Modern gamer psychology and how I hope it does not influence the future development of Planetside 2.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baleur, Jan 11, 2013.

1. DanMan3395

In what way is this response a "thing"? The OP is completely correct in that the average forum goer these days is a juvenile little crap that was raised by his mother only and thus knows nothing of what "manning up" means. They are the greatest thing in the world and when anything goes wrong it must be the world's fault because how could momma's little perfect man have failed? Not possible.

Look at the coming patch, they are adding that horrible immunity thing, and a bunch of tunnels because people are moaning about being spawn camped. There is a map, you can spawn all over the place and fight many places and in many ways. How is constantly respawing in the base you obviously are going to lose and charging out the door a play-style?

Yet here we are, already seeing changes to meet the demands of the cry-baby player base. I too am fearful for the future of this game which sucks because this is possibly the best game I have ever played. I seriously must be $200 in to this game and will happily spend more if they keep the game good and just add more vehicles and maps and guns.

In fact the only nerf I am calling for is a nerf of the forums, Shut these things down. Forums are a place where fun goes to die. CLOSE THE FORUMS!
    • Up x 1
  2. Selphie

This may be the best post I have ever read that highlights the problem with games curtailing to the average whiny child that seeks to complain on forums nowadays. I can only hope that they will stave off changes for awhile to let people play this game before it inevitably gets ruined when they give in to the complaining of the masses.
    • Up x 2
  3. beastmode619

i like this except the minor shot at kids raised by moms lol.
  4. DanMan3395

Didnt you clean out the garbage at my office yesterday? Oh wait your 12, it couldn't have been you.
  5. Mechanought

I'm NC, and I approve this message.

Stop whining, play the game, adapt to the tools provided, think for one f*cking second.

Also, teamwork is real, and it requires teamwork.
    • Up x 1
  6. Rossmasta

The times and games you're comparing are so vastly different from each other, that you might as well be comparing horses to Ferraris. Even if you limit your comparison between the dawn of online gaming and now, it's still foolish to blame things on the players. I'm 26 and if I hop back even as little as 10 years I could see there was a difference in players compared to today, especially in PC gaming. But the difference isn't that people became frothing at the mouth degenerates as people like you often make it sound. The pool just got bigger. Gamers aren't made up of 90% adult male nerds anymore. Everyone 12 and up plays games to some extent now. People didn't change, gaming demographics did, and game design philosophies and technology along with them.

As someone who has played games since the age of 5 when I got my Nintendo in 1991, I can remember the NES and SNES era very well. I never understand when people speak about those days like they were some bygone golden era. Yeah okay they were hard and you played them, congratulations, let's have a parade. Most games may have been harder back then but there were a TON of **** games, just like now. In fact if people like you could take your nostalgia goggles off now and then, you'd remember that most games were actually pretty crappy. The classics people always name when referring to these golden days probably make up 5-10% of what was otherwise a vast ocean of garbage.
  7. Mechanought

Hey *******, I was raised by single mother who worked two jobs and attended college full-time to support me and my brother.

She's more of "man" than anyone I've ever met.

You need to pipe the f*ck down with that ****, otherwise we're going to trade addresses and have a good ole fashioned rumble.
    • Up x 3
  8. Thagyr

I wonder how far this conceived 'modern generation' gets along with Demon Souls if they ever played it. In that game the developers really are 'out to get you'. In that they practically stack the entire deck to kill you in many horrific and quick ways. I got humbled very quickly playing that for an hour, and yet somehow loved it all the same. Helped in getting into the mentality of 'Well I died, I ain't doing something right'.
    • Up x 2
  9. beastmode619

demon souls...such a great game :)
    the immersion... so real.

planetside 2 has such great immersion. Its my favorite FPS shooter out right now. And is making a push for favorite shooting game of all time.
  10. Naterian

I agree 100%

Prime example are the forums...everyone always rushes to the forums to whine and complain about something. Never to talk about how much they enjoyed themselves.
  11. anaverageguy

There are occasionally those that attempt to elaborate on how they enjoyed themselves. From what I've seen, it's often drowned out by others that try to put them down with egotistical claims of their own or cries of OP exploitation.
  12. Glowcat

All-Era Human Psychology: **** on other people to feel better about yourself, particularly them newer/different folk.

You could've saved everybody the macho posturing and circle-jerk by people indulging their own ubermensch egos and simply let posters give their input on the game as they would but nope... The status quo cannot be challenged by blasphemous discussion on these forums! If users give their input then *gasp* things might change! Then we'll get people insisting on the new status quo's perfect balance and them deriding people who liked things better the old way as whiners. Same old, same old.

Game design is better when it is discussed. If you'd rather just play and find ways around that then great, but some of us actually enjoy the theorizing around game components and aren't just coming to the forums because we're mad we got killed in some video game.
  13. yadelah

This is... the lamest post I have ever read. It's just... really? Could someone's vision really be this rose colored? A "Back in the good old days" post? About how much better things were when they were a kid? Really? That the previous generation(people/games/whatever) was so much greater and this constant downfall of the current generation is blah blah blaaaaaaaah. Learn to let go of your past and deal with your present. That's the only choice you really have. The games you remember so grand still probably exist so please, for the love of the previous generation, go play those games again. I know I do, and most of the time, they aren't as good as I remembered. Any why is that? Because it was the first games I ever played. It was the first, and so it will always be the best and everything afterwards is going to be compared to that perfect(read:first) experience.

There have always been people complaining about something being OP, games have always had rules changes and gentleman's agreements. Look at chess, look at the evolution of that centuries old game. Passing pawn rule? Made because a chess move was introduced to speed up the game but then a new rule was introduced after that because it was deemed too OP.

http://www.chess.com/chessopedia/view/en-passant

What we have now? It's what happens when you have alot of people who enjoy the same game want to enjoy the same game but have different ideas about what that means exactly because people enjoy it differently. The words "Over powered" and "Under powered" themselves may be a new thing, but arguments about something being too whatever or not whatever enough have ALWAYS been there. Same arguments, different vocab. You'll see it Baseball, Basketball, Olympic sports, everywhere people come together to do a thing.
  14. Lumpychucks

I disagree with OP. While we didn't care so much as to imbalance back in those days.. those where 10v10 or so matches against people we knew (as it was mostly with LAN games back then).
    We are in that age of massive multiplayer, in which class balance is no longer a trivial matter or where the skills (or luck) of a certain player play any large role. It is a large scale group effort. An imbalance in gameplay will no longer affect a single 20 minute game but the whole game world.
    I loved playing the original Quake over LAN and yes we never gave any thought to what was over powered.
    But this is a decade later. I'm as old as the OP and while i crave for the enjoyment of days past, I understand the wold has changed and I'm not a dinosaur that refuses to evolve.
    Massively multiplayer needs balancing!
    Some may over do it, or under do it. But fact is, to just laugh off imbalances in a large scale game as OP is suggesting is ridiculous.
  15. Glowcat

Maybe that was you, but I'm pretty sure I remember people complaining about "cheesy" weapons since the dawn of multiplayer games. What didn't exist then was any real concept of game balance because we had yet to take electronic gaming into the realm of academia and into its own field of Ludology.
  16. Lumpychucks

I don't think you took in all that I said in that post Glowcat. We are basically on the same page if you would take the time to actualy read and absorb my post...
  17. ImGladUmad

No dude....

This is the exact same argument people have been used since generations ago

"Back in my day" "Compared to kids these days" "What happen to the good old times"

Same exact crap except it has evolved to include Games......and also has Political undertone of "Entitled Society", made up by politicians to split the people even more.

I dont agree with the immunity thing but better Level design so battles are more interesting/fair is better than some liberator spawn camping.....Sorry but that is just a design flaw and Im glad SOE is at least trying.

The game isn't that good is full of bugs and issues.......Is a good game but SOE needs to listen to the fanbase.

This game is no way near perfect, and Im glad people are voicing their opinions to try and make this game better considering all the people, this game has lost.
  18. Glowcat

Ah, sorry if I gave that impression. Probably worded that a bit more hostilely than I intended? I just wanted to bring the issue up since it popped into my mind that the OP's impression of the good ol' days wasn't even accurate.
  19. AlesTwo

True post. What saddens me the most is that nowadays gamers often actually destroy the game by complaining long enough about parts of it till they are simplified, just because they are unwilling to take a bit of challenge. And once everything has been dumbed down to their liking, they abandon the game because "it is so boring". Guess where that comes from...
  20. Lumpychucks

No worries. The 'Good ol' days' where in fact quite fun but i'm not a relic and i realize times change.