:

Explosives get an invisible, no-damage AOE that goes through walls like an EMP. This AOE simply checks if there's any enemies within a certain distance, say 25m. If not, then it's obviously a deliberate TK, and the damage against friendlies gets reduced.

Another way to handle it is a TK legacy system.
    If you often TK and do little else than TK, you'll get marked for doing that. This can come with nice little bonuses, like an empathy system where damage you deal is partially dealt to you, and friendlies receiving less and less damage.
    • Up x 1
  5. LoveDispenser

10 minutes no friendly damage timer after logon would be nice solution.
    • Up x 2
  6. Pacster3

Yep, but I'm sure you'd find some outfits that would logout and massively crash the next base after it when not having to worry about friendly fire. 10 minutes would likely be too long. 5 minutes maybe...but that might again be too short. It's not easy to find a solution.

That's not the only problem by the way. You got guys that scan for their outfit(hey, if you would be sitting in a 10 minutes queue for the continent elseway, that's an option)...and you got guys that deplete silos without of building anything(that at least should be stopped. I mean if someone buys the third construct without of placing anything, then something is likely fishy).

It does not happen THAT often. But when it happens it's extremely annoying.
  7. Stoet

Easiest way of fixing this ;
    Switch character timer.

Lets say said player is playing VS. Stuff isn't going as well as he wants so he wants to logs in his nice TR character. Im totalty fine with people switching sides.(no im not but still... their choice).
    Now if he wants to go log to a different Faction, From the moment of logging OFF a timer starts, preventing him a different faction for X amount of time.

Now why from the moment of logging off and not from logging in ? simple.... if said timer was set on 5 minutes, he would just go around tk-ing for 5 minutes, win the alert/battle and log back.
    If this is from the point off logging off, the battle could have changed, TK wouldn't matter anymore because in 5 minutes the guy could have crosses the map 10 times already.

Is waiting 5 minutes to much before u can switch sides? wouldn't say so.

Also, after logging off from the Vs character, and logging in a different TR character you could put a timer on when hes allowed back on the Vs again, for example, 30 minutes.(starting from the moment he logged off that char)
    Any other char that is not a char hes been on previously can be logged after the 5 minutes from logging off, but one hes already been at that time before, give it a little extra time so people can't switch around all day winning battles from different alts.
    • Up x 2
  8. Sazukata

This is brought up every single time the subject arises. It will not stop the perpetrators, as there's such a thing as multiple accounts. A timer would only punish legit players and/or members who need to collect their passive certs.
    • Up x 2
  9. Stoet

Make it so the Passive certs are just added to ALL chars the moment you login the first. (hes gonna login anyway so) it would save 2 minutes a day switching chars to gain all the passives, so there's no way this is going to be abused.

Imo the fact there's such a thing as multiple accounts, but that would mean 1 has to login to a different steam account, restart the game, etc.
    If you talk about a second computer.. well.. yea thats a "legit" way. no way of stopping that. Now one could say"IP block to 1 account" as if 1 IP is logged in, a 2nd Account with same IP couldn't but that would hurt people that are living together and wouldn't work aswell. If one wants to use a second account, with a second computer to TK, go ahead. if that makes you feel better....

I would say my way would atleast stop Half the people from switching to TK.
    But honestly... this game is waaaaaay to friendly with teamdammage.
    It should see the amount of teamdammage compared to the amount of enemies in the area.
    it should see the way of how it's inflicted aswell.

Did i place 3 AV mines and shot them and i get a teamkill on an enemy vehicle ?
    Did i just shoot an ally with no enemies close ? or did it happen with 20 enemies in a room 15 meters away and an ally running in, taking my bullets as an extra ?

World of Tanks already has this system, where teamdammage when aiming an enemy is far less penalized as just shooting a teammate point blank.(don't do it to often.. you still get a ban, because you are the one pulling the trigger).
    in this game i can shoot 10 allies and well ... walk away to the next zone with just 1 or 2 warnings.

Make a Bar, a System that counts teammage per x time. when you go over that limit(lets say 2x a chars hp within a minute) the first time you just get 30 seconds of weapon lock. (if this is an exident then well... u're fked for 30 seconds).
    If you go on, and u do another 2 bars of HP within another minute, it's going to be a minute lock.
    If u are free of teammdage for said... 2 minutes it will reset. you can make a system that will work for this, as long as the amount of dammage and time are somewhat fair.

and best of all! Disable team explosive dammage with AV mines/nades and C4 and launchers. it will stop from blowing up allied vehicles and there's no other reason that a AV mine or C4 would have to hit an allies vehicle.(maybe beside flash suicides with C4 on them).
    Should disable it when the explosive is set off by an teammate,
  10. Movoza

I think it isn't easy to fix either, but there are a lot of good suggestions. Like a test of enemies in the vicinity (explosives or AT that are used solely on friendlies/with littly to no presents of enemies are clear indicators). These can increase griefing scores tenfold, making such deliberate TK a near certain weapons lock.
    An x time limit on friendly fire seems like a bad idea for me for the reasons other people told, but the premise isn't bad. Higher griefing scores when logged in for the first 10 minutes, making you incur weapons lock much earlier would help. In addition, the timer only starts running when you do things for your team. Damaging enemies, resupplying, reviving and more (all outside spawn rooms) will allow the timer to start running for a minute. Continuous help will reduce the timer to 0 for normal griefing points.
    A legacy system is also very good as suggested. If you have two weapon locks in a few weeks or something, the lock becomes easier to get. You start with a permanent amount of griefing points that get higher if you continue the behavior. Only by legitimate play you can reduce these permanent points. So no waiting a month or two with the account logged off to remove those points. A combination of permanent grief points and increasingly higher empathy damage would also be a good fit, as you limit their killing potential over time as they damage themselves.

