Planetside 2 Underground Bases...why we need them.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Harry Beavers, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Harry Beavers

[IMG]

I think underground bases would be an excellent way to add more flavor to this game. We would be getting more infantry battles and it could add a really nice twist to combat in general. Imagine having a vast underground base (picture the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil) with elevators and different security panels for infiltrators to hack. You could even let the faction who manages to capture a Science Lab release an ALIEN BIOTOXIN into the facility that slows kills your enemies over the course of 2mins. This would give a smaller force a tactical way to counter a zerg. Hell you could even add an underground tunnel that is connected to another hex providing yet ANOTHER way into a facility.

Just a thought.

/discuss
    • Up x 18
  2. Jeralamo

lol maybe you went a little over board on the resident evil alien biotoxin but i like the idea of the underground bases. i never played PS1 but maybe there could also be just really big caves? imagine Lith Corp Mining facility (that cool base near the VS warpgate on Amerish) but its actually a mine and has a cave like area to it.
    something i dont want is an instanced undarground base. you walk into the elevator and you get a loading screen to the underground base. (I hate loading screens)
    • Up x 3
  3. bPostal

Planetside had caves, they were full of ziplines. Not many people liked them.
    My guess is that outside of warping to another cont, you'll never see an instance in this game.
  4. Wibin

the expansion with the underground bases started the destruction of PS1.
    Especially since it was an expansion you had to "pay for" even though I had already bought and had to pay sub fee to play the game.

While underground bases would be cool, maybe just more variety of bases to come would make up for this.

The bio labs make for excellent infantry battles right now.
  5. Isila

More complex, infantry-focused bases could be a very good idea as an occasional type thrown into the mix -- Bio Labs already fill this role with the dome, but they still have the landing pads which tend to attract aircraft spam and the actual interior space is relatively small, with action focal points centered on those airpads.

That whole toxin idea needs to stay off the table, though. One of the things PS2 gets right is that it doesn't have an equivalent to PS1's interlink facilities that allow a small group of players to hold off disproportionately large forces due to extremely high defensive advantage. Interfarms dominated the high-end meta of PS1 to an absurd degree, to the point that they became more or less the sole focus of Fast-Response style outfits. Every new continent opening that wasn't an empire primary was a race to the nearest interlink to secure a guaranteed hours-long farm against all but the most overwhelming of odds (Multi-platoons vs. one or two squads). Having a facility-wide hard limit on attacker lifespan would work to similarly bad results.
    • Up x 2
  6. xtoph

Anything that gives infantry only fights a better chance is good in my book. I do enjoy some of the big infantry/vehicle battles but sometimes it get annoying...
    • Up x 9
  7. Exmortius

the cavern fights were pretty cool in ps1 but a lot of people did avoid them. i actually like the idea of giant underground bunkers with incentives to go there and control them. the more varied playstyles for each continent the better to keep the game fresh imo. they could do a maybe a giant space station and an underground location for future add ons. there is also a naval possibility down the road they have talked about possibly looking into doing too.
    • Up x 1
  8. MrBloodworth

OP is not talking about the caves people. He is talking about like the bases in PS1, bases need interiors other than one large room.

Like PS1.
  9. Zar

i would think this would be ok if it was one per a continent but alas i fear the zombies we would release from such a place would be horrid.
    both undead zombies and the zombie inf who lack the skill to fight vehicles lol my group and i do rather well vs tanks and aircraft no idea what your problem is lol,id guess lone wolfing.
  10. Endust

I miss the PS1 base's
    • Up x 1
  11. korpisoturi

EXELLENT IDEA, what sony should start making instantly , mayby not that big but something similar, ONLY infantry access areas what would have important place in the game gen holds/last stands and so on.
  12. Harry Beavers

[IMG]

Couldn't edit my post but here ya go!
  13. AngryPlayer

So tight corridors? Sounds like an ideal place for grenade spam.
    • Up x 1
  14. bPostal

There's no thumper so it shouldn't be that bad, and with proper design grenade spam can be reduced in effect but never really negated.
    Besides, better grenade spam than HE/Zephyr spam
    • Up x 3
  15. Isila

Right now, with the hand-tossed nuclear bombs we're supplied with, everywhere is an ideal place for grenade spam.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jeralamo

if tech lab means tech plant then id suggestion changing it to amp station. amp stations are boring they need more...depth:cool:
  17. TheGroggyOne

JUST SAY NO TO CAVERANS AND HELL NO TO RANDOM ZIP LINES!!!

Had to get it out. I wouldn't mind an underground complex. Right now I'd be happy with an office building with a cap and spawn point in the middle. Just something to fight through, something that makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

Right now, you either run with a zerg or get zerged over. Neither is impressive. I never did hear what the 'vision' of ps2 was, but if this is it...
    • Up x 1
  18. Xil

Soooo..... Umbrella is taking over Auraxis O_O?
  19. Avs0000

Stop looking at the picture guys. What he wants is a base that requires infantry to CRASH into each other in glorious manly battle. I think everyone wants this. No tanks with HE shells spamming you from beyond rocket launcher effectiveness. No aircraft bombarding you. Just straight up infantry, grenades, and a whole lot of grenades.
    • Up x 4
  20. Nytguard

The caves from the Core expansion in PS1 totally turned me off and I'm not a fan of this idea either. Infantry already have the Biolab along with many other infantry-only facilities and outpost areas that this idea isn't necessary at all.

I'd rather see the focus remain on outfit bases along with more continents so that continent locks can be enforced. If you want cave-like combat, go to Amerish... essentially the same thing without the visual roof.