People using rockets as primaries

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by gregfox89, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ironeddie

I think there has been an increase in this use of the rocket launcher. It takes me back to my quake arena days constantly dodging rocket or grenade launcher grenades. It's frustrating & if a rocket is being used against another regular infantry then it'd a bit of a lazy easy kill way to do things. Perhaps not very sporting. But then again why should it be? It's a valid use of the weapon as it currently stands.
  2. Odan.be

I only use the Shrike ( rocket launcher) to counter AV or maxes...
    But when someone jumps on me while I am using the shrike, i will shoot you with it... Since switching to the primary lmg takes pretty long in this game i'd rather take my 1 shot chance with rocket launcher...
    Because switching would certainly get me killed...
  3. Serafine

I tend to use this if I get a good LOS on a large enemy infantry clump or against large inf concentrations in small rooms. Sadly the rocket mostly doesn't kill anyone except the one poor player it actually hits. It is also quite useful when fighting maxes.
    And sometimes I use it to camp some doorway, because it will instantly kill the one that walks through it first. Problem is if he isn't alone his buddies will screw you (although it's quite funny if can get a grenade off before they kill you). And if you miss - well you won't have any time to change weapons, so it's a win-or-die.

In most situations you are, in fact, better of with your rifle (LMG, Sniper) because you really deal a lot more damage and your chances to survive the fight are a lot higher. I've seen a lot more people dying to proxy mines, grenades or C4 than to rocket launchers.
  4. notyourbuddy

Hate to break it to you but it probably takes more skill to use a rocket launcher as a primary and be effective than it does to use a SMG or a Light Assault with a shotgun.
  5. Hrafnagaldr

I use the RL + Grenade to flush out targets behind cover or to prepare them for my Lasher spam. :)
    Otherwise, I use the S1 vs. MAXes, but I also will try my luck if another enemy cathces my by surprise. LMG with Foregrip just take to long to equip.

Since I'm very good with iron sight aim at long ranges, I will also use it against "stationary targets" like Snipers and engineers behind turrets of course. If the cant dodge it it is their fault on such long distances.

Also, RL to the face is hilarious, need more S1 headshots.
  6. Patrician

I'll try to kill you anyway I can, including using a rocket launcher; sometime I'll fire rocket into a room on the off chance of doing some damage to you. Then follow up with my LMG; look at as "softening up the target".
  7. deggy

The complaints about this are like the complaints about tank guns.

A rocket launcher will get fewer infantry kills per minute than an LMG because the rocket kills one and reloads. You can take down 5 or 6 enemies with one magazine from a SAW or CARV or Orion pretty easily.

I only use my rocket launcher when I'm caught with it out.
  8. Rogueghost

I only use the RL as an anti infantry weapon when the infantry is both out of my LMGs range and when they are all clustered up together enough for me to get two kills with one rocket.

My record is getting 5 kills with one deci shot, it was a group of 8 infantry hiding behind a rock about 80 meters away.
  9. Granveil

I think he's talking about using the direct hit capabilities, not the splash. It will 1 hit all infantry regardless of circumstances. Maybe if you had a Heavy Shield on at the time, but that also leaves you with low HP afterward.
  10. kennonfodder

Why so angry OP? I do the same when I play heavy.

You know why? I dont want to commit suicide storming a building with enemies inside, waiting to unload their insane high rate of fire guns. Yes you MSW or Orion guys, I think you have an advantage when it comes to indoor fighting (no nerf cry, dont worry).

Knowing this, I enter the room for half a sec, unload the RL and get the kill(s)? :D This is too cheesy for NC?
  11. Emotitron

Show me a killboard where someone is getting more kills with rockets than they would with a firearm... and I will entertain the idea of caring about this post.
    • Up x 1
  12. Epic High Five

I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOUR COMPAINTS OVER ALL THESE ROCKETS I'M FIRING INTO CROWDS OF ENEMIES

ROCKETS ARE ANTI VEHICLE WEAPONS AND ENEMY INFANTRY IS JUST A VEHICLE FOR CERTS

ERGO ROCKETS ARE PRIMARILY ANTI INFANTRY WEAPONS

QED
    • Up x 1
  13. Van Dax

hold on while I charge up my lancer.... :p
  14. Jac70

HA rockets need one change only - they need an arming range safety device. Meaning they won't explode until say 10m, many games use this mechanic. If a HA gets surprised using his rocket he can still fire it at close range but it won't explode. Instead it will hit the target and do massive damage as a solid projectile, enough to reduce the target to a sliver of health but not a OHK. This gives both the target and the HA the chance to survive.
  15. Van Dax

comets already have a damage ramp up mechanic so I don't see why not.
  16. Adamar09

They do?
  17. Nakar

I snipe with rockets. I shoot doorways with rockets. Sometimes people do the same to me. It's cheap, but it's also safer and smarter than charging into a building you're pretty sure enemies are lurking in, and you can always restock rockets at friendly ammo packs. Unless that changes, there's no reason for me not to do it.
  18. Kcalehc

Indeed, the UBGL works exactly like this. Up to 10m, it does not explode, you can still hit and do damage, but it's about half that of a hit with the explosion.
  19. Fang7.62

In a tower *********** when the enemy thinks its a valid MLG pro strategy to have 6ppl in one doorway, I'd be really stupid to not send a decimator there for 3 kills and teaching them something about flanking and not jamming chokepoints. I like anything that annihilates the cqc chokepoint loving CoD/BF3 operation metro noobs that just take the shortest route and cluster around single corner. Herpaderp ima W+m1 hipfire 1000rpm around this doorway and spam nades along with 10 other ppl *decimator in the face*. No you little derp, get some decent ADS gun, use distance and positioning and dont bumrush everything. Then you wont have to worry about RL or instagib scatmax in the face. If the devs force you into these scenarios? Well fk that, redeploy or spam maxes and explosives if they think brainless cqc without flanking options is the way to go (why the hell is this kind of FPS maps so popular? hint: majority of ppl are stupid, hooray for 10x10 maps with tunnel A or B, so many strategies!)
  20. Liewec123

obviously, if NC had something as OP as striker i'd never carry a dumbfire launcher again!