Planetside 2 Base/Map Designing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpyShadow28, Mar 16, 2014.

1. SpyShadow28

If I made a program for the community to make bases or maps, would you guys want it?

Please remember that this is just for fun but who knows, SOE could take notice and want our ideas.

I want to know people's thoughts on this. If interested, please let me know.

Join this steam group to be notified when the application is ready and discussion your ideas.
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ps2_mappers
    • Up x 38
  2. NikkoJT

Definitely. I have so many ideas that I can't wait to annoy everyone with.

Also, I want to be a game designer so I guess this would be good practice.
    • Up x 3
  3. SpyShadow28

I would love to see those ideas. The program would allow you to walk around on the map and experiment.
  4. Pikachu

You write a program your self? :eek: You extract all the props and make some editor where you can place them? Sounds too ambitious. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  5. SpyShadow28

This is why I am asking on what people thoughts are on the idea. If a lot of people tell me yes, I can begin work on the application, well more like on the content. I have the application that will let you place and test out your ideas and you can even add your own stuff in if you like.

I got some base designs myself in mind.
    • Up x 3
  6. SenEvason

Sure, I have a couple ideas that I want to test out.
  7. SpyShadow28

• Up x 2
  8. GeneralPeragorn

Definitely, I'd like an invite to the group.

What language are your writing in?
    • Up x 1
  9. Larington

"Membership by invite only"
    I'd be open to this I think. I've had one or two ideas sitting in my head for a while now.
    (EG http://i.imgur.com/l2sCkJk.png )
    • Up x 2
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

Yes. YES. YES!
    • Up x 4
  11. JudgeNu

Is it even legal to use SOE's stuff in an editor you "made"?
    Personally id rather use whatever SOE uses for their editing, an official permission, and interest in what we would create.
    Otherwise I see no point other than the fun of editing.
  12. Tuco

The only way base design would stop overpopped zergs is if the only corridor between the "A" and the surface was 2 miles long so it took infantry 10 minutes to get to "A". Except then the zergfits would pre-place infantry on "A" before the previous base was capped.

nevermind
  13. Wecomeinpeace

I appreciate your work and absolutely support this.

But tbh if i really wanted to show some proper base designs i would fire up the UnrealEd and just use placeholders/lookalikes, no need for a exclusive "PS2" map editor. Then again i really cba to give these SOE guys mapping tutorials (don't place props so that your players get stuck - there, that one i could be arsed to, check crimson bluff tower), so i guess this is a very good idea to get as many people as possible to try themselves at some non-stupid base designs.
    Would be interesting to see what the players can come up with.
  14. SpyShadow28

Unreal Engine probably be better sense you can place and scale objects. I probably won't be able to make my own editor but I can use other editors instead. Below are some that we can use.

UnrealEd - Unreal Engine
    Hammer Editor - Source Engine
    Google Sketchup
    3D Max

So a few applications we can use to make bases. The pictures from the folder link above is from source engine because I am very skilled with that map editor.
  15. SpyShadow28

I did not know the group was set to invite only, I fix it, its open for everyone.
  16. SpyShadow28

I am working to add planetside 2 stuff into source engine for hammer editor and UnrealEngine 3. The only problems with this is that some props won't have a proper collision mesh. I can use source engine to make some collision meshs for use in unreal engine 3.

Should I add Soldiers & Vehicle stuff to the packages? Mostly just dummy's for scale help. I am trying to keep file size low for mapping.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tycoh

Please do continue. I always fantasized of building my own base to show off to other players.
  18. Larington

Having access to the dummies and the ruler/measuring objects that the designers have access to in the streams would definitely be useful:

Ugh I'm trying to link official twitch streams from the work in progress thing but when I load the post after it's auto converted into a media object which then doesn't load.

Vid 1
    Vid 2
  19. SpyShadow28

The link embedding on this forum is a bit buggy I think with media. Below is a link to a folder containing stuff I converted into source engine.

Converted Planetside 2 Stuff

I have not added any new images lately, but I have converted already 83 models. Its a very time consuming task, so in a week or more expect this number be higher. Below are links to my SDK Blog and my steam workshop page.

spyshadowsdk.************

Steam Workshop Stuff

I am glad that people want to make there own bases.
    • Up x 2
  20. TheFamilyGhost

All of you blame base design for your ignorance of base defense.

Since the dawn of warfare, it has been well know: HUNKERING DOWN IN A BASE IS A RECIPE FOR DISASTER.

NEVER defend at your opponent's objective. You must extend, and beat them in open battle.

Its kinda sad...you guys are never responsible for anything. It's always the fault of the person who is supposed to dish out your entitlements on a silver spoon.
    • Up x 1