New GPU and PSU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RainbowDash9, Dec 10, 2014.

1. RainbowDash9

So, after a ton of searching and conflicting answers, i decided to just make a thread. why here and not on a hardware support website? cuz this game is the reason im upgrading.
    Anyway, my computer as of right now is as follows:
    Dell inspiron 3847
    Intel 1-5-4440 @3.1GHz
    8GB RAM
    Intel HD 4600 graphics
    and a psu of like... 300w i believe.

So my question is whats the best geforce card for me that has shadowplay (i really need shadowplay) and if im forced to get a new psu, which one should i get? im not an expert on all the specific psu slots and all that crap.
    Oh i should also note that my budget is at most 150 for the card (im good at searching amazon for cheaper prices) and about 60 for the psu. please note that im 18 and dont get income hardly at all (no damn jobs ANYWHERE) so im forced to be a bit cheap.

As for what ive found so far, ive been looking at the gtx750/750ti, which is small enough to fit in my case and only uses a minimum of 300w (im aware ill have to upgrade the psu for some leeway) and i can get the card for about 70 dollars, but are their any better running cards for a similar price?

As for the psu, i kinda have to ask you guys to find me a decent psu thats cheap but good running since i have no idea what kind of slots or types and all that crap. i kinda have a tiny grasp with this psu,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...duct_details?ie=UTF8&me&qid=1418236906&sr=8-3
    but i doubt its too good or even has the wattage it says.
    (any psu's you guys suggest id prefer the link be from amazon seeing as thats what i use :p)

Any help would be lovely and i hope you guys can help me figure this **** out already lol
    Thanks in advance :D
  2. BlackDove

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...e-can-i-run-it-upgrade-advice-threads.170564/

Well since new geforces all boost and this game has some power virus like menus, id highly recommend a new PSU. I list my recommendations in my guide, as well as resources for reviews and who actually makes them.

Seasonic and Delta are all i recommend, for the resons i list in my guide.

Newegg recently had an Antec(Seasonic rebrand fpr $34 after mail in rebate).

As for GPUs youre pretty much limited to an old 660 or a 750ti if youre on a tight budget. Id get the 660 over the 750ti despite being older. Its actually much more powerful.

How many fans does that case have, and does it have that stupid ductwork and literally one exhaust fan like so many prebuilts do? Also will that case even fit a standard ATX PSU in it?

You might need a new case if youre limited to some proprietary sized PSU because of the size of the case. Also, whats the max GPU length thst case can accomodate?

If it is a tricky case to fit a full sized GPU in, Gigabyte and a couple other brands make small form factor GPUs.
  3. RainbowDash9

i figured the 660 would be better, but seeing as im limited on cash for the psu as well, i figured the 750ti would be better because of its better power consumption. as for the whole exhaust fan thing, it only has one (its sad really)
    and as for the gpu's size, i figured if you got the smaller version anyway, it would be fine regardless. (not to mention the best deal for the 750 that i found was from gigabyte for 70 dollars and is the smaller version.)

The cases size is......standard... i guess. heres what it looks like
    [IMG]
  4. baka

You might hold out until the 960s come out (next month?). Most likely you will still need a better PSU anyhow. According to nVidia, The 660 wants 140W maximum and 450W system minimum and the 970 want 145W and 500W system. The 960 might fall out about 130W and 450W system wise.
  5. RainbowDash9

only issue with that is its new so by default itll cost like 300 dollars lol
  6. Jac70

Well if your budget is rigid I think the 750ti is a good fit for you. It has decent performance, is low power and uses a Maxwell chip. Are you sure your system has the option to upgrade the GPU, it's likely it has just I couldn't see any mention of it when I did a search for your system .

You could try using a PSU calculator website to see what PSU they reccommend for your system with a 750ti in it.

As for power supplies, it's always wise to buy a decent branded unit. I have heard good reviews of the Corsair Builder Series units, they do a 430w PSU that is 80+ certified and cheap.
  7. BlackDove

I cant see the back of the case there. It has a PCI-E x16 sized slot but it looks like it has some black lump of plastic where the GPU video outs would go and thats definitely a weird case.

Whats the Wattage on that PSU? Its too blurry to read in the picture.
  8. Ribero

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19579639

Don't know if any of that will help you.

