One possible solution to the AV-MANA Turret with out nerfing it to extinction

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by axiom537, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Alarox

Go to a large battle with enemy AV turrets firing toward you. There is your proof.

Every person who even uses a tank somewhat frequently must have experienced this. This is not some conspiracy where we evil vehicle users are ganging up on poor defenseless engineers to nerf their AV turrets so we can farm for.

This is something being blatantly obvious and overpowered to anyone who cares to look. I get hit by the turret. I look for where the shot came from. I see missile flying out of the side of a mountain 500m+ away. I scope in with my 2x zoom and squint into my monitor and see nothing. I spam Q and still get nothing. Then the missile collides with my tank and I hear PLINK. I've learned through experience that if this is the case, even if you aim directly where the missile is coming from you can't hit the turret or the engineer because it is based on client side hit detection.

You want me to personally get screenshots just for you? Why don't you go in game and look for yourself?
    • Up x 2
  2. RealityWarrior

I disagree. I can agree you can't see them as they are small targets at range but not finding them and not rendering are 2 different things.

No the conspiracy is from the lies that people perpetrate in hopes of getting the devs to change something based on non factual deception.

I didn't cry about the tanks repairing. It is a *** for tat situation. You all want to whine about the things that effect you but ignore the hurdles that your opponents have to over come. I don't state it as something that needs changed just as a point to show that jumping out of a turret is equivalent to backing up and repairing. How silly would I sound if i demanded tanks have to return to a friendly base to repair because I can't kill one that keeps backing out of LoS and repairing? That is how silly your argument sounds.

Tank rounds move significantly faster than turret missiles. You CAN see them coming usually but there is a 1/2 second delay from the time you press exit till you actually exit. The flight of a tank shell in that 1/2 second = death. One hit kill. I don't get to be hit once or twice and adjust or reevaluate. One hit and it's the respawn screen.

Irrelevant. Support would mean other people would watch you die in less time than it took to place the turret and get into it at those ranges.

You don't like that someone plays the game, the combined arms game, differently than you do so you just wan them to stop and play the way that suits you? *GASP* There is a reason you are not on the dev team.

Yes. They. Do.

I think you all are crazy, lying, blind, or playing on 6 year old computers.

I have no problems spotting and killing enemy AV turrets at long range, and honestly they are the number one thing that kills me too.
  3. St0mpy

Sounds very much like you are saying you cant see where they are therefore they must be 750m away.

When making a claim at least make some effort to back it up, saying go to a large battle isnt it.
    • Up x 1
  4. RealityWarrior

I go to those battle, I am in those battle. I prioritize enemy AV turrets in those battles. I see them render in those battles. I kill them in those battles. I am killed by enemies in those battles. That is how I know you are wrong.

I swear to Papa Vanu that the people that whine on the forum have all remapped their Q key and those that haven't laugh every time they read this non sense.
    • Up x 1
  5. St0mpy

oh no, cant press q, someone else might see them and steal the kill, only nubs press q

/sarcasm :D
  6. Alarox

It is not a case of a ****** monitor. It is not a case of a ****** computer. It is not a case of a ****** internet connection. It is a case of us literally looking directly at the side of a mountain or hill where a missile magically spawns out of thin air, and no matter how close you get to your 20+ inch monitor in 1080p with 2x zoom while squinting, the ONLY think you see is terrain and a missile magically forming. No matter how much you spam Q, no matter how much you shoot directly at where the missile is coming from, you can not see the turret nor hit it.

And I know I'm not crazy or blind, because after getting closer they HAVE rendered. The problem is that my tank renders for them before their turret renders for me.
    • Up x 1
  7. St0mpy

Here let me help you, its an analogue rendering device.

[IMG]

I left the game last night with less than 90 kills till AV turret auraxium and have yet to ever (ever) come up against one that I could not see and reach out with my own to plonk.
  8. deggy

Ah, so you can counter it with itself.

Isn't that kind of the definition of broken? The only counter to it is itself?
  9. Alarox

Just for you two guys, I went in-game and did a simple test that took about three minutes. Uploading it now if you guys don't mind waiting for a little bit (30m).

