[Suggestion] -|||| New weapons need to feel new ||||-

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LHeureux, Dec 9, 2012.

1. LHeureux

Most weapons in the game that you unlock look almost the same as the base weapon, the only differences are like, a shorter/different stock, grip or magazine.

When I spend certs or SC on a weapon, I want it to be a different model with different colors than the base one.

And PLEASE, add new sounds, SOUNDS, more sounds. I unlocked the .50 sniper for TR... sounds the same as the semi-auto one, what the hell?

Sounds are a very important part for weapons in video game, it's lame that it's not the same for almost all weapons you unlock.

What unlocking weapons feels like :

Base weapon :

[IMG]

New weapon :

[IMG]

WHAT IT SHOULD FEEL LIKE :

Base weapon :

[IMG]

New weapon :

[IMG]
    • Up x 68
  2. ChipMHazard

I agree. So far I haven't been impressed with the diversity in the firearms for each class.
    • Up x 1
  3. Marinealver

Agreed, the same weapons with a few stat line tweaks is terrible. It is bade enough trying to tell the diffrence from a VS LMG a TR LMG and a NC LMG since they all act the same. Now they all look the same. Take a look at this review, do the good stuff not repeat the lousey stuff. Look at min 9 of this review.

Now SOE just makes 3 of the same garbage with diffrent RoF, Clip size, and Damage Per Shot and call it good. That is a poor sign of quality and borderlines on lazyness.
    • Up x 3
  4. Marinealver

Please hit the like button on the OP tab. Who knows if a thread gets more likes then they might take a look.
  5. LHeureux

Yes please, if you agree with me, like the post. Players tend to read posts with lots of likes to see if the OP is read worthy.
  6. ChipMHazard

Will do:D
  7. Azarga

I agree with OP.
    But actually now it's more like:

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  8. LHeureux

Hehe you're right Azarga, it's even smaller details :confused:
    • Up x 2
  9. Marinealver

Don't Buy the New Ones.

Don't Buy $tation Ca$h untill they make somethign worth spending money on.
  10. Ixal

There are some weapons which alter how classes are played. Except they all suck and feel like an afterthought (Scout Rifles, Battle Rifles).
    • Up x 1
  11. LHeureux

Man, the TR automatic Scout Rifle is a nice and different weapon, but it has the same sound as the Medic's Cycler.
  12. StockpowerXD

That's somewhat true, but for the most part they just add a different magazine like so:

OLD:
    [IMG]

NEW:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  13. Protection

But a spreadsheet told me that the second gun had a 0.025ms shorter TTK, so I bought six.
  14. Datrucane

Couldn't agree more. The current weapons is nothing short of a DISGRACE. How could the design artists even release this kind of crap? It's insulting to say the least.
  15. LHeureux

It's like if they were running low on 3D modelers or something lol.
  16. Daedrick

No way in hell I spend money on these indeed. I was about to purchase the S version of the NC carbine only to preview it and see that it have the exact same skin as the mercenary.

I already spent 50$ on the game, I bough helmets and armor for both engi and max, then all the dual max gun, a battle rifle for my engi and the rest is camo and vehicles decals.

I really wonder what the hell are the artist team working on right now while the progammers try to fix all the ****... I would bet they are already in vacation.
  17. LHeureux

Bumping dat thread.
  18. NOX2097

They can start by making them look different for one. It's almost impossible to tell which gun you're holding in your hand by the way it looks. This lovely design must be done by the same people that made vanu teal. Great stuff.
  19. FatJoe

You nailed it buddy!

I'm the kind of guy that really enjoys reading on and studying weapons in a fictional world. I like to see what design thoughts are put into each weapon and learn what is it's story, why is it different.. As a guy who is, lets say 'a bit', interested in WWII, one of my favourite weapons in a fictional world are from Star Wars as they manage to blend Sci-Fi elements to old WWII guns, designed during the 70's, it's an amazing combination! So as a kind of a guy that really enjoy studying weapons in a fictional world, I got rather disappointed with the variety of the weapons in PS2 :(

Regarding the comparison examples given above, why compare it with something else when you've got access to the actual problem:

[IMG]

Do note that the new GD, Razor, doesn't have it's correct thumbnail, I'll address that later..

First, Lets take a at the top group.

We have the Standard NC Carbine, AF-19.
    It's the weapon of choice because of it's low production cost and controllable Recoil.

We have the NC2B (Gauss Compact Burst)
    Which looks identical to the AF-19. Maybe it's the same company that makes the AF-19, but why then the different name?

Then we have the NC2S (Gause Compact S)
    This is the most interesting weapon, and most out of place. It's the same weapon as NC2B, only selective fire, and share most of the same model features. Yet it's the most unique weapon in my opinion because of it's lighter color (white instead of grey) It's also the only weapon to have a different Magazine.
    It looks the most different, but it's the same weapon as it's brother, only with selective fire.. ...

Then lets look at the bottom ones..

We have the GD-7F
    This one is from Genudine Dynamics, thus GD. It's perhaps the second most unique looking Carbine as It's darker and has a unique front handguard.

We have the AC-X11.
    Which also has a unique front handguard, but fails to deliver a complete unique look otherwise. It's one of the most unique weapons stat wise, High Damage, Low RoF. It also has 20 rounds in the magazine, yet the magazine looks exactly the same as all the others (except the NC2S ...)

And then we have the new GD-23 "Razor"
    First of all the thumbnail for the new GD-23 is the same as for the AC-X11. But it actually looks different. Let's take a look at the model in the preview window:

[IMG]

Now this, is just sad, in my opinion.

It has the Receiver of the GD-7F, a unique pistol grip, but the handguard of the AF-19 and NC2. This is a new weapon, an expensive weapon, and from the players perspective in game it looks the same as the default standard Carbine.. In terms of uniqueness, there's nothing about this weapon that makes me want to buy it. :\

Also, as one F2P game developer to another, if you're going to introduce a new object to your game, that players have to spend either time or money to get, make sure that the most distinguishable feature of selling that object is present and unique (in this case, the thumbnail). It might be an oversight in QA or lack of ambition to sell new content, In any case, it's something to watch out for..

TL;DR:

Basically, don't only think of variety of guns in stats but also like uniform, emblems or other cosmetic options. Unlike the uniform and emblems, your weapon is always on your screen, in your face. And to feel unique while trying to be unique, is to have a unique looking weapon, that looks different from the others.

P.S. :
    I like how recoil is mentioned here and there, and there's a definitive lack of buttstocks on all of the Carbines. I would assume a weapon that has a higher recoil, would greatly benefit from having a buttstock. It's a carbine, it's supposed to be short and light, well, how about a retractable or foldable buttstock, like on many SMG's and carbines. This is technology dating as far back as the Second World War..

I suspect that It's a design choice, as it differs all carbines from other weapons like assault rifles, you always know which is which, but it makes it boring in my opinion. I would, for example, expect weapons that have a higher stopping power(bigger rounds, more muzzle velocity) would suffer more recoil, and therefore be unique in the carbines to feature a buttstock to control the recoil. How about a Bullpup design, the receiver could be in the buttstock, and would make it very unique!

P.P.S :
    The same thing goes with sound! It could be a bit trickier if you want to achieve uniqueness between factions, as well as between weapons within each faction, but achievable regardless.

P.P.P.S :
    Since I was doing a P.P.S, I figured I might as well do the third one as well, just to say
    Hi LHeureux, nice post buddy ;)
    • Up x 7
  20. TheArchetype

Completely. Agreed.