Planetside 2 Cover vs Planetside 1 Cover...One of the reasons it sucks to be Infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rustler, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Rustler

[IMG]

[IMG]

Vs
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Is sad that a 10 year old game has way more cover, thus make the Battles 10x more complex since their is more tactics involved since Infantry actually have cover.

As of Now Infantry are worthless outside of battles not involving towers/facilities which are designed to cluster all infantry into stalemates.

[IMG]

This is what I wish the Cover would be like in Open areas....With trees,rocks,buildings.etc....but at least have decent cover.

Instead is just Vehicles ruling the Open land while Infantry are stalemating inside some building.
    • Up x 8
  2. Eugenitor

Play on Amerish?

(I'm just kidding. No one actually plays on Amerish. That would be something other than cert farming.)
    • Up x 7
  3. Rustler

All though Amerish has more trees than Indar...Is no way near sufficient cover.
    • Up x 3
  4. OuchUshotMe

Is that AMA3 or BF3 ? and I concur !
  5. Otleaz

Having terrain like you see in PS1 also allows for more diverse playstyles, such as the 'never going to happen' buggies that everyone has been wanting. Imagine trying to fight a tank in the first screenshot there, and then have a good laugh about trying to maneuver a buggy around in the second screenshot, and then think of how interesting a buggy vs tank fight would be in the PS1 screenshots.
  6. Gumbo

Maybe the trees have been dug up to make paper or matches?

Or if PS2 is before PS1 the trees havent grown yet and we need to use more toilet roll so more trees can be planted.
  7. Rustler

Is Arma 3.....

This is what Planetside 1 should of evolve too...maybe not that much trees everywhere but some decent cover in open areas.

[IMG]
    Exactly with that much cover, small squads would have a way better chance against tanks.

The game would actually feel balanced.....
  8. CrashB111

Since they just nerfed my Tank cannons, if you undo that I will let you have cover. Otherwise no.
  9. Rustler

Infantry battles right now are a joke....Sorry Cover is needed.
  10. CrashB111

Infantry battles are not a joke if you fight them where they are meant to be fought.

Infantry dominate inside bases, biolabs, and other such areas.

If you are running across an open area don't expect for my Tank to not destroy you.
    • Up x 3
  11. Lucidius134

ArmA 2.

That gun isn't even IN ArmA 3 yet, and ArmA 3 doesn't look like poo.
  12. Littleman

Cover is only useful if it works.
  13. Rustler

See thats the problem....Infantry battles take place in facilities/tower not designed for 100 vs 100 of players so we just get stalemates all the time.

See my other thread if u havn't.

I don't have problems with tanks destroying infantry but the lack of cover just makes the whole open areas be ruled by vehicles/aircraft...More cover will mean Infantry can actually enjoy the WHOLE FREAKING MAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....and battles will feel better with Infantry actually playing a bigger role outside of facilities.

Like I said tanks should destroy infantry if they see them but with cover, Tanks will require more tactics to deal with infantry...no more easy mode.
  14. CrashB111

Adding random cover into the area between bases will do nothing you realize? The sheer size of the open portions of the map would defeat the purpose of cover since it would take forever and a day to run across such expanses without a vehicle.
    • Up x 2
  15. Rustler

Well Cover needs to be right outside of the facilities/towers first of all.

Having cover all around the map however will benefit Sundies with spawn capabilities so you dont really have to run all over the map using cover like u say.
  16. Highway_Star

17. StrikerKOJ

I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I agree with you. Not sure how maps with randomly populated trees felt like they provided more dynamic (and interesting, imo) battles than these hand-crafted works.

Lore excuse, by chance this planet just happens to not have a lot of trees in that configuration. The universe is full of endless possibilities (that sentence bends my brain).
    • Up x 3
  18. RobotDoc

i dont mind rocks, but trees break rocket lock on when tracking aircraft :(
    • Up x 2
  19. QuakerOatsMan

That's why an idea I have been pushing was to allow engineers to create/deploy walls, similar in look (and perhaps durability, or more) to the stock MANA turret but with much more coverage, and limited/powered perhaps by a nearby "energy" sunderer, disruptable by EMP grenades. This would create an actual front line, as well as allow players to create their own defense/advancing offense rather than relying on bases and natural cover (and further define the engineer's role).
  20. Wodan

Planetside 1 had TONS of flat open continents.
    Ishundar, large parts of Solsar, most of Amerish, Esamir, huge areas on Searhus...
    The heavy terrain conts are not in PS2 yet, Forseral, Ceryshen, Cyssor, Hossin, etc...

That said, I do hope that as we go forward they will add more trees/water elements, especially now that they CAN add water elements. Especially hope they go back to some of the older continents and add some of those features.
    • Up x 1