Orbital strikes should not be allowed against spawn rooms

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malebranche, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Malebranche

Talk about cheap, lame butt kills. Whoever thought of orbital strikes in general ought to be fired- it takes no skill to launch it and there's no defense.
    • Up x 2
  2. Demigan

The defense is "people who are inside are only thrown around but receive no damage", just sitting against a wall will protect you from all damage. I think it's more likely that you were tossed out of the spawnroom while being a spawnwarrior and were killed while flying/on landing.
  3. Halkesh

Make people inside the painfield immune to orbital strike damage and buff back the orbital strike so it works inside buildings and we have a deal.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

you'll be sorry you spoke out about OS, you've curesed youself to lots of reading from farmers,
    nuking you inside the spawnroom is clearly fair and balanced!
    tell em Luicanus!
  5. Pacster3

And he'll get massive support by all those spawnroom warriors and horizon tank campers that suddenly got to move once in a while. ;-)
    • Up x 1
  6. LtBomber

LOL,
    do you really die in spawn as a normal infantry player? There is just one tiny rule: If the is about to hit, move to the opposite walland just wait. do not stand under the shield, have something "solid" between you and the sky. That way one gets just pushed up like a jump...

OS is the most overrated weapon in game. I fired more than one onto buildings holding 48+ players and didnt score a single kill. At that time i lost faith in construction again, as it is hardly worth the time. Only thing usefull is building an airterminal and router. No need to defend, since you build it (like before) save and far from the frontlines.
    • Up x 1
  7. Luicanus

If you're caught in a spawn room by an OS in numbers where it's worth using the OS on you then you deserve it.

EDIT: To be clear I'm fine with changes such as extending the minimum time between shots to ~1hr and installing changes that require a minimum of 3 builders to coordinate to build an OS reducing their prevalence.

I think it was LordKrelas who suggested a disruption effect in the wake of an OS shot that prevented a second shot within X amount of time so even if 2-3 OS' were overlooking a base the rate of fire would still be limited to say 1 shot per 30 minutes.

Based on such changes it would simply not be worth it to shoot a spawn room with only one or two people in it. However, one with 30 people in it would be filled with campers trying to farm kills when a base was already lost.
    • Up x 1
  8. Luicanus

Haha, you're still yet to tell me how one shot every 10 hours would constitute farming ;)
  9. MonnyMoony

Not true.

I had a full health Max instagibbed by orbital strike whilst in a spawn room a couple of days back.
    • Up x 2
  10. Liewec123

I too had a full heath max instagibbed while in the capture room at TI Alloys
    Regardless of how obviously OP this is, folks like Demigan (who I agree with on looooads of topics) and Mr Anus
    would have you believe that orbital strikes ruining lattice fights is exactly what this game needs. :D
    • Up x 2
  11. Malebranche

I was on the weapons console sorting through an infantry build when it locked on and hit. How was I to know?
  12. Demigan

The OS should not be able to do that anymore. Any time it does happen is a fluke and that fluke needs to be fixed rather than players starting a campaign against the OS being able to fire into a base at all.

I have no problem with the OS heavily damaging infantry and vehicles inside buildings and I have no problem with it killing already damaged infantry and vehicles inside buildings. The only way its OP is of it kills full health players and vehicles inside buildings. Otherwise the length of time to set up, the amount of warnings given (radar, ambiant sound, voice warning, ambiant lightning change, damage indicators) and the time before it actually detonates allow players more than enough time to get away unless they are inside a building, at which point they should be protected from death unless they had prior damage.
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

A voice warning, the fuzzy environment you still see behind the console changes ambiant color, the deep rumbling sound, the fact that damage indicators are still visible on the console screen and they pop up when you are in the OS danger zone...
  14. Toldeman

The orbital strike is a massive impact, a player can use, with a huge time delay. It is good as it is.
    1. No deaths indoor, only if you get blown out of the room, or a placed mine goes up ^^
    2. not all vehicles will die
    3. you get an impact warning.
    This system works well balanced and fair for all parts. It is clearing heatspots and chokeholes, to bring back the game into flow. And it is funny as hell, to see how all people run like chicken, if the impact warning appears.

It is not an ideal farming tool - about 10 to 15 kills, every 15 minutes? ^^ this is not how "farming" works :D
    • Up x 1
  15. Luicanus

Unless it bugs out on consoles (which it might IDK) there should be an audio warning where a woman announces it's incoming.
    Otherwise, I'd say it's just unfortunate. Much the same as when you step on a mine or get OHNd by a tank or sniper. The point is so long as it's not happening all the time it's not that big a deal, which is why I'd happily see the fire rate reduced to 1 shot every 30 min or 1 per hour as a measure to limit the effects of OS.

As it is unless the spawn room you were in was being camped and the base was already effectively lost I suspect the guy firing it probably only got about 5 kills including you since not everyone would have been as distracted as you were.
  16. Luicanus

Did you seriously just refer to me as Mr Anus?
    Do you still think that players getting one OS shot every 10 hours would be too devastating?
    What kind of rate of kills/xp and reliability of rate of kills/xp do you define as farming?
  17. Liewec123

nope luic! i was talking about that other guy with anus in his name who loves nuking lattice bases... :p
  18. Inzababa

I agree with you !

But then, I really hate spawn room campers ... so ... KILL THEM ALL THEY SHOULDNT BE IN THE SPAWNROOM ANYWAY §§
  19. JibbaJabba

Yes, it does take some skill.
    Yes, there is defense.

Can't say I've bothered to dig in and make some Orbital Strikes since the change. I've just been on the receiving end.

The balance is fine. Attacking a spawn room with one doesn't happen very often because it doesn't make any tactical sense. The target it by definition indoors and likely to survive. If they don't survive then very little has been gained. It's not like they have to spawn then hike all the way back to where they died.

As to whoever thought of Orbital Strikes in general?? The idea came out 15 years ago in Planetside 1, bro. Always fun to have new players tell us "how it should be" though.
    • Up x 1
  20. FateJH

[IMG]
    • Up x 1