Perspective time, K/D ratio: What is Good, Bad, Normal??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Knarfis, Mar 5, 2013.

1. TheBaronofSD

one thing i wish i could do on the stats site is filter out vehicle deaths. i really want to see what my inf vs inf is.
  2. RaTzo

IT DEPENDS. What role are you playing in game? Some roles in the game have KDR as their only reasonable stat, while other roles KDR really is meaningless.

I primarily fly ESF, and I use the nano regenerating armour. This means that the only XP I get is when I'm able to be around when a base flips, and when I kill something. Since most pilots jump out of their aircraft before they get killed now and because you can work to cap a base for an hour and if you mistakenly slip just outside of the invisible circle at the wrong second you get NO XP for the cap... well XP per hour is not a very good metric, but KDR is.

Since ESFs spend most of the time running away from anything that happens to notice them... if you manage to have a high KDR (without getting it from the infantry farm that is) then it's a very good indication that you're effective on the battlefield. Except when required for Outfit Ops I engage vehicles almost exclusively so I know how to interprete my KDR. It may be meaningless to anyone else because they don't know how I fight...

Other people like Engineers supplying ammo and doing repairs, or medics healing, may not get very many kills at all but they will get lots of XP and the amount of XP they get shows how effective they are being. So to them KDR is meaningless.

In the end, the stat that most accurately shows how effective you are in your role is the state you should pay attention to.

Since I've switched to ESFs my KDR is steadily improving. I expect it to settle out in the 2 - 2.5 range. I'm happy with where it is right now actually, based on how I fly and the missions I accomplish.

I couldn't tell you what a good KDR for an infantry would be... I get murdered when I play infantry because my frame rate is way too low.
  3. Jomar

If I cared about my K/D. I would have quit years ago...
  4. Kon

KDR is meaningless for ESF/s TBH there needs to be a stat on how many vehicles you destroy and how many per hour . not how many infantry you can kill with rockets from a relatively safe distance

the point is basically this they need to move entirely away from KD, remove deaths, and KDR, put in meaningfull stuff like. How many Vehicles you have killed and how many per hour , how many players you have deployed ( Sundy spawn / gal drop/spawn beacon), how many Generators / SCU's you have destroyed etc these are what should be tracked not KDR
  5. GSZenith

K/D..close it mod please :(. sure keeping none mineguarded sundy alive for 1 hour is fun but not very healthy for score :(
  6. Aedelric

I would not go so far as to say K/D is a meaningless statistic, basically because some people do care about it, so to them it does have meaning and use.

You have to keep in mind that what tactics someone uses to obtain their "good" K/D is important. It takes little skill to rocket and shell spam infantry, thus obtaining a high K/D. Such tactics can and does skew the statistics to a degree that positive K/D is not a good indicator of a decent player.

Personally I do not care what ratio someone has, so long as you are fun to play with, that is all that is important. :)
  7. SgtScum

80 rounds x 10xp per reload x 20 tanks getting constant ammo = 16000 xp.

Per fight. Sometimes less sometimes much much more.

Yes, support xp whilst small does add up very quickly when everyone around you is trigger happy. :D
  8. SinerAthin

In Planetside 2, KDR is not that important.

In a Deathmatch in Call of Duty, KDR is an important stat, but in PS2, it is often counter-productive, as hoarding a good KDR is not always going to be a good thing.

The best soldier in Planetside 2 is the one playing as Stalin's footsoldier.

