Perspective time, K/D ratio: What is Good, Bad, Normal??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Knarfis, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Zitroxious

hmmm an ati 9800? i dont know dude but that was already very old old when you bought it 2 years back (it came out in 2002) are you sure it even plays the game? it has 128mb of ram and is agp8x.. most cards have 2 gigz nowadays and pcie3.0.. are you sure it runs 30 average? or does that mean 10 in a firefight? cause then it would be really hard to hit anything
  2. Rhinzual

It's about 30 xp per reload, so an ams/ammo sundy can really make back those cert points quickly if it's a huge battle.
  3. HadesR

A lot of players don't care about it
    A lot of players worship it
    A lot of player's use it as a judge of if they are improving
    A lot of players don't care if they log off with 0.1
    A lot of players rage quit if it drops below 3

In PS2 K/D is a meaningless stat in judging if a player is skilled / worthwhile

If you want to worry about it, then It should only be used as a personal bench mark and in that respect " What's a good K/D " is purely down to a person's own view of how they judge themselves.
    • Up x 1
  4. allattar

Well with kills and deaths its not quite even the amount of kills awarded on a server to deaths. Suicides, accidental or on purpose. Falling through the floor, tk's will not go to anyone as a kill.

On average then k/d across the whole server is less than 1. If your averaging one you will be performing better than the majority of players.

Anything above 3 probably means you should put the esf down. Stop whoring the tank or get out the lib once in a while.
    Truly huge k/d ratios come from using the right vehicle in the right situation.

Eg an esf with rocket pods when all the enemy has are tanks and infantry.

Also any battle which sees you massively outnumbered is going to drop your k/d a lot.

Comments based on my own observations.
  5. Takoita

I can around the Crown for an hour repairing things (or shooting with SKEP or rezzing people) with something like 9 kills and 3 deaths and I would have 3.0 K/D. Would that mean I'm a boss infantry player?

The goal is to have fun. And help your team while you are at it. Everything else is secondary.
  6. applecherry

You are very ignorant. Not everybody with more than 3kdr uses esf or tanks or camp at the crown most of the time. I for once play infantry much much more than using vehicle or esf and I never go to the crown as it lags me and yet I have a kdr of more than 6.0. I probably have less than 20 overall kills with the esf...

[IMG]
  7. Zitroxious

your most played class is infiltrator, and your exp is on the low side, meaning you camp in quiet places a lot, killing noobs
    • Up x 2
  8. applecherry

Are you trying to imply that good players never get killed by ANY infiltrator ever? I have killed plenty of high br players. You are just envious of my kdr. No matter how well you try to play, you cannot reach my kdr as an infantry. you can continue to to give yourself excuses to justify my kdr. And also, I uses the semi atuo all the time and that means I cannot camp and need to engage at short to mid-range. Recently, I have been using the light assault alot(you can check my killboard), and I have no problem increasing my kdr or maintaining it.

If you think its easy being an infiltrator, why not you try it and show me how easy it is to attain a high kdr. I bet it is not as easy as you think it is. Infiltrator are one of the hardest class to play and it require alot of thinking and manipulation and not mindless run and gun.

[IMG]
  9. Zluu

I'm in the same boat as you OP, around 0.3 K/D and I think it is definitely a problem to be that low in planetside, as an infantry...

The majority of players you encounter will be around 1.0 and above (that's what I gather from looking at my killboard), so you will basically lose to nearly every player from the opposite faction you face (that's what happens to me). That means if you are trying to do objectives like capping points or destroying a generator, the chances you will succeed are very low as there's almost always somebody in the way that you have to take out.

The result is that you are practically useless as an offensive unit in a team and should stick to support. Unfortunately for me I'm not a big fan of engineers or medic in that game, so I'll be continuing pressing only the "w" key for 90% of my playtime :)
  10. Tilen

Nevermind your K/D. Focus on being a team player and fulfilling your role on the battlefield.
  11. variablez

I think kdr does show how effective you are being.
    though it is easier for air, tanks and snipers
    less so for medics.

pick one class and put all your certs into it. this gives you more lethality and survabilty, which will help.
    i recomend Heavy assualt as they can do everything fairly well
    join an outfit as well, as its alot better than fighting with the zerg, where everyone is chasing kills and getting in each others way.

my kdr ratio has gone from 1/1 to when i first started to 1.85 now and climbing by 0.10 every week.
    been playing for about a month and a 1/2, in an hours session my kdr ratio is now around 2.5
    i very occasionally snipe and use lightning though.

as you level up you do become more effective and you start to understand the game more.
    so stick with it.
  12. vastaitku

My KDR hovers around 1 (I play LA 90% of the time and infantry 100% of the time) and looking at the most killed and most killed by rankings for my account (bunch of deaths to vehicles in the latter), the percentages of people with a bigger e-pen... KDR for those lists are around 25% and 40% respectively. So I'd say that most of your opponents in tight quarters are going to be below 1 KDR. Then you have to take into account the possibility that the kills they've got are from using vehicles or sniping, in which case the number won't necessary tell you anything about their prowess when it comes to lazoring you in the face.
  13. karaperro