I went to the warpgate, placed a sunderer just outside of it, then flew out about 500m. I placed an AV turret and confirmed that I could still see the sunderer. I shot the sunderer with the AV turret then flew back to the warpgate. I used a 4x scope (twice as powerful as what a tank could use) to see if I could spot the AV turret; to see if even a pixel would render for me.

Guess what? No turret.

If not even a 4x scope will render one pixel for me, how does one render for a tank that can use only up to a 2x scope? I'm not expecting you to accept this until you see the video or test it for yourself, but is there a flaw in that logic?
  10. Kaon1311

Cant farm infantry with an AV turret ;)

Just make it lose its laser guide after 400m
    or
    It loses 10% damage every 50m after 300m, so after 800m it does 0 damage. The harder it is to hit, the less damage it should do.
    or
    Make it cost resources and the engy can only carry 2, atmo if the engy jumps off just before my second shell hits (prolwer anyway), he will be back within a few seconds. But then make it deploy on more uneven ground.

Funny to think it had its flight time nerfed by 1/3 and its still borderline OP.
  11. Lamat

The AV Mana turret is the biggest fun killer in the game now. It's too effective and I feel obligated to use it to stay competitive. It feels dirty to use, but everyone uses it. I think a range limit of 300m would be great. Infantry should not be engaging in combat outside of their render range. They should have ways to defend against vehicles at closer ranges and they already have plenty.

I say this as a primarily infantry player. There is so much cover now it's not hard to avoid vehicles killing you, and so easy to C4 and rocket kill vehicles when they get close enough to be a threat. If you get killed be a vehicle between bases, you are in the vehicles world, and they SHOULD dominate there or whats the point?
    • Up x 1
  12. patricio_z

First, are you positive that the render engine treat enemy and ally the same? Or, manned or unmanned also?
    Second...seriuosly people you need to use q spamming, turret users need that too as THEY HAVE NO ZOOM
  13. Bloodlet

Apparently nobody will be satisfied until engineers are useless. Nerf AT Mines, Nerf UBGL, Nerf AV-Mana Turrets. Lets just give them a swiss army knife to fight and repair things with.
  14. RealityWarrior

Yet the same thing can be seen while in a AV turret with no zoom?
  15. Alarox

In the AV turret I was able to see the sunderer without zoom at all. With a 4x zoom scope from the same distance, the AV turret did not appear at all. That is what I saw during the test.

The maximum range that a tank will be able to see an AV turret is obviously much shorter than the range I tested, so the AV turret should be able to hit tanks at long ranges without being rendered based on what I saw (though I already know this from first hand experience).
  16. patricio_z

I think everybody agrees on both turrets and vehicles should render at the same range...if they dont, then SOE needs to fix it, any proposal to also nerf the turret in any way is pointless and pushed mostly by people who are exclusively on the receving end.
    • Up x 1
  17. Lamat

Another idea: make the turret an inventory consumable like C4 and you can only carry a limited number.
  18. WaaWaa

Sure you can!

19. WaaWaa

Isn't that the argument people give to me about being spawn camped and saying that the only counter to armor is more armor? So by your own definition base design is broken and you admit my ideas are correct!
    • Up x 1
  20. axiom537

First off I probably have more experience with the AV Mana turret, then you, and I also have multiple posts going back over a year and a half attempting to address base redesigns and spawn room placements to minimize spawn camping and improving the infantry vs vehicle and infantry vs infantry fights in and around bases and outposts. Most people in here are reasonably discussing this issue are not concerned with spawn camping because that is a separate issue, and irrelevant in this discussion since the AV mana turret would be and is worthless as a weapon system to counter a boxed in spawn room.

We are specifically addressing KNOWN issues of the AV Mana turret, 1000m max range (FYI this is out of render range), not rendering properly even when under 750m, being un-counterable in some situations and disrupting & influencing vehicle vs vehicle fights in open areas far and away from infantry and the turret itself.

Feel free to read my suggestion for addressing those KNOWN issues with the AV Mana turret and my solution to minimize or solve those issues without making the AV Mana turret worthless. I look forward to any comments or suggestions to improve on the idea I have presented.