To win in PS2, follow this simple formula:
    Excess of gun & bullets + Rebirth nanite system + Close terminal = Victory

It is why we say that Sunderers are actually the biggest threat on the battlefield ;P
  9. siiix

there is no "pro" in this game, you trying to explain me how a competitive shooter works, i played years counterstrike... like i said thats ONE skill , but no matter how good you are in that one skill if your not willing to sacrifice your self when its needed your pretty much only good in limited numbers in a team, if the whole team is only super high KDR players you will lose, simply because when the fight gets to heated you have to chicken out to save your KDR... you cant be good as support, you cant play as anti vehicle, you cant defend a base if a zerg is approaching, and your slow and tactical when in this game what matter is witch team has more guts to run the other team back to they spawn point or surrender, witch team has more guts to engage the enemy vehicles till they run out, a very high KDR person can only keep hes high KDR because others have more guts running in the front line... BUT a high KDR person is good for clean ups, to get those few enemies eliminated who sneaked trough the front line... or you can vehicle camp ... both very useful if only a few are like that in your team
    • Up x 1
  10. Hismomo

I'm a noob at this game, I know that. I just play the game for fun, playing with friends. Don't take this KD thing so seriously. Loose up and enjoy the game. Try not to be such a tryhard and have some fun.
  11. Weirdkitten

Tasty said it best. Personally, I use it to monitor my performance and progress but don't take it too seriously. It doesn't include vehicle kills, and it doesn't take into account what role you are playing. I tend to get lower KDRs in squads as opposed to herpderp killfarm solo stuff, and leading squads drops it even further. Playing medic or engineer drops it considerably, and if I go play sniper it can easily get up to 5-10 kdr range in the right environment.
  12. ent|ty

Who cares, just play the game.
  13. KRE8R125

Far too many variables to determine what is good as far as K/D. For instance my LA character is somewhere in the range of .4 or so, but that means nothing considering my main objective as LA is to cap points and kill vehicles. My HA character is coming closer to the 1 to 1.5 mark. In my HA I am a frontline player who dives directly into the most brutal portions of a battle. I use the shields and ammo to try and have an advantage. If I can kill 2 men to my 1 death I consider that a decent contribution to the battle. You should set some goals for yourself for each class, determine what you wish to accomplish with that class and then always try to improve on your goals once you hit them.
  14. sophont

I've never found a use for it. Then, I realized other people use it as an indicator to belittle someone.
  15. SgtScum

This is a huge problem on the wot forums. Some 'jenius' came up with an efficiency formula to try to gauge a tankers general skill level and it has been morphed into a stat whoor epeen mechanic that only rewards top tier play and has spawned the baddie vs goodie camps that belittle pretty much anyone who doesn't have a top teir tank and farms noobs with platoons.

The level of testosterone on the wot forums is so high that even females develop testicles when reading them.

Hopefully that doesn't happen here.
  16. Herby20

It's largely useless. What's more important, having an average of 5 kills per death or being the guy who hopped up on the roof and c4'ed the enemy sunderer? One person was killing the people as they came, and the other cut off the source entirely. Most of all, you want to be having fun, not worrying about if you are doing well or not. I personally have had far more fun on nights where I had a sub 1.0 K/D ratio than on nights where I averaged over 3.0.
  17. Phaze

On the other hand... the guys playing medic that are constantly rezzing people -- who are immediately killed -- and then getting themselves mowed down as they stand in the middle of the firefight trying to get their precious rez points.

^Those guys are utterly useless.
  18. TheBloodEagle

Well I'll just go with the OPs title instead of going on some pretentious mumble.

I tend to play aggressively; pushing, running at vehicles to kill 'em, cap points, I'll run and just spray to "suppress" folks and help take the heat off others, I often throw nades or go Rambo. Hell, I'll go around the Region just to kill 1 person or vehicle. Some days I'm in the zone, totally findmy groove, other days I'm just dying outright with clumsy mistakes. I think if I didn't try to rush so much, often spawn on overun spawns or run towards explosions, I'd be better off K : D wise. Right now my K : D is 1.18, 89% Heavy Assault. I'd say I'm a pretty average player though. Previously on Jaeger.

Don't quite have the reaction & aiming skills I had in Tribes 2 anymore; got used to a slower pace with OFP/ARMA.
  19. Rown

It's a sandbox game, you make your own objectives. If you think K/D is important, the answer to the OP's question is "as high as I can make it". If you like ops, then no stat will be accurate; just ask yourself if you've been useful, how much, and how could you do better the next time.
  20. YamiNoTenshi