Have an almost identical case, and have been mulling over the exact same questions you have, since a good friend recently offered me his old GTX670

@BlackDove One exhaust fan, CPU cooler is acting as an intake I guess, through a vent on the side panel. The black plastic thing is a little clip which holds the PCI-E slot covers in place, I think.
  9. BlackDove

The cpu coolers fan wouldnt count as much of an intake since all the air it sucks in has to pass over the hot heatsink. Itll just be blowing hot air up into the PSU and out the back from the single exhaust. The negative pressure from the exhaust would suck some air in from the front over the HDDs but that case will likely get hot with a higher than 50W TDP GPU unless the GPU can exhaust a significant amount of air out the back(lile a blower style cooler would). Most of the aftermarket designs blow hot air around the case though. I wouldnt put a 670 in a case like that unless it was a blower style. Itll probably roast.

If it were my PC id get the motherboard and drives and put it all into an Antec Sonata with the 550W Delta PSU and a 660. Thats double his budget but it would turn that into a real PC, capable of playing PS2 on ultra. That also assumes that motherboard is a standard size.
  10. AtckAtck

Man that is an ugly case.
    Looks like a HP or Dell Product to me...

They use special hardware for almost everything. They rip off all their customers if you ask me.
    The PSU are always OEM crap, that won't hold its listed load.
    And the CPU coolers are not exchangable for non OEM Models.
    Some cheap Motherboards dont have a real pcie x16 Slot, despite looking that way, only some kind of weird upgrade card from the OEM fit in there. When plugging a real graphics Card in, the pc wont boot at all.

I hope you better check that first.
  11. Ribero

Yeah, I'm basically using the arrival of that 670 as an excuse to splurge on a temporary new setup since I concluded long ago that the case wouldn't have worked.

On the topic of PSUs, are Enhance/Enhance Electronics a trustworthy manufacturer?
  12. baka

750ti just might be the fit you need. Cards are (possibly!) not too big for the case and have a low system requirement. Also, fairly cheap right now.
    Newegg
  13. BlackDove

I think at least some of theirs are.

I always tell people the two brands i do because ive never heard of a bad model from either, so it makes either brand a safe bet. If you want a database of reviews to check a specific model, use this.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

And the Antec Sonata with the 550W is my recommendation for someone looking for an easy solution. You might do better picking up a separate case and PSU on sale.
  14. RainbowDash9

so all in all, yes get the 750ti, yes get a new psu, and ill have to jerry rig some things to get it to work?
    hell i dont care if i gotta shove **** on the outside of the pc and duct tape that ***** ima make it work lol

oh and yes its a dell bruh, but i was hardly ripped off :p even with the standard this computer can run ps2 on high settings so long as i keep the render quality down.
  15. BlackDove

The problem is that its terribly imbalanced and not upgradeable without great expense in proportion to its initial cost. And to upgrade it right youd need to move it all to a new case.

That CPU would run this game on ultra if it had a real GPU. You could easily pair it with a 970 and 16GB of RAM and it would be fairly balanced still.

Its almost always cheaper to buy more better stuff up front than have to upgrade something after the fact. Thats the i was trying to make.

But now you have several options.

Cheapest is just to buy a 750ti that doesnt require an additional power connector and hope the PSU doesnt fry.

You could also potentially replace the PSU, but you need to make sure your new PSU will fit in that case.

Best option and also the most expensive is to move it into a new case with better ventilation and a big PSU.

Option one is cheap, but you risk frying the whole thing and thats really expensive.
  16. RainbowDash9

well the overall size of this case is 21.93 x 14.88 x 19.25 inches so.... i dont know. i could potentially look more in depth at psu stuffz seeing as i know the 750ti will work out. and the reason i dont wanna go all out with the card is i plan on getting a completely new computer when i move (a custom prebuilt) thatll have all my needs. i just want a marginal improvement for the next year or two till that happens. so if i end up spending like 70 for the card and 50 for a very specific psu, thats perfectly fine as long as it works.
  17. BlackDove

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-125-680&FM=1

A 750ti is going to be about $150. I dont think youll be able to get a GPU with 128bit GDDR5 for less than $100. You might just be able to plug a GPU like this one in, depending on the PSU you got. The Wattage will be on the sticker as well as the form factor.
  18. RainbowDash9

i found a deal on amazon for a gtx750ti (the small version) for 70 dollars, hence why it was my first guess for what to buy, the minimum power is 300w last i checked the specs on nvidias website, and im pretty sure my current psu is only 300 so ill upgrade to a 4-500w psu and thatll be the big purchase since i cant go all too inexpensive with that.
  19. RainbowDash9

went through that other dudes thread and i saw this picture which makes me think all the stuff will fit so long as i get the right type (which i will :p )
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  20. BlackDove

Ooh very nice. Yes that looks like exactly what you should do.