First, K / D means nothing if you are having fun playing, well.... maybe always means nothing:)
    Second, depends on your play style, if you're a support player you should not worry about your K / D, 0.5/0.9 would not be bad, your stat is experienced by minute, but do note that each time you die you stop doing support, I mean is always better if you do not die too many times
    Third, If you are concerned that you die a lot, it might be better for you not to be in front line and play more slowly, not be the first to reach the combat and not be "machomen" is a good way to improve your K / D. You have many tools Use them all
  14. Zitroxious

Envious of your k/d.. lol whatever.. its extremely easy to get high k/d as a sniper especially if you dont commit yourself too much to one spot, and know all the good places.. i do it all the times and so do many others, also always playing with a medicmate will do wonders for k/d
  15. IMTasty

YOU, your in game name, I hate it. :p Everytime I kill someone I try to read the name to see who it was, if it's you I go "**** it's that guy with the ridiculously long name, god the letters are small". It doesn't help that for some reason my brain reads it as Killerofcommanderofdragons. You my friend, should be ashamed, my gameplay experience has suffered because of your name. :(
  16. JonboyX

It's such an awful stat to have in the game. For the most part, you very rarely have an even duel - most of my deaths are shots in the back from somebody you've not seen, and I'd bet a lot of my kills are against people who didn't know I was there. For a game that prevails on massive infantry battles, there are always occasions where there are more people shooting at you than you can shoot at, and you're always going to go down fighting in those circumstances. That's WHY there're points for assists.

It's also rubbished by the number of TKs (these should be punished with XP/resource penalties imo, but there we are).

Still - if you're going for a guide, 0.99 is probably average. I bet the majority of players are between 0.7 and 1.5 which makes anything above that pretty good. It's horribly distorted by vehicles though.
  17. Haterade

What this guy says. Ask yourself a question: what is the point of what I'm doing? If you're playing heavy assault, tanking or flying in an ESF, the answer is killing people. K/d is a useful metric for that. I play medic 90% of the time and my most heavily played vehicle is the Sunderer. My K/d is naturally going to be lower than some of my IR brethren who focus on tanking, flying, or run HA. With the same skill, I usually have a K/d .5-1 points higher playing HA than I do medic (and I'm not really experienced with HA, either).

A lot also depends on what you're doing. Are you playing with a zerg? You'll likely have a higher-than-usual K/d. Defending is easier than attacking when everything else is equal. Bio labs can lead to better K/d while playing infantry because you don't have to worry about vehicles inside the dome.

Are you having fun and are you, within your role, helping your team win. Those are the most useful metrics.
  18. CaptainYamerica

Rarely doe the first post in response to an OP pretty much sum it up.

So much more to the aspects of "winning" in this game than K/D
  19. Posse

I don't really know what's normal, it's to be expected that the average KD of infantry is less than 1 because of suicides and because it's to be expected that armor and air have more than 1 KD average. And what's more, the average KD depends on the class you're playing, and how you're playing (average KD of medics will probably be much lower than average KD of HAs). So normal would be to have the average KD of your main class +- 0.2-0.3, good would be having more than that, and bad having less than that.

But of course, the relevance of your KD depends on the role you're playing, for snipers (by snipers I mean infiltrators who play as snipers, not infiltrators who go and hack stuff), HAs and MAX I'd say it's very important since they're supposed to kill people, and the less you die, the more likely you're to get more kills and be useful (unless you are EXTREMELY cautious), for medics and engineers it's almost irrelevant in my opinion (as long as they fullfil their role)

I agree but to a degree, there's another factor that's as important as your accuracy in a firefight, and that is your ability to avoid dying, at least if you want to measure performance in combat, the KDR depends on both the accuracy and that invisible stat I mentioned. Besides, what would be a good accuracy? It mainly depends on the weapon so it would be hard to measure.

This is probably the most stupid thing I read in this thread, what makes you think you can't have a high KDR and be useful by capping points or destroying the enemy armor with lock on rockets? Besides, doing a suicide rush into a point doesn't accomplish anything if you don't kill anyone. The guys who have high KDR have it because they kill a lot, not because they're afraid of dying. I always get more kills when I'm careful and try not to die than when I go into suicide mode because doing that probably gets me killed before even firing a shot.

If you think that a guy that plays HA with a KDR of 0.5 is more useful than a guy that plays HA with a KDR of 2, you're mistaken, that guy with high KDR probably kills much more in the same fight (and thus is more useful) than the guy with low KDR, being alive longer means you have more chances of being able to take or defend the point successfully.
  20. Zluu

If you have a K/D of 1 it means you are in a pretty good spot and should be able to complete objectives with a good success ratio.

What I mean is that if you have a way too low K/D ( lets say under 0.6) , You are nearly useless as LA and HA.

Planetside 2 is a game is a game that demands a fairly high FPS skill to be useful to a squad. I wish there was a VS bots practice map.