New GPU and PSU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RainbowDash9, Dec 10, 2014.

1. RainbowDash9

just out of curiosity, whats the difference between the 750 and the 750ti besides amount of GDDR5, and how much of a difference in performance is there? one of my friends is thinking about picking up the card and wants to know if the ti is worth the extra bit of money.
  2. BlackDove

In my hardware guide, which was in my first post in this thread i discuss how to analyze GPU architectures.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_700_Series

The 750ti has 52 more cores and 300 GFLOPS more, so its about 30% more powerful in addition to the extra memory.

In the $150 range youre still best off with a 660 though, assuming his PSU can handle it.

A 660 is almost twice as powerful as a 750.
  3. Dragam

Nah, in 150 dollar range, you are FAR better off getting an amd gpu, such as the 270... alot more performance pr dollar.
  4. RainbowDash9

actually looking at a lot of performance benchmarks, the 750ti is like a tiiiiiny bit better than the 270.
  5. Dragam

6. BlackDove

7. Dragam

Well, driver support (or lack of) is what made me buy 2x 780 ti's, instead of 2x 290x... but honestly, those nvidia specific features, are just a pile of poo... barely any game has proper physx support, neither does this game, despite the fact that its surposed to.

But single gpu drivers for amd are fine, and ive recommended friends of mine on a budget to buy 7950 Cards for ages , and they all have super performance... the 7950 is now out of production, so i instead recommend them the 290 (non x), or gtx 970, which has about equal performance and Price.

Regarding 660 vs 270... the performance in neutral games, the 270 is veeeery slightly ahead, but most games these days favor AMD, and in those games, the 270 will be alot ahead of the 660 Card (as the link i posted also shows).
  8. BlackDove

You do realize that Crossfire, even XDMA Crossfire on Hawaii, doesnt work at all with DX9. You would have paid for two cards that performed worse than a single one(and the 290x performs more like a stock 780 than a 780ti).

Keep in mind a lot of those 290x reviews were done with the special BIOS that AMD later got caught using in press samples, and when reviewers tested retail cards that they bought, instead of using cherry picked and special ones that AMD sent to the press, it was a totally different picture.

I dont know what planet you live on where most games favor AMD. AMD gets outperformed pretty often in games that are AMD optimized like Battlefield 4 in that very review i linked you to. Even with Mantle support Intel CPUs destroy them.

Theyre not much cheaper, usually use a lot more power, have tons of FLOPS that dont translate into real world performance, and their multi GPU still doesnt work at all with any DX9 games, even after the issues were reported to.AMD since 2011. They finally decided to partially patch it in software, meanwhile Nvidia SLI has used hardware level frame pacing for years.

With Nvidia you get things like Shadowplay, PhysX(which works fine in plenty of games i play like Borderlands 2 , Presequel, Fractured Space, Reflex, Orcs Must Die 2 to name a few), DSR for free, making them a much better value in reality.

Sure AMD is usually cheaper but its not a better value. And actually from looking at Newegg the 270 is actually more expensive than the 660.

So your statement that AMD gives you far better performance per dollar is not only false, but the opposite is generally true lol. It is specifically true in this case, with the 660 outperforming the 270 in AMD optimized games as well, while offering all the Nvidia exclusive features and costing less.

The only reason to buy AMD is if youre a biased fanboy or something in this case lol.
  9. Dragam

You are joking, right? In the link you posted, the 270 is top in battlefield 4 with 55 fps vs 46 fps of the 660... lol

http://techreport.com/review/25642/amd-radeon-r9-270-graphics-card-reviewed/3

But sigh, i hope that you get a paycheck from nvidia, else youre really a blinded fanboy (not that i need that confirmed, you argue with EVERYONE on this forum, while making questionable statements).
  10. BlackDove

No actually im on my phone and looked at the wrong graph because the text is microscopic lol.

Everything else still holds true though. What questionable statements? I misread .5mm sized text on a 4" screen.

But 5-10 average fps in some games, for a more expensive GPU, that doesnt come with a bunch of features, including multi GPU that works isnt "far better performance per dollar" as you claim. Talk about a "questionable statement".

Oh and heres some data to back up my "questionable" statements.

Heres why Crossfire didnt work for years.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Catalyst-138-Brings-Frame-Pacing-AMD-Radeon

http://techreport.com/review/26996/amd-fx-8370e-processor-reviewed/4 Even with Mantle.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ges-Performance-Fan-Speeds-R9-290X-and-R9-290 Special press cards.

http://techreport.com/review/25611/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-graphics-card-reviewed/9 AMDs "new" architecture getting beaten in an AMD game.