(Relatively) new/low level accounts that TK several friendlies without aiding your team (Damaging enemies, resupplying etc. Outside spawn rooms) or kill friendly vehicles with large bursts will get insta temp. banned and will incur perm. bans when transgressing again.
  11. Movoza

Switching teams is harder to cancel than you might think. In addition, you might frustrate more legitimate players than TK players. I used to share a PC with my brother to play and later we had our own on the same network. With our own characters we would want to switch seamlessly and not want to wait around. Although increasing difficulty for switching characters will help some, I fear it'll be insufficient. Only making the experience of TK as short lived as possible with grave punishments for people who do it from login/new accounts can. You can be certain for these accounts it's deliberate if large bursts of TK are done quickly after login. Temp and permanent bans can be given quickly as well, making them require to create new accounts. More hassle for them, decreasing the number of people who do it. In addition, you can catch all damage that would be sent in the package to the server and nullifying it, making their attack ineffective.
    • Up x 1
  12. Daigons

Don't forget about the so called "friendlies" that destroy your well place Sundy so they can ursurp your spot.
  13. entity009

What if mines and c4 were locked out for 5-10 mins after an empire swap?

It wouldn't fix every instance but it would make it alot harder. While smarter people are using alt accounts I doubt the majority of the scum who does this is.
    • Up x 2
  14. Halkesh

Add a system that allow people that get TKed to vote to add grief points or not. This way you can lower the grief points threshold by a lot.

Make TKer factionless : you can shot factionless people without getting grief point.
    When a factionless player is into a squad / platoon / vehicle, the squadleader or vehicle owner are notified "playername is a traitor to the faction, do you want to kick him from your squad / platoon / vehicle ?"

Kick player with more than 30% teamdamage in the last hour (it save the data over game session so a TKed that was kicked will be kicked immediately). Kicked player that relog are factionless during 10 min.
    Ban player 1 day and auto-sent a report when a player hit more than 15% teamdamage.
    Remember that the teamkill where people refused to give you grief point don't count.
    • Up x 2
  15. Liewec123

there is no solution, all we can hope is that people will stop being so lame
    (though i haven't seen this issue in a very very long time on Cobalt.)

you can't disable faction swapping because you'd ruin the game for those of us who play all factions when we log in.
    you can't disable friendly fire when you log in because someone would find a way to abuse it.
    you COULD suspend or even ban people for it, but this is a f2p game, they can make a new account within 2 mins.
    any restrictions you put on players who have swapped faction would suck for the thousands of legit players,
    not a solution for the 1 in a million lame TKer.
  16. Movoza

Well if they have to take 2 minutes every time, less people might do it. It is easier to logout, login on other account and start the TK than logout, take 2 minutes to create an account and then login.

With things like starting griefing points and the possibility to initiate a lock on detonating your own mines under a friendly sundy, prevemting damage, you can frustrate the TK further and limit/reduce their effectiveness.
  17. DemonicTreerat

Right now? Aside from getting their name, going to the support website, then harassing the heck out of support until they get off their *** - nope. And given that support seems to be more interested in threatening players who attack our resident trolls than in dealing with said trolls plus other assorted cretins I wouldn't expect results. Daybreak seems to have done the math and figured out that they can make more short-term profit by churning out low-quality "content" and catering to the lowest denominator than focusing on getting & retaining new players .

Now the ideal way? Stop this "free to play/ pay to win" crap and require a credit or debit card (not prepaid) to create an account with a fee such as $1.00 US. Then when an account gets banned you ban the associated card and everything else tied to that along with flagging the name etc to bring up red flags if it shows up again. At that point if someone does come back they have to get another card which - unless they're using their parents card (which can get banned in turn) - means doing so under false pretenses and a few years of no computer at all.
  18. Pyrode

Remove friendly fire to allied vehicles (both vehicle>vehicle and mine/c4>vehicle). Don't see the point of it friendly fire anyway tbh.
  19. Halkesh

Suspend and Ban coupled with allowing TKed player to vote to pardon their killer might be the better solution than the current "do nothing" solution. I don't think it will hinder fair players a lot.

I'm from cobalt too and wile I agree that real teamkiller are rare (something like 1-2 every month), they might be more common on other servers.

On cobalt, PMB sabotage are more common than teamkill or teamdamage.
    The solution to that might be to make PMB construction immune to friendly fire and add more restrictions so one player can't empty a 50k silo by himself.
    • Silo owner should receive a notification when one player empty 10k cortium in a short time duration.
    • Add a small cooldown before you can place an other construction (so you slow the sabotage and allow more time for the owner to empty their silo), the cooldown should be short enough to not hinder fair players.
  20. LoveDispenser

Sometimes I kill friendly sundies when there is obviously bad situation, when enemies' counter-attack in progress and there is no other choice for friendlies but to fallback and try again. I'm doing this only to stop randoms from being farmed 10 minutes in a row.