NC Max Riot Shield

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ThePackage, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ThePackage

As much as I would like to think this would be useful, I'm struggling to think of ANY situation that I would want to use this thing over the dash.

1. The shield does not cover enough of your model. Even with the shield up you're very susceptible to gunfire. You're also a LA's wet dream as they can just run up to you and C4 you.

2. Is it supposed to be used when breaching doors? Again your model is seriously exposed, and what is it protecting exactly? It's only protecting you and no one else. As you attempt to breach a room all those other people are still going to get wrecked.

3. You move slow as **** and it's time to activate and deactivate is quite long.

If you want to turn the NC max into some soft of tank that can lead a push, the shield needs some SERIOUS retuning. It would be much more useful if you received a large resistance to explosives and small arms fire when you have it in use. Then I could see a few of these being able to actually do something. As it stands right now, you're just a big blue "C4 me please" sign.
    • Up x 16
  2. Torok

i'll unlock it for the roleplay, that's it. lol
    if it absorbs c4 damage if you're facing it and more than 4 rockets then i'm fine with it.
    else it's crap
    • Up x 4
  3. notyourbuddy

Was wondering the same thing. Saw some people testing it and the result was like 20 Gauss Saw shots before it disappeared. Didn't impress me. If you need to reload, are severly hurt, or a LA catches you offguard Charge is your best friend. Shield on the otherhand... well I can't think of when I'd use it.

As an NC when breaching a room would you rather:

1) Slowly walk in while holding up a big glowing shield alerting everyone to your presence... giving them time to run, have a LA fly over and c4 you, or cause every heavy to press '3' and ready their rocket launchers.

2) Charge in and scatmax the joint before they have time to react.

Outdoors I guess you could use it to protect teammates from sniper fire or something while they advance towards a base, but then again if you are NC what in the world are you doing with a MAX outside.

Who has some good ideas for when to use this thing effectively?
    • Up x 10
  4. Ash87

Put people in doorways with these and lob grenades over the maxes head.

Use it to soak up long range fire while you get into range

Use in tandem with scatter maxes to get through doors, or allow a wall for fire to hit, so that your infantry can pour out behind you and get in closer to the enemy.
  5. Spartan 117

Here are my initial predictions prior to using it on test server:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...king-forward-to-nc-riot-shield-or-not.115455/

I could not have been more correct. The NC Riot Shield needs MASSIVE changes if this is going to be a viable alternate over charge. In the NC Riot Shield's current state, I will NEVER choose this over charge. It is a straight downgrade. The only way I see this working is:

• The shield needs to have 0, yes 0 cooldown/timer unless enough damage is rendered to put it on cooldown. Cooldown should not exceed 15-20 seconds.
    • The time it takes to raise shield needs to be reduced to .01 seconds or brought up instantaneously. Right now there is a several second delay to bring up your shield. A amount of time that is life/death.
    • The amount of damage the shield can absorb needs to be increased immensely. 20 LMG bullets should not deplete this shield. It should be able to take small arms fire & rockets from multiple sources. MAX players are not only sacrificing a gap closer/escape tool by picking this ability they also take a speed penalty. Cannot run with shield up.
    • If shield is lowered, which should also be instantaneous to players action they need to be able to fire immediately. Right now on the test server after you raise shield you cannot fire again, even after switching classes.
    • Feet are exposed currently. Whats the point of taking a speed penalty, losing closer/escape move to only receive a directional cover shield that doesn't cover you from the 1 direction its supposed to?
    • Up x 11
  6. NoctD

My shield absorbed a bunch of Sparrow shots right at it till its timer expired I think. Did see a bit of damage though from the AOE, but mostly scratches.
  7. Goretzu

None of those work if it only takes 20 shots to drop it.
  8. Madmojo

4 shots from Phobos to destroy the shield.
  9. Torok

i believe the shield was max level right?

well anyway not bad i guess.. the max took 0 damage right?
  10. Madmojo

Yea he was fine. I assume it was max rank. I make new test characters for the certs. we were at Allatum when we ran into some NC. We called a cease fire inside and shot at their shields for practice. I didn't try to shoot around the shield, just directly at it. I had my Phobos pump. Other VS shot the shields with dif weapons but I forget how much ammo they used.

The shield looks cool but I really had it in my head it would be a bubble like ps1.
    • Up x 2
  11. Madmojo

Meant to hit reply, see above post.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nobalification

same problem different things. This i say to our Striker :D useless. (different situation) so i think i hope u dont get upgrade your riot shield. Your shield is ok how ok is our Striker. its not hate only true.
  13. Slyguy65

Team tactics.

A wall of riot shields with scattmax's and engies behind them used to dominate enclosed areas...honestly if i was NC i would have many uses for the riot shield...though they would of course be more situational.

Ya the NC ability won't be the best one all round...by why the hell should it...you guys have enough goodies that beat the other two, phoenix, scatterguns...ya you can handle being 2nd or 3rd in the faction specific max ability.
    • Up x 4
  14. Datareaper

Shield doesn't give you or anyone around you more survival, it actually makes it easier to kill you. Big glowing blue target, slower movement, slow arming and disarming times and bad durability.
    • Up x 3
  15. Nobalification

T2 Striker - slow locking, u must be visible, glowing red rockets show u on minimap and on NC/VS eyes, IR smoke or Flares trolling. Dont be silly dont get NC things what easy skill of NC players. Something have advantages and disadvantages.
  16. Revanmug

Pretty much. Just put a few engineer behind Maxes with engineers behind and you'll get the same tanking result. Difference is that those maxes will be able to kill.

You are pretty sad. The locking isn't "that" long. Only the phoenix has the possibility to fire from "cover." Every rocket have a distinctive glow that will often fail to render. Every damn weapon in this game that isn't silenced will show you on the mini-map. I'm not sure how you dare talk about skill when you are stuck with a lock on weapon...

The Striker pretty much deny any air assault from other faction. I have a hard to to understand how you haven't even realise that. It is by far the easiest to use weapon since it is a lock on. A very boring but easy to use lock on weapon...
    • Up x 1
  17. Zaik

yeah, as it exists now there is absolutely no use for it. the things it does charge does better, and it can't even serve all the purposes charge can. sure, it can absorb two dumbfire launcher hits at rank 5, but you are stuck at walk speed with the slowest walking class/faction combo in the game and can't even use it reactively because it takes a million years to pull up.

if they're actually going to give us this piece of crap instead of something useful like lockdown or possibly ZOE(haven't seen it yet), it needs to:

#1: allow sprinting and reloads while it's up
    #2: the shield needs to be pulled up/down near instantaneously, atm it is impossible to use it reactively.
    #3: it needs to adopt the MAX's bullet and explosion resists.

also consider letting us fire one arm while the shield is on the other, and leave a small gap there that we can be shot back from even while it is held up.

actually make an NC on the PTS and go test it, you obviously haven't.
    • Up x 2
  18. Datareaper

Go find a striker thread to cry in please.
  19. irishroy

Datareaper. if you look for being rude, talk to Ash87 and Slyguy65.
  20. Nobalification

omg u are stupid or u are kid?