[Suggestion] MAX revives need to come back

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JarredGalaxy, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Effect

Pointing out that unskilled players don't understand how to play the game isn't toxic, it's merely an accurate observation. There's nothing wrong with being an extreme casual like yourself, but trying to act like you're some kind of authority on anything when you barely play the game is extremely cringy.
  2. Amador

It appears you didn't actually read the reply, as I had already stated BR25 was the max, that is, when I played during its prime. The signature is a snapshot of the past. Also I had five characters, though the only one you see depicted was my main.

Then it seems you want praise for reaching BR40 circa 2009? When PS1 (2003) was already being vastly overshadowed by Battlefield 2 (2005), Battlefield Bad Company (2008), World of Warcraft; Burning Crusade (2007) & Wrath of the Lich King (2008).

Congratulations then. Most players (including myself) had left PS1 when it had started to smell. Yet you remained past its golden age which had become rotten amidst a declining player population and from its own self-inflicted wound in the aftermath of BFR's.

Though there is a lesson to be learned here... Your presence persists even after a game has fallen to ruin. Coincidence?

False. PlanetSide 1 still had Magriders even back then. --- See? Some jokes write themselves.

Actually... We should all be thankful that VS MAX's no longer fly and it seems no one had ever dared to ask. Clear proof that my nostalgia is more reasonable than other people it seems. You're welcome for my choice to refrain.

Having experienced MAX Units in both games, I can say with 100% certainty that they belong in PlanetSide. As they provide a unique and unusual form of indoor combat which adds flavor to the game. Participating in a MAX crash really got the blood flowing.

The sweetest irony is watching the average player cry about Air-To-Ground, yet too lazy to actually pull a Burster MAX to counter it.

Hmm, actually... Come to think of it... Imagine if players didn't feel as if MAX's were nerfed into obscurity with such limitations, they might actually consider to fulfill a supporting role more often as an Anti-Air or Anti-Vehicle MAX.

Perhaps a player might have even considered to play a MAX regularly to help support their faction?

Imagine that. MAX's revamped away from an Anti-Infantry meat grinder (which every player screeches about the loudest) and more of a redesigned Anti-Aircraft and Anti-Vehicle heavy weapon platform. What a genius idea!

"MAX revives are completely off the table. Even though the details surrounding a full rework hasn't even been ironed out yet. While also blatantly ignoring the presence of MAX revives in-game for the last 20 years."

Do you also immediately consider amputating your foot, simply because you've tied your shoe laces too tight?

Really? Where do you think the lattice system for PlanetSide 2 came from? Because it wasn't there at launch. You can thank the PS1 vets who argued in favor of it, which facilitated a functional front line system. You're welcome for that reality too.
  3. Effect

Dude you literally said "The maximum Battle Rank was BR25, with another 3 levels being offered as prestige during the game's peak under Sony up to its end." Which is objectively false. If you stopped playing several years before the game shutdown maybe don't try to act like some sort expert when you aren't.

No one said anything about wanting praise. You're the one who tried to use your planetside 1 time as some sort of meaningful argument when it isn't. Doesn't help your case that tried it on the exact wrong person. Trying to backtrack after that line of argument was shutdown is very amusing though. Yes simple pay once to play games were more popular than a niche FPS game that needed a subscription (and looked dated before it even released), that's not surprising.

Wow, it's capable of recognizing flaws in the game, shame that only extends to a certain point.

Plenty of people still pull Maxes regularly. I get hit by bursters all the time when I'm trying to do A2A.

Revives are off the table because then it would then be consistent with every other form of nanite costing tool in the game. Maybe try designing a rework that doesn't require revives. If you're even half as smart as you think you are you should be able to do it.

I quite literally stated that Planetside 1 did do somethings right (or at least better than PS2), you even quoted me saying it. The lattice is one of those things that's certainly better than original hex system.
    • Up x 1
  4. Amador

You need to consider the metaphor of the "Boiling Frog" just as I debate the topic in favor of MAX revives.

Do not be mistaken, as there are people among the community who will advance their agenda and bias upon incremental steps, until they are within reasonable distance to argue for the MAX's complete removal. And inevitably, they will try sooner or later.

Citing the origins of the MAX is what validates its purpose and presence in PlanetSide. I don't even regularly play a MAX, yet I wholly support their presence and like what they bring to the table in PlanetSide.
  5. JarredGalaxy

I will go ahead and mention another removed feature just for the heck of getting the nays likely more triggered. I also protested the removal of the MAX Charge, I knew removing it would significantly impact the MAX suit's melee in close quarter fights. Just looking at some of the heavy corridor fights at The Ascent and Nason's Defiance and how MAXes can even get gunned down pretty quick shows the Charge ability was pretty useful and would come in handy for some situations right now. These situations also further show why the revive is necessary.

Now sure I agreed it was a bit busted and needed a nerf either to the distance or require like a charge up before you can start sprinting but it did not need removing.
  6. MaxDamage

Hold up... them's fighting words. I'm a very experienced MAX player, but I don't use them for K/D padding, but as expendable pointbreaking tools generally.

You a ZOE fiend?

Maybe it needs dialing down.
  7. Amador

There's no need to forfeit your principles or capitulate to the reddit army.

The reddit army didn't come here to negotiate a reasonable middle ground compromise for MAX's because they have a shared love and appreciation for PlanetSide and its features. They came here with pitchforks and torches intending rip off any low-hanging fruit the devs would allow them to get away with. To cripple the MAX into obscurity because it threw off their KDR session stats and inconvenienced their playstyle.

Never underestimate the amount of salt in PS2 that leads to the forums. I see the worst trash-talk happening between pilots. I expect animosity in a PvP game. But when its actually weaponized to intentionally cripple or maliciously ruin the game, that's when it's gone too far.

What's happened to the MAX over the years is biased dereliction and overdue for revamp and remedy. Reasonably more necessary than the upcoming Sunderer update.

Did you know that MAX Units in PlanetSide 1 had a "Travel Mode" feature? MAX Units were given the ability to "autorun", which disabled the weapons and took several seconds to enable/disable inertia. Allowed them to stride at surprisingly high speeds - nearly as fast as an ANT, if I recall. Not too shabby for a robot suit.

There's Heavy Assault mains with LMG's, Rocket Launchers, Personal Shield's and First Aid kits running around and laughing as they can literally pull an arsenal out of their pockets. Yet MAX players practically need to hire a hostage negotiator just to get back a feature to their class that was already in the game for 20 consecutive years.
    • Dev's ignored MAX's for the Arsenal update.
    • Dev's ignored MAX's for Combined Arms.
    • Dev's chopped a MAX's Anti-Vehicle ammo capacity roughly in half.
    • Dev's took away MAX sprint.
    • Dev's took away MAX revives.
    • Dev's added Anti-Materiel rifles, adding to the explosive threat against MAX's.
    • Dev's added Rocklet Rifles, adding to the explosive threat against MAX's.
    • Dev's added Thumpers, adding to the explosive threat against MAX's.
    • Dev's added NSO MAX's, who have weapons that are greatly disliked by many NSO players.
    • Dev's added the redundant Berserker Implant that's basically Nanite Auto Repair but functions as a veiled cash grab.
    • Dev's have essentially made it so MAX Units are practically forbidden to leave the security of a nearby building.
    • Orbital Strikes can obliterate MAX's, even through buildings and even while they are located underground.
    • Dev's added Fallout Hardening as a joke, as if MAX's would actually take it and survive 2 pocket Orbital Strikes.
    • A miniscule Flash ATV can still run over and one-shot a MAX, instead of just damaging it slightly.
    • MAX's still can't capture control points, as if that detail rollover from PS1 even matters anymore.
    Just to name a few. But of course with all these drawbacks, clearly we're the ones being "unreasonable" in the eyes of the reddit army.
  8. Effect

Nah with berserker I'm to afraid of taking even more damage due to ZOE, emergency rep/ordnance and berseker/sweeper hud. I only use ZOE for AA (when I'm on VS of course). For VS I use either Quasars or Blueshifts depending on where I'm at, though I do plan on auraxing all the AI max weapons.
  9. Effect

Because you are. Again, if Maxes were weak they would not be used at the sweatiest levels of play, against people you think are cheating. Your personal skill issues are not a reason to buff max suits.
  10. Amador

I said precisely as I intended the first time. Having played PS1 since 2003 to 2008. I experienced it during its prime and amidst its golden years when it actually mattered most. Then moved on to play more noteworthy games as the PS1 population declined.

You however... admittedly recall PS1 during 2009 when BR40 was introduced with controversy. This isn't an accomplishment. This is just a sad tale when Sony finally acted upon its final server merges, last bug fixes and end-of-life "fan service" from 2009 to 2016.

I thankfully had no part in it, with no regrets. And I'm not ashamed for being unawares when the game entered its death throes.

You sound like a used car salesman, trying to convince me a car with 300,000 miles will run as good as when it had 10,000.

Indeed. The easiest way to fix game flaws is to simply switch to the VS faction and make a reddit account. Isn't that already the meta for what all the sweaty try-hards do?

Tell Daybreak to make me a Lead Developer as an actual employee (not a contractor) with full benefits and they actually match a fair market value salary with full creative freedoms for PlanetSide 2. Then I may consider to save the game for them.

Or perhaps you can actually contribute something useful to the MAX discussion. Rather than saying "no" for the 100th time.
  11. MonnyMoony

No they aren't. Galaxies and Libs take no damage from small arms (except AV rifles).

As can vehicles.

Perhaps - but your semantics. You made the distinction between suit slots and vehicle slots.

But maxes suffer this even at slow speed and glancing blows - not just full pelt head on collisions. Also - you highlight exactly the problem. Flashes suffer this from large vehicles like Sundies and ANTs - but not from other flashes. Maxes can be instagibbed by invisible wraith flashes. They can even be road killed by ESFs.
  12. MonnyMoony

Me too. I used max charge in an almost entirely defensive capability to avoid roadkill and C4 cheese. It's removal made Maxes much more vulnerable - again without any compensation.

IMO it should have been reworked. If Max charge in an offensive capacity was truly considered OP - then what they should have done instead of removing it completely, should have been to make it "Max evade" and make weapons inoperable, perhaps with a short cooldown after it's activation. This would have retained the defensive capability whilst make it less OP in an offensive one (if it actually was).
  13. Effect

Yes they are? Taking no damage from small arms and being immune to small arms is literally the same thing. AV rifles (I assume you mean AMRs?) are not viewed as small arms within the game, as they have their own unique damage type.

For all intents and purposes suit slots and defensive slots are effectively the same thing providing either defensive bonuses or additional utility, doubling down on an irrelevant semantics isn't going to magically make maxes infantry when they objectively don't function like infantry in any of the ways that actually matter.

All vehicles can take some damage when they collide with a vehicle of similar size, including flashes. How much damage they take is variable (with the most noticeable factor being speed) and not even remotely consistent due to the games clientside nature. This also applies to trying to run over maxes and infantry, plenty times I've either seen or been the guy being run over and just taken some damage instead of outright dying.
  14. Effect

And you were precisely wrong the first time.

I never claimed it was an accomplishment, merely shutting your irrelevant "my opinion matters because I played PS1 a little bit" argument.

Good for you, no one asked.

And you're an amateur trying to pretend to be a professional when you just aren't.

No, you fix game flaws by finding and addressing issues. Also, VS hasn't been the strongest faction in years (if it ever really was). That's not to say VS has nothing broken or annoying (unstable ammo, lasher, etc) but there's a reason that every single recent semi-competitive event (Outfit wars, Lanesmash,Jaeger 10v10/6v6) within the last several years the most common empire picked by good players (the ones you think are cheating) is NC. The only exception was the recent PIL:R 6v6 that had a rule that if both teams picked NC it would be banned, which it was for the overwhelming majority of matches.

Good thing it's unlikely that DBG will hire someone who was clearly more ignorant than Wrel was.

I have contributed something. Telling a bunch of casuals who barely know how to play the game they're trying to make worse "No" is extremely valuable feedback.
  15. Amador

Most of those flaws were sourced from taking the bad advice from the reddit army, which was his folly. MAX units included.

Thankfully I've simply chosen -not- to listen to the addled reddit posters at all. To think, such a simple choice makes all the difference in Auraxis, thus making me a solid viable candidate by extension. Thank you for the unwitting endorsement.

Good news is the game can now be fixed. --- But perhaps that's why you're here having to do the obstructionist work yourself? After all, reddit has since lost their ace in the hole. Unfortunate for your team, it seems.

The sunrise is upon the horizon at last. Perhaps reverting the MAX changes in their entirety will be good start. Why be modest?

I'll use less words so you can comprehend an otherwise complex topic.

PlanetSide is an MMOFPS in origin. Auraxis' battlefields are shared by novice to expert alike with no matchmaking system. Therefore, PlanetSide has always been best designed when it is centered over a positive experience for the average player. Not the 1% of ultra reddit try-hards