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2014/0...ctcu_ii_oc_overclocking_review/6#.VJDB-mJOnJt

You say i make questionable statements, except i can back them all up with facts. Youd have to be a FANBOY to ignore facts,wouldnt you?
  11. RainbowDash9

are we gonna start up again? dont make me turn this car around. lol serously though, shaddup. everyone know Intel HD integrated graphics are superior.
  12. Dragam

The other Things you mentioned are totally irrelevant - performance vs Price when using a single gpu, amd beats nvidia, especially in the lower Price segment, which is why hardware guides recommend amd gpu's for low to mid budgets.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pc_buyers_guide_summer_2014_dup457c,3.html

Low : amd, mid : amd, high amd / nvidia... so when looking at Price / performance, nvidia only really becomes relevant in the highend segment.

Fortunately for nvidia, they sell alot on the lower end segment aswell, due to alot of people (idiots) only wanting to buy a specific brand, regardless of what test results may show.
  13. Dragam

RainbowDash9 : look up BlackDove's profile, and track his posts - youll find that he does this in every thread he participates in... i usually ignore it, but damn its annoying when he is trying to force his nvidia propaganda on people.
  14. RainbowDash9

well i stick with nvidia for shadowplay, and just cuz its easy to keep track of in general.
  15. Dragam

Its your Money, so obviously you should spend it they way you want to - but looking at it purely from a Price vs performance perspective, there are alot better options when looking at the amd Cards.
  16. BlackDove

Yeah because 5-10 fps is such a huge difference. Especially considering the 270 usually costs more than a 660 or 750ti. Oh waitnmaybe youll use Aldaris argent that AMD gives you two free games you may or may not even want or something .

Say i make "questionable" statements all you like. Youre making blatantly FALSE statements now.

Yeah do read through my post history. See how many people have actually come back and thanked me when i helped them fix their stuff or helped them pick the parts for their PC.
  17. RainbowDash9

if you want to be technical they wouldve thanked someone regardless. just cuz youre the one they thanked doesnt really mean anything.

anyway, i hear a lot of bad things about AMD. (and im not thinking of changing anything my purchase decisions are set, im just having a conversation at this point)
  18. BlackDove

So if you specifically get thanked for for specifically doing something, thats made irrelevant by the fact that "someone else would have done it too"?

Thats like saying people shouldnt be specifically paid for doing their jobs and their salaries should be distributed at random to people who didnt earn it because someone else would have done their job if they didnt. Oh wait, its basically degenrated to that in the west already lol.

I guess the education system destroys peoples ability to think coherently earlier and earlier now.

Perhaps you should buy some random 100W PSU and a 7990 instead. Please do the diametric opposite of all my previous recommendations. AMD is wonderful actually. You get 2x the cores for the same price!
  19. RainbowDash9

*sigh* you completely missed what i was saying, and im not gonna bother trying to explain myself because then thatll start a huge argument with insults because youre that kinda person whos so stubborn that they regress into a 2 year old. you started off good in this thread, then turned into a dick, then turned into just plain annoying. and im pretty sure that the psu is fine. just cuz its from corsair doesnt mean its crap. just like those generic brand raviolis. sure its not chef boyardee, but their still damn good. its still 80 plus certified, has all the watts and volts and all that **** that i need, and its atx. its fine. just cuz it isnt some 30 dollar more expensive power supply thats 500w or whatever (which actually is a waste of money because it wont even use those extra watts) doesnt mean its gonna die instantly and be horrible.

anyway i got what i needed a long time ago from you bunch of 2 year olds, and have my plans figured out. thanks (i guess) and stop being total dick mongers towards each other. this isnt youtube.

oh also, BlackDove, stop acting so high and mighty, and accept when youre wrong, itll do you a lot of good and make you less of an annoying *****.
  20. BlackDove

I dont know how pointing out that Dragams ad hominem was false is "high and mighty".

If anything, having the attitude that "i dont need to be grateful to those who help me because if you didnt do it someone else will" is high and mighty.

I did actually apologize immediately and corrected myself for misreading the title of that graph. Is that what you mean by admitting i was wrong?

You also removed any incentive for people who ACTUALLY know how computers and PSUs work to help you with your smug statement. Youll be left with people who repeat misinformation and actual biased fanboys to tell you what you want to hear.

Whats interesting is that the only people who ACTUALLY restorted to name calling are YOU, Aldaris and Dragam lol.

You guys made all my points for me, thanks!

P.S. ignore all the advice i gave you. Definitely get a 270 and a CWT PSU.