[Suggestion] -|||| New weapons need to feel new ||||-

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LHeureux, Dec 9, 2012.

1. TheEvilBlight

Eventually they'll just outsource the work overseas. Looking for twenty good designers with 5+ years experience, starting wages 10 dollars/hr. A princely sum. Look at cartoons-many studios do storyboarding here, but final cell drawing went to South Korea, at least before they used computer interpolation to replace the legions of animators needed to draw and color every frame.
  2. ZoSoGetsu

I have been saying this for so long, and I was patient with it in beta.. I kept waiting and thinking they were going to replace the generic models with unique looks for all of them. SOE, you are cheating yourself out of A LOT of money by not making unique models!! I mean CMON.. you even have SHOTGUNS AND CARBINES sharing a model. The model of the weapon is the MOST NOTICEABLE customization a player has, even more so than weapon camo. Many people want to buy weapons based on how they look, and that's pretty much all they are because of the term you love to use so much, "sidegrade"... I'd say hands down and way at the top of the list of things that disappoint me about this game, this is at the top.. BF3 has real world weapons, but at least you see something different every time you change one. You guys have FULL CREATIVE POWER in how your weapons look due to this being a sci-fi shooter and all, why dont you guys use it? I hope people bump the hell out of this post. I don't want it to ever go away until SOE reacts to it in some way..
    • Up x 1
  3. Kardes

Agree.... ugg please more weapon models. People should be able to tell what they are killed by.

I want people to say hey! that guy just killed me with a CME!!!! I should buy that for my medic on vanu .... it seems good!

(bad example.... but the only gun name i remember. atm)
  4. LHeureux

So true!
  5. Azurewind

6. auxili

I literally sent in a bug report when I bought to TRAC-5 S because I thought it was a bug that the gun was a literal clone of the default gun. The picture you see on the shop shows it as a cool white version of the TRAC-5, but when you buy it it's literally the same thing as the TRAC-5. Not even a bloody reskin for seven freaking dollars.

It's an indefensible issue and erring on predatory.
  7. ZoSoGetsu

8. raw

I am guessing this will be some of the new costumes/uniforms available in the shop soon.
  9. ZoSoGetsu

10. Urquhart

Seconded.
    For the love of god, give me my gun p0rn!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Just go nuts and give us our fix...
    • Up x 3
  11. DreadPirate

Totally agree. Maybe they're just adding in placeholders until the whole, "user created content" side of things makes it in. Either way, I smell some lazy devs.
  12. Antivide

Didn't SOE have plans for a player workshop? Like how Valve does it with their TF2 store. Players can submit models and weapon ideas themselves and either the devs or players can approve them for inclusion in the game

Still, I'd like to see SOE make some effort to actually ATTEMPT to make new looking guns.

Gauss Rifle and GR-22 look very different, more of that. ACX-11 and Mercenary look almost identical, that's freaking stupid.
    They all SOUND the same too.
    If SOE wants people to pay for weapons they're going to have to put in the effort to make each one unique.
    • Up x 2
  13. ZoSoGetsu

Lol! Loved all the pics you uploaded.. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!
  14. illgot

But they spend decades adjusting the damage number and reload timer to give us NEW WEAPONS!
  15. ZoSoGetsu

Yeah, laziness is the general concensus.. I wouldnt mind if they went back and changed the models of the current guns one bit.. Just keep the default guns the same, as well as obvious variations of the same gun, like the CARV-S and the CARV-P.. then the minor stock/handle changes are acceptable.. I activated the trial of the TAR just to check it out, but it exists as your TRV choice if you dont want a duplicated model of the nighthawk shotgun with slightly better hip fire... If this were a cool new looking gun, I may just drop 700 sc and stop using my TRV for the change of scenery, but that is not the case because it is just a silly cycler clone that acts like a TRV..

Way to offer exciting new content, team.. -_-
  16. TheBloodEagle

I don't really understand the gun naming schemes currently, because basically they're from the exact same family.

CARV-S, CARV-P CARV Mk2 etc would make sense since they're sidegrades. But giving them TMG-50, T-35, etc even though they're only slight variations doesn't make sense or am I wrong with how guns are in the real world?
  17. Urquhart

Indeed, there is a big difference between having different guns ( M4A1 and MK16, for example) or variants of the same gun (M4A1 and M4A3).

Right now we have Variants of the same gun (look-wise) but they are sold as different guns (hence the different manufacturers and all that jazz)
  18. foam

The problem:
    Designing entirely new weapons is a time consuming, resource using process.

in no particular order:
    -A modeller must model the weapon, and correct any errors the model might have
    -Then textures need to be developed for the model
    -Then it needs to be animated for firing, reloading
    -If it is special, it needs to be properly animated with all applicable character models to look like its being held properly
    -If applicable, special particle effects for its firing animations needs to be developed
    -New custom sounds must then be developed
    -The entire package then must be tested
    and so on

SOE does what it does because its called recycling art assets. Instead of starting from scratch, they take an existing weapon that like the carbine & edit it slightly, perhaps produce a slightly different sound and they are done.
  19. Braken

I recognize the AR from DeusEx:HR and the Geth Plasma Shotgun from Mass Effect 2/3, but what are the other 2 from?
  20. Braken

I think it's safe to say we all realize that, but it's still lazy on the devs' part.

You want us to pay up to $7 for a gun? Well, you better put some work into it...