Planetside 2 Base/Map Designing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpyShadow28, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Tuco

I guess all those chiefs, generals, kings, and caesars that lived the last 10,000 years were just stupid standing next to your genius.
    • Up x 9
  2. Tycoh

"Hunkering down in a base is a recipe for disaster" -> This game concentrates on hunkering down and defending bases
    Fighting out in the open = Infiltrators/ Galaxy drop be back capping our base connections. Fall back and begin ^^^^^

I don't think you've even read the OP. I'd thumbs down that comment twice if possible.
  3. SpyShadow28

Tell ya guys what, these models are insanely high polygon counts. For example, the base towers are in 8 pieces and all together they are 200,000 polygons.
    • Up x 3
  4. Tycoh

And people wonder why they're lagging in this game...
    • Up x 2
  5. libbmaster

...Uh, yeah.

Sure, some walled themselves in and won, but that was for other reasons: The opposing army didn't have the logistics to keep the siege up, reinforcements arrived, the defender counterattacked, etc. etc.

Every scenario where the battle closely resembled PS2 ( i.e., attackers had no meaningful logistical concerns + more people), the defenders got starved out.

Perhaps the resource revamp will give you the ability to win by camping in a bio-lab Tuco... with your spitfires and mines and your cloaked AMS. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  6. PrimePriest

Wouldn't it be easier to just export game models and put you own design together in one of already existing free editors? Like Unity, CryEngine editor etc. etc. Not really Planetside ready, but will translate ideas nicely.

Sounds simpler than writing your own map editor.
  7. libbmaster

I will forsake my one and only god, Lord Vanu, for you if you give me this power.
    • Up x 1
  8. Tuco

No, that's not the reason. Nobody knows what the opposing army will consist of until the opposing army comes marching towards you.

Defensive fortifications/fieldworks are used because:

1) they allow smaller numbers of soldiers to hold X area, freeing up more soldiers to go to Y area.

and/or

2) Cost benefit analysis: soldiers cost more money than defensive fortifications/fieldworks

Its one of those strategies that will never be available in a FPS because creative directors can't think laterally.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tuco

AMP/TECH/BIOLABs are 10 times worse.
  10. Bortasz

We will kill all opposition. Give us that program ;)
    • Up x 1
  11. SpyShadow28

I am converting props into other game engines. Very time consuming task. First game engine will be source engine because I can use it to make physics meshes for the models. Then later the 2nd game engine will be unreal engine and it be using the physics meshes from source for the models.

So a lot of work. I had to hunt down a modified version of studiomdl to handle higher polygon models. It helped a bit but the buildings that are very high in polygon count will be in pieces and you will have to put the pieces together in the map editor but its not hard to do.
    • Up x 5
  12. libbmaster

three unrelated points there tuco.

You don't know the composition of an enemy army till it shows up: true.

Sand bags are a force multiplier and cheap: true.

I disagree with the third one.

None of these are my point: defense as your sole strategy is only possible when you can break an enemy force by outlasting them, whatever the reason.

In PS2 attackers are, technically, infinite. While defenders also get infinite re spawns, and base walls and turrets can make it possible for a smaller force to hold against bigger numbers, the will be no reason for the attackers to leave. (They don't run out of food or people, and the medics are making certs...)

Unless you can kill their AMS (which involves a counter attack, or a flanking maneuver by another force) it's just a matter of time before they break through whatever walls you have.

In that regard, they are like zombies. Time is on their side.
  13. Tuco

The Maginot Line as the French sole strategy is only possible when they can break an enemy force by outlasting them?

This could be only true if generals had alternative universe generators and can play out all scenarios before the actual battle.

hehe no online game wall is capable of being force multipliers. They can only be chokepoints which EQUALLY EFFECT ATTACKERS AND DEFENDERS. And with light assualt all walls are no longer chokepiotns.

A real Chokepoint would be like 1 long hallway from PS1 that leads to "A". Good job convincing a PS2 dev to only have 1 long hallway leading to "A". Even PS1 had like 3 routes going to the flag.

Since most battles are now 40 vs 4, even those chokepoints won't help you.
  14. SpyShadow28

• Up x 3
  15. AzureKnight

I suggested this a long time ago on this site. Have community made bases that would be sent to test on SOE servers. To do that, though, you'd first need to submit pictures of the base. Those would be voted on. Top 10 would be placed in test maps on SOE servers. Out of that ten, the top 1-2 would be selected. That map would then be sent to SOE for final approval and extra detail work and implementation to the game.

And it would be an event thing, happening maybe once every month to 2-3 times every six months.

Back then I was told that Battle Islands would be what this was for...

Still, i'm all for community driven maps. Video game companies should really tap in to their customers' creativity for free work that would be appreciated by the community themselves. Would reduce their own costs at design and would let players feel they are actually more apart of a game, not to mention increase customer loyalty, if they had a hand in actually creating rather than just "Oh I'd like this or that".
    • Up x 2
  16. SpyShadow28

For those of you who would want to begin making bases with planetside 2 assets. Go to the link below to download the SDK package I am working on daily. Bookmark the link below because I will update the package daily with more assets.

Planetside 2 SDK for Hammer Editor

Remember, you will need the Steam Client and Need to Download the Source SDK Base 2013 Singeplayer from the Tools Section.

@AzureKnight
    I totally agree. SOE should look into UGC (User Generated Content). I be happy to run a singleplayer version of planetside 2 with its SDK to test ideas out.
    • Up x 1
  17. Chubzdoomer

Agreed. It sounds far more logical to just do it that way.
    • Up x 1
  18. SpyShadow28

I was planning to do that anyways. I got the player scale from planetside 2 to match source engine.
    • Up x 2
  19. Luighseach

I think they stated that they would eventually allow the community to be able to make anything for the game. I honestly would love a program like Landmark for PS2.
  20. Larington

I haven't used a level editing tool in far too long (Last thing I used was Torque 3D), this could be iiiiiinteresting.