[Suggestion] "Offensive" use of mines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Haterade, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Haterade

Never said it consistently happened. Has it happened? Yes. People come from weird angles while I'm engaging another target and drop the mine before I can get that last shot off. They don't have to be right next to you to hurt you, either. This whole issue is further exacerbated in tech plants and other places where player rending is a problem.

Either way, if it happens once that's too many. It's a counter-intuitive use of mines which are supposed to be passive and defensive.
  2. Lord Nod

Mines are fine as they are. They cost a lot, require multiple to destroy vehicles, have a cert specifically to deter them, and are easy to spot with special scopes (night vision, etc). If you're complaining about land mines, it's because you didn't invest to counter them and don't want to. Well we invested in them, so suck it.

Just because a game is FPS does not mean it should shun people that aren't quick with reflexes or shooting. Those who excel at FPS still need backup. And those backup need ways of defending and getting certs too. If you invest heavily in being a beast in combat but have no investments in being precautious, then accept the consequences of proximity mines and land mines.
    • Up x 1
  3. f0d

mines are fine

whats wrong with using them offensively? that what i do in every game i have played with mines in it
  4. Takoita

We need more mines - to better defend with. And not have them detonate on a first sneeze (ever had your lovely clays killed by a generator exploding?).

Attackers need more tools to find minds and disable\defuse them.
  5. Sock

So you're upset about getting killed by players flanking you? What's the difference between them shooting you or dropping a mine then, other than by dropping a mine they're wasting their own resources and probably getting killed?
  6. Haterade

One's counter-intuitive and one isn't.
  7. Tuco

Yes I'm sure that's what they are used for in silly BF2/3.

But for a serious MMOFPS mines are for defense.
  8. Tuco

If you're going to run right up to a tank to put a mine under it, you might as well just use a decimator and spend 1 extra second to run behind the tank.

Mines are for defense, not offense, they are not fine.
  9. MagicBlubber

Bravo, bravo. This is pretty much the case here. And I've got to be honest, if it came to degrading the game into just a twitch/reflex shooter I'll have absolutely zero interest in continuing to play.

Why is there a thread complaining about mines again? Is it that Deploy and ditch Sunderer pilot who wants to fire and forget his SAMS and not have to watch it?
  10. f0d

and in ps1 i used them offensively also
    although slightly different to what we are discussing - when attacking a base (or even before the attack) i would lay them outside the vbay outside the backdoor / front door / roof exit and pretty much any exit or entry into a base which you could do with 25 mines

what serious mmofps could you ONLY use them for defense?
  11. Tuco

That's why when it's done this time cloakers shouldn't be able to use CE, and when placing CE your character should be frozen in place for 5 seconds, so no more running and tossing.

Phfffft none. wwiionline didn't even have mines.
  12. Figment

I think it would be worth to mention to the new players, that proximity mines in PS1 (akin to bouncing betties and tank mines in PS2) were only allowed outdoors. Indoors you had to use remote mines, called boomers (C4).

Turrets etc, same thing: only deployable outside.

In fact, mannable turrets were strangely only allowed to be placed outside of a SOI, ie. around 50m outside of a tower (outpost) to 250m out of a (non-neutral) base and you could only place them 75m distance from one another too. To avoid camping. >.> (I know better camping equipment than low health stationary ground level turrets though...)
  13. Figment

NTU silo, surely?
    • Up x 1
  14. f0d

holy crapola i cant believe i forgot the most important one
  15. f0d

cloakers couldnt hold enough to fully mine a base quickly imo - i used HA with surge (to get around faster) i could mine/spitfire a base we are attacking in no time

first 6 boomers to take the tubes + some mines at entry exit doors then go back to ams/nearest outpost for refill
    then 3 mines at the backdoor with a turret - 2 turrets and a few mines at front/top entrance then back to refill with all mines
    the rest of the mines you mines the crap out of the vbay and ntu silo

if you are now at the stage where the rest of your faction are coming to the base - then hack the base run back for AI max and defend the control room until friendlys arrive

laying CE was so much more fun in ps1
  16. Yeo-Yin

ok, so you didn't put anti-tank mines on the ground ? If you don't, you can be 5 engi it's not a problem : i'll just pick my shield breacher sundy, go into the shield near A then hack the terminal and you'll have about 12 tanks in the yard.

Also, you talk about zerg, but if it's really zerg you have dozens of ground troops everywhere and you can't do anything.

That said, i love to use mines, because it's fun. Personnaly, i put them on the land place in towers at amp stations (the place you arrive when you jump from a tower to an other). I also love to put them in teleporters (so people inta die when teleport on it).

But, it's only fun. If you have more than 5 people, you won't be able to do anything. plus, they'll snipe you when you'll go from a generator to an other. And they'll shoot on you mines.

That said, an other good place is near the generator in tech labs. Just because it's rare that people succeed to enter when you def, but it can happens and the mine will solve this little problem (people won't just leave the defense position to go in 40 vs 1 at the generator).
  17. Aelloon

Hey guys, I have this question:
    who of you has legitimately BOUGHT mineguard and tried it out?

Thank you for your time!

You AREN'T shoehorned into picking mineguard, when would you EVER pick mineguard if what you're complaining about wasn't possible? If driving over mines doesn't instagib your Sunderer then there would be no point to mines. The engineer jumps out and repairs the Sunderer. Infantry resources wasted on the mines while the driver gets free exp.

And mines ARE visible. You're just too blind to see them or won't invest into IRNV scopes.
    Edit: Just to clarify, mines are visible WITHOUT IRNV scopes. With IRNV scopes it's very difficult to not see them.
  18. Tuco

Cloakers in PS1 used CE for offense, that was wrong. Although it was still funny as hell to jammer some enemy mines and watch the enemy cloaking minelayer die on top of their own mines.