Modern gamer psychology and how I hope it does not influence the future development of Planetside 2.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Baleur, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dazamin

Hi guys, I'd just like to let you all know that you are entitled babies with no ability and not a mature awesome person like me. I hope you will all agree with me and keep your mouth shut so those of us without special needs can tell the devs what to do. :cool:
  2. Madmojo

You think it's just the players? What about the companies? They are just as much to blame for this so-called next generation of gamers. Planetside 2 is the perfect example of a company releasing a product before it's polished, functional, balanced, purposeful, enjoyable, etc etc. And when things are not working as intended or just flat out designed wrong, they use F2P as an excuse. Unfortunately, the competent people have already left the building (many paying customers) and all that remains are a bunch of whiney brats that flood the forums with nonsense. This makes it impossible for sensible people with constructive posts and hard data to be seen and appreciated. They might as well have called this Coffin 2 because SOE drove the last nails in and it is already to the point it needs to be buried and forgotten.
  3. Stormlight666

i wish enemies were automatically marked with a red marker. i've hit 'q' many times on enemies close by with the game not indicating they were enemies.
  4. Infinity24k

Saying this while being a VS player is kind of ironic. You got the magrider and the scythe. The best vehicles ingame. Of course you do not recognize imbalanced issues. Besides: I am one of the old generation as well but you cannot compare the old games to the new ones. The old games were User VS Computer. So the devs had only one perspective, the one of the player fighting against the monsters. This has completely changed as multiplayer against other humans changes the way of perspective completely. PlanetSide2 is even a MMO and thus is only about balance between you and the opponent. Having issues while playing Super Mario has nothing to do with the issues PS2 has. I see VS infantry and start shooting one second (which is a very long time in an FPS) and still get killed while I am Heavy Assault with shield up and the enemy is a random Medic. It is truely ridiculous that the VS infantry has no recoil and thus is able to take out snipers with rapid fire at distances ~150m.
    To make it short: Join the NC and you will see how big the imbalance is and thus cannot be simply ignored.
  5. Kaittycat

What's easier, saying the game is giving you an unfair battle, or seriously looking at what you're doing and what the enemy is doing and coming up with a way to beat him? One requires the player to drop their ego and admit fault, the other absolves them of any responsibility and thinking power.

Simply put, one requires effort, the other doesn't. It's no surprise that the average gamer will choose the path of least resistance.
  6. LameFox

Whichever one ends in killing the **** out of him.
  7. Fligsnurt

So being a supposed manager at a fast food job is an insult. Honestly if you have a job that pays decently you should be proud, which around here fast food managers do get decent pay in comparison to the people they manage. Also I am not such, nor did I say that I myself would want such power to wield. I think maybe some thinking before you type is needed as well. What I was saying is that the factors I stated are contributing factors to the state of maturity in current communities. I've seen it first hand in every example I listed, I guess it can be listed as more of a theory then a law but from what I have witnessed / experienced its a good rule of thumb.

Also it is up to the DEVs / MODs of the level of moderation they wish to ensue within their own community and this is what I stated. But I said that its a step in the right direction instead of just allowing such behavior to take root and spread. But I have also argued that smaller communities are better then larger ones since they tend to be more close knit / friendly over larger communities who tend to fracture into smaller core groups who support different ideals.

And if your intent was to insult me / "troll" me then you need to step up your game.
    "I think there's something to be said there about the level of rhetoric and entitlement among online gamer communities in general." - Quoted from that link. This speaks volumes towards the issue. And from all of the negative publicity that Bioware received over those two games (ME3 and DA2) has more then influenced decisions of indecisive gamers. Those who have waited to hear the good / bad of the game before dropping the money were driven away from the games due to the volumes of negative feedback on the two, myself included. All I know of DA2 is that its awful and they ruined what was great about the first game. And as far as ME3 goes it was awful, they threw together a terrible ending and isn't worth nearly the money it costs. These as an example are what I had received as feedback from other gamers who played the games, not a single good thing and it more then influenced my decision as well as others. This is also very relevant to any other game out there. Negativity spreads like a wildfire and maturity levels don't really help at all either.
  8. MaxDamage

You lost all credibility when you made the sexist remark that you think it is mainly males.
    Games developers routinely lower the goal posts and reduce competitive nature of games in order to attract more girl gamers. Men are more likely to complain as the game is vastly male populated. So save your ******** "psychology", and enjoy your ESF nerf.
  9. Fligsnurt

This I don't understand. If they lower the goal posts so more female gamers are attracted to it doesn't it bring in more male gamers who are looking for easier gameplay by pure ratio? I've played against more then a few female gamers who are more hardcore then most male gamers I know. Heck the hottest experience in gaming I have had was when a chick handed me a** to me in a 1 on 1 game of F.E.A.R. back when I used to play that a lot. I think just the purview that all female gamers are more casual is more sexist then the act of lowering gaming standards to accommodate such thinking. No matter what the ratio of male to female gamers will still stay around the same (not even sure what that ratio may be).

Also what does your ESF comment have to do with this thread?
  10. Banick

• Up x 2
  11. {joer

Yes the ESF nerf was because of girl gamers :rolleyes:

Women are a non-issue demographic for these games. Yes some girls play, and SOE would be wasting money trying to cater to them. It is wrong to say that women are somehow less complaining about these games, but how that makes him lose all credibility I have no idea. " I'm sorry but in your long essay you made one assumption that doesn't really change anything but is possibly wrong, therefore everything is wrong."

You can rant on the point if you like but your stance is illogical and erroneous.
  12. turtlestation

You forgot one thing too: developers have changed. Thanks to CoD, every major FPS developer feels the need to put as many gimmicks as CoD has so players won't complain their game is "missing" something. I grew up playing Quake and CS, and a lot of problems were, as you say, solved by players. But in PS2, like in CoD and BF, the developers have added so many gimmicks and such that a lot of the times it's simply just not up to us players.
  13. {joer

COD4 I think was close to a perfect FPS, provided your server didn't allow the martyr pooping grenade perk. Perhaps the stupidest thing in an FPS ever.
  14. Roarboar

OP, you have expressed my thoughts perfectly. And even though you diplomatically said that it has nothing to do with age, we all know the answer at hand: Generation rtard is the one and only accurate description of what teenagers are today.
    • Up x 1
  15. Roarboar

Hi, what game did you say you played?
  16. smokemaker

Amen.....
    spears kill my tank..... aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhhh.
  17. smokemaker

I am thinking the OP had more to due with a mentality vs. an empire.
    Todays kiddies are all about :

Me me me, I want i want i want, give it to me faster and i dont want to work for my skills, make the game show me i have skills.
  18. LanceHavenbay

I remember growing up, playing N64 and Starsiege: Tribes, my first memory of a FPS on my computer. We did not complain abotu being under/overpowered. We learned to play like a pro regardless. Bugs were turned into playstyles. Every complaint was nothing more than an excuse to stop trying.

Honestly if you are a person THIS concerned about balance. Find balance in your life. Great thread and thank you for bringing the points up for people to see.

Overall I would go as far to say is that people of this day in age feel entitled to being catered. No one wants to work to learn a new skill, overcome an obstacle. They want to sit down, kill things easier and boast their ego. People as a whole have become overly centralized.

On a plus side, I have found MANY friendly players on PS2. Which seems to be the opposite on many other games.
    • Up x 1
  19. Talizzar

Ultimately, if you take the best player and give him the worst weapon and put him against an decent player with the best gun the best player will win nearly every time.

Watch some of the feeds on Twitch. Some of the things the really good guys do, I simply cannot at this time. They have a sense about things that I just don't have. They seem to know to look left and see the guy trying to flank etc.
  20. MrPokealot

They have their reasons. I've posted this in a separate thread but its worth mentioning over and over.

Start from 2:12 if you're too lazy to watch the whole thing.