[Suggestion] MAX revives need to come back

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JarredGalaxy, Feb 28, 2024.

1. JarredGalaxy

Apologies about the mess that has unfolded in this post, thank you Mithril.
    • Up x 1
  2. ZORN777

Do developers read suggestions on the forum? Have you seen the self-propelled artillery installation I proposed? Or do I need to have a fight with someone that you would watch? :) (JOKE)
  3. Amador

[IMG]

Defiance in the face of adversity requires proof and factual citation. Here is a historical trend excerpted from PlanetSide 2's very own Class Discussion forums regarding the MAX, which everyone can see for themselves. Those dates go way back, don't they?
  4. Effect

Ignoring that you can find threads like that in every class section going back way back (even for classes that really don't need it). Maxes in their current state don't need buffs an anecdotes from mediocre players aren't going to change the fact that Maxes are performing just fine right now without revives. The only thing Max needs is a straight rework.
  5. JarredGalaxy

And that rework includes bring back revives, additionally the old Charge ability should return but in a partially nerfed state and MAXes should receive better defense against vehicle ramming.

Also maybe not in terms of the class do MAXes need nerfing but the NC MAX in particular does, the Mattock and Hacksaw are both a bit on the OP side with the range of the Mattock along with the spray of the Hacksaw, Mattock should have a higher damage drop off at range and Hacksaw should have an overall damage nerf.
    • Up x 1
  6. Effect

Given that the max in its current state doesn't need revives now, a rework without it is more than possible. All revives do is return the game to a place where killing a max doesn't mean anything because it will be revived the vast majority of the time, which makes fighting against overpop more difficult (something that is already inherently difficult). Rather than a charge ability just bring in a version of the travel mode of PS1, grants the max some mobility but it's not an escape or an engage (at least not a very good one within the Planetside 2 space) tool. Some innate resistance to ramming is perfectly reasonable.
    • Up x 2
  7. Ps2pIayer

yeah im not reading this thread but came across your post

1. This guy is friends with a planetside 2 subreddit moderator who is also PART of their in game outfit, along with another user named "ALandWhale" both go on tirades like he is to you on here, you can just type his name in the subreddit and see it all, you're not the first user to point this out, many have in the subreddit, unfortunately since he's friends with a Mod nothing is done so he can trash talk to anyone he likes.

nothing you say to him will be "right in his eyes" and he even gloats about it in his reddit account bio.

Basically its like giving developer tools and ingame GM status to a player and they will ban/kick you off game just cause they dont "like" you, which is pretty much what the subreddit has become under its new moderation team as well as manipulating suggestion threads.

2. they chain pull ESFS from construction bases, play boat squads greifing on oshur, and he mainly sits in a passenger turret, it all makes sense how he hates infils and maxes, ( i encounter him frequently in game and see what he does )

just thought id let you know.
    • Up x 1
  8. TRspy007

MAX revives should come back. It's meant to be a teamwork unit, and they just cut off the medics role in a MAX push. There were many solutions to fix the MAX, removing revives is the silliest one.

This in fact encourages MAXes to play a more defensive role as they are scared to die and waste 350 nanites. That defeats the whole purpose of a MAX which is to push the front lines and break chokepoints. I would encourage adding revives again, and working on a solution to encourage MAXes to fulfill their role accordingly.
    • Up x 1
  9. Effect

1. This is objectively false, it's remarkable how ignore both you and Picard are about who I'm friends with. All Landwhale and I do is pointing out obviously badly designed things in order to get the game changed for the better.

If you want to be right in my eyes you could start by saying something objectively factual.

2. I chain pull A2A esfs sure, but I've also argued that free ESFs shouldn't exist (hence am Pro nanite costs at construction bases) and that everything that affects nanites (boosts, subscription bonus, discounts) should be phased out of the game so everyone is at 50 at all times. I frequently do everything, not just sit in a turret. Attempting to spread misinformation when it's publically available is a little pathetic.

I was going to ask if you ever stopped being a clown but that question is answered.
  10. Effect

Maxes don't need revives, even in their current state they're incredibly oppressive when the max knows how to play. The only thing revives do is make fighting overpop that's pulled even more unfun because killing a max has no value since they'll be revived.

The only time maxes were used aggressively was when they had a massive population advantage, the rest of the time they were only ever used defensively nothing has changed their other than killing a max actually matters now.
  11. Ps2pIayer

thats funny because i have a message history of all the people youve argued with / trash talked in the subreddit and its no mis information because it can be easily seen just by typing your name, but ok.
  12. Effect

My comment history is public information. There's lots of misinformation you're spreading. I'm not friends with a reddit mod, I play everything not just turrets. You trying to be a weirdo stalker and failing is pointless.
  13. TRspy007

Yeah this is the issue. They should be reworked to encourage offensive tactics, instead of the solo-centric defensive behavior they evolved to be. All removing the revives did was force them to become even more cautious, pulling them further from their role. MAXes were always controversial and had always needed a proper in-depth rework to become suitable for what they were conceived to be, but removing the revives isn't it. It just favors more cringe tactics from people who want their MAX to last long, which doesn't end up punishing them since they'll likely have enough nanites to spawn another once they die, while people who try to use the MAX for what it was meant to be are now punished severely. MAXes are in a very weird state where they are often too squishy to spearhead a push, yet they can easily dominate in certain scenarios. I think bringing back the 5min cooldown would be a good idea, however I'm not entirely sure how we can encourage players to use the class how it was designed to function. One thing for sure, removing revives did not help.
  14. Effect

And the issue is only made worse by reviving existing. Feel free to rework maxes but giving them revives when they're a force multiplier is a bad idea. Removing revives absolutely did help, now killing a max feels like it matters where as before it was literally a waste of time unless you had a significant enough population to bulldoze through the max (which was solved by just pulling more maxes than they had people). The problem you're describing of "maxes are played defensively now" is ignoring that that was always how they were played and reviving made them worse, because they get to play defensively and be reviviable even if they do manage to die. The real problem is that you CANNOT balance max suits in planetside to accommodate the fact that the game has massive disparity in population at various fights, the only way you could balance it properly is by not having it all.

Maxes do not need revives and have never needed revives.
    • Up x 2
  15. JarredGalaxy

MAXes for the most part are in a bad state that some just cant admit, or want to admit cause of their dislike for them. Now I admit I am glad that these annoying NC MAXes stay down when killed but I still prefer MAX revives overall as they are highly vulnerable to weapons such as rocket launchers and anti-armor weapons and AMRs, and some forget about AV grenades and how they can even be a problem.

The MAX of course is intended to be both an offenive and defensive unit, but its offensive capabilities have been cut in half by revive removal and that is a reason why you dont see MAX squads and MAX Galaxy drops much anymore. The MAX needs.

Revives restored
    Nanite price increase
    Small cooldown on pulls
    The Charge ability restored in a nerfed state
    Some better defense against explosives and vehicle ramming
    And the NC MAX needs a couple nerfs

These changes would put the MAX in a better state, the haters can just keep complaining about revives all they want, better to let them be heard with deaf ears and stay salty than giving them an inch and letting them take a foot and then still want more. Cause this game needs to go by what is good for the primary average player base and not these tryhards that think they are the only voice of this game and only they matter and constantly stay miserable cause something don't meet their needs. Imagine what kind of drama will unfold if infiltrators get nerfs.
    • Up x 1
  16. Somentine

Sure, cut it's damage into a quarter of what it can do now and remove sprinting, then you can give them those buffs.

The haters can just keep complaining about no revives all the want, better to let them be heard with deaf ears and stay salty than giving them an inch and letting them take a foot and then still want more.
  17. TRspy007

Yeah this is the one that's most broken right now, you shouldn't be able to instakill people in a 2000hp infantry unit. Normally I have no problem dealing with MAXes, usually with C4 or rockets. But with the NC MAX you get instagibbed before you can detonate the C4, it's quite frustrating. They are way too strong in CQC. I'd favor a rework to make them less powerful up close, but with more consistent damage at longer ranges.

Generally though I'd say the MAX is a bit weak, I've had no problem soloing them as a LA or HA, and the few times I've pulled them I wasn't able to push as much as I would've had I picked my flanker LA or HA. Removing revives was just uncalled for.
  18. JarredGalaxy

The people wanting revives back are not the haters, they are the ones that actually enjoy MAXes and understand their uses and what they were intended for. Wrel has inflicted enough wounds to this game by giving in to the real haters, and now it's time for the real Planetside 2 to come back.

Only MAX needing damage reduced is the NC one, the TR one is relatively balanced aside from the Lockdown not being in the best state, why the VS one and Defector are both questionable but they can get the job done.
    • Up x 1
  19. Somentine

Crazy how the broken mechanic gets nerfed and suddenly anyone that wants to keep the change because it at least moves in the direction of actual balance is a 'hater', while the people crying over losing part of their broken toy are just 'the ones that actually enjoy MAXes and understand their uses and what they were intended for'.

Because he's already been brought up in this thread, and he is 100% for the revive nerf: https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=alandwhale&show=weapons

Would you say this person 'doesn't enjoy MAXes'? Or that this person 'doesn't understand their uses and what they were intended for'?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's all the trash players who can't do **** without broken mechanics giving them extra lives, crying about a balance change?
  20. JarredGalaxy

Using a guy on VS who plays as Heavy Assault most of the time and MAX only being in 5th place at 6% of his class usage, in an outfit that is heavily despised by many for a comparison.. You've proven the validity of your argument in this discussion, yes he has no proper grasp at how MAXes are supposed to work.

Players like him are the ones making MAX gameplay a pain for other players and further proves why revives are necessary. The MAX revive is not a "broken mechanic" when MAXes can be taken down as easily as other common infantry, the revive is all part of the team work and coordination. If you want a MAX dead than you better be sure to takedown the supporting Combat Medic like any smart player would in other combat situations, not that hard. MAX reviving was already decently balanced by not being able to be raised by revive grenades (which are planned for a nerf thankfully) and taking longer to revive than other infantry. Now I will say maybe the MAX should not be raised to full HP by revives, that's something I even thought should have been done before revives were removed.

If you think MAXes being able to be revived was broken that already says a lot about who you are, you're among the ones that getting owned by them and the concept of the MAX possibly getting back up after you done a suicide C4 move on one just puts a real fear in you. The game as a whole from rumble seat repairs removed from vehicles, to the MAX now losing the one thing that kept them combat effective for heavy fights were some of the worst decisions made by "You know who" and deserves better as it was these decisions that made many players quit or stop playing as much and it's time to undo the damage that was done.