Not only does K/D need to stay we need Mwoar stats

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cortosis, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Protential

Yes plz, remove KDR so no one has to learn how to play effectivly. No one can tell they are doing bad. And I can continue farming newbs.

Actually I'd acually be more happy with large groups of idiots rushing at me and dying to me over and over...I'd get way more certs, and they would be happy doing it. Then they can go tell some story about how they face rolled me 100x, and we will all start recording encounters with these people to prove they are lying.

Its an FPS, revovled around killing, and competition. Excuse me for wanting to be good at it
  2. Cortosis

yup got over 800 kills with my Pulsar C, around 700 with my lasher, around 1000 in my max and 2000 in my mag. Going for my Medic hv-45 atm got around 200 kills got distracted with the new smg tho lately which if we had the stats i would be able to show :p

Edit. just logged on to check got 7000 kills only 3k in vehicles all of which are ground. "i can't fly and lib gunning is soul crushingly boring"
  3. maxkeiser

Indeed. There is really nothing to change. People who want to look at the kdr can, people who don't - DON'T LOOK AT IT. That way everyone is happy.
  4. Itermerel

except high kdr doesnt mean you are playing effectively. for the most part, it promotes selfish cowardly anti-team play. are you a medic healing/rezzing? are you healing a max? are you deterring air enough to keep them away but not finishing them off? are you bombing a sunderer? (this one actually has a CHANCE to land some kills, i once bombed a full sunderer before, it was so satisfying lol), etc. the list goes on and on.
  5. CoffeeBreak

MORE STATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like stats for deaths caused by bugs like...

Suicides caused by:
    • Buggy max rank Jetpack dropping me to my death when all the fuel is consumed in 1 second.
    • Jumping off a one-story building and Jetpacking to avoid all damage but actually taking full damage like I jumped off a cliff.
    • Falling through the world when spawning at a sunderer.
    • Hacker throwing me out of the warpgate so I fall to my death half a mile outside the map.
    • Dying because my tank hit a tiny pebble that caused it to explode.
    • Using the people launcher at an Amp station and going 600mph past the next tower and slamming into a mountain half a mile way.

Then I'd like to see what my K/D is without all my "Suicides"
    • Up x 1
  6. DuckSauce

You can pad your K/D.

You can pad your score per hour.

You can pad your base captures and defenses.

Actually leading a squad or platoon is terrible for your K/D and score.

None of these individually gives a complete picture of a player, and even together they're not incredibly useful.

K/D clearly isn't meaningless, but you can't create an informative comparison between players with our current stats. The most faithful comparison would be so specific (e.g. K/D in a MBT, against other MBTs, while fighting enemy armor at 600m, and outnumbered 1.25:1) that even the best possible stats probably couldn't show it.

People fighting over which stat we should smack players in the face with are kind of missing the point. You can't know a player from one -- or even all of -- their stats. However, since we already know via dev tweets how much data this game collects, they might as well make it available to players who are interested. More information is better.

I don't much see the point of the counter-arguments. If some stupid troll wants to bully or dismiss good ideas because of the poster's stats, more power to them. They can spew whatever inane, obnoxious garbage they want (trolls always do) and good players won't listen to them. On the other hand, is it such a controversial notion that bad players might come up with bad ideas?
  7. Thurwell

I take objection to the comment that leading a squad or platoon is terrible for K/D or score. If you're leading well your score should go up, not down.

Halo used to have a feature where, when you were looking at the stats, you could actually see a trace of yourself moving around the map, where you got kills and where you died. That was really cool. I mean, it probably still does, but I haven't looked at the modern halos. It also had all the stats by weapon of course, K/D, accuracy, time spent with, plus the reverse stats such as what's been killing you, etc. It was really fun to check all that stuff out.
  8. DuckSauce

If you say so. Every second I'm in the map screen is a second that I'm not shooting at something, fixing something or healing something. And collecting reports from a whole platoon and then tasking squads is a wee bit distracting to be at my full fighting potential -- but maybe you're a better multi-tasker than I. Leading a good squad might be more rewarding than running around like a headless chicken, but it's definitely less rewarding than being a member of a well-lead squad.
  9. Sevre

But as others have said, there's no easy way to see someone else's KDR in-game, and It's not like I'm going to PSU search everyone I plan to invite into my squad to make sure they "meet requirements".

I just like grading myself with KDR. it makes me consider different strategies to be more effective, cus if I'm dead I'm not being very effective.

I've said it before and ill say it again: If you like not-caring about KDR so be it, join or lead an outfit of like-minded. That's what outfits are for. But please, please stop trying to dictate how OTHERS should play. This is a game, meant to be enjoyed. So people may play it differently than you for their own enjoyment.

I, for one, prioritize captures and defense over KDR, but I do monitor my KDR to see whether my strategies are proving to be the most effective.

Finally, since there is no "win condition" people have trouble struggling with the thought they make their own "win condition" to enjoy the game. People say capturing bases is the main priority; but that base could change hands within 20 minutes. Some say It's capturing continents; but tomorrow you could log on and have lost all your continent bonuses. The game will never have a hard "win condition", like beating the last level in a game -- that's the point of a persistent MMO.

The fact is: the "win condition" in this game is what you make it. My personal "win condition" is capping bases, defending continent locks, playing with my RL friends, and hitting my KDR goal of a 2-4.
  10. DuckSauce

That's kind of my point. With the poor present state of stats, K/D is pretty useless for anyone but yourself and anyone who knows how you play. I also look at my own K/D to measure how I've been playing because I know what I've been doing.

Example:
    I sneak my Light Assault over a vehicle gate around a tech plant. There's plenty of fighting on both sides, so no one has seen me yet. Target-rich environment. Do I use my C4 on:

1.) One of the handful of tanks popping in and out of cover to take potshots at friendly lines?
    2.) Two of the clusters of enemy infantry hiding behind the gate?

In my mind, the tank is way better for my faction's ability to push up on the plant. Clearly the groups of infantry are way better for my K/D. Prior to Game Update 2 (where a well-piloted 2/2 tank can be worth a LOT more than a cluster of infantry) bombing the infantry would have been better for my score as well.
  11. EvilPhd

12. INFP

Why remove K/D from the game when its available on PSU? I'll tell you why. Because people generally don't alt tab checking their PSU stats whilst they're playing.
    Take out K/D ratio and we might have less people shield camping at the Biolabs and more people actually trying to break a defence.
  13. MaxDamage

Hate to break it to you pal, but K/D exists whether you look at it or not. It is not sentient, it controls no-one. People are however thinking, feeling human beings, and if they CHOOSE to play with K/D in mind, who the F do you think you are to impinge on their enjoyment of the game the way they want to play it?
  14. DuckSauce

No thanks. I like my session K/D.

Not really interested in whether my current session has moved my lifetime K/D in the second decimal place.
  15. Garantine

Lmao. I was simply trying to explain to you that K/D is mainly a tool used to measure e-peens on the forums and to distract people from real issues (eg. your k/d isn't high enough, that means your comment on weapon A being overpowered doesn't mean anything, so nerf weapon B, because my k/d is 23 and you suck), nothing more, basically what you've done for the entire duration of this conversation. Now you're going off on some wild tangent about how I'm using the K/D barrier to build internet fame and tell forum stories about my 2000 kill knife streaks.

You are a ******* joke.

I don't care if you're good at the game. The point that you are missing here is that your K/D isn't really an effective method to measure your impact on this game anyhow, not alone at least, without other stats involved. I am also interested in being good, I'm just not delusional enough to think that one statistic is enough to measure my skill in a game that truly puts a focus on combined arms.
  16. Garantine

I only play with K/D in mind when I plan on logging into the forums after I'm done to inform everyone about my 2000 kill knife streaks, which are so common at this point that I don't even really feel special anymore for being capable of them. I'm like the Lebron of PS2. Protential alone accounted for probably 100+ of the last streaks kills. He was busy checking his k/d after every life and couldn't see me lol-god-im-too-good sneaking up on him.

Internet fame achieved. My job here is done.
  17. {joer

To what people?

I think the issue is to hide embarrassment at a poor KDR, a sort of digital feel good nonsense.
  18. Garantine

I think the issue is to provide an ego boost when able to visibly see your SN with a number next to it higher than the numbers of the other forum posters.

A sort of digital narcissus complex.
  19. sosolidshoe

Attitudes like this bollocks are exactly why K/D is a poisonous metric. This game is competitive, but not in the same way as a normal map-rotation-based shooter; the factions are the competitors, the players are supposed to use cooperation to ensure victory. K/D is a narrow measure of individual skill, while "Score" takes individual skill into account but does not rely on it exclusively, also factoring in the contribution a person makes to the success of the group.

I can sit on a hill padding my K/D with my V10, and pretty much my only contribution to the team is being a minor annoyance to the enemy, because that's all death is to an infantryman in this game when it occurs outwith specific meaningful circumstances, like the last few moments before a generator overloads which they would otherwise have prevented. Or, I can grab an SMG and focus my efforts on ensuring every base our faction rolls up to is awaiting them vehicle shields down and terminals hacked and ready for use. Doing the latter the majority of the time will result in a significantly worse K/D than just shooting people in the face as they run out of the spawn room at TI Alloys, and the same is true of dozens of roles, both ones built in to the gameplay mechanics and "emergent" roles that are spawned of player ingenuity.

There are no "tickets" here, no set amount of enemies to kill to win, respawns are infinite, and kills not achieved in pursuit of a specific objective are worthless. The metrics used as the basis for the game's reward system DO encourage and reinforce player behaviour, better to choose a metric that reinforced teamplay and objective-based tactics.
  20. JPUK

The issue here is that most young gamers are still rabidly chasing recognition; while us old school gamers have better **** to do and use these games differently.

If you simply allow everyone to hide/show their public stats (which is the decent thing to do anyway) you are free to mock those who hide their K/D as noobs, but by definition those people don't give a ****. All is well. You can then parade your K/D all you want.

The key thing here is simply giving people choice, not ******** and whining, or whipping out the armchair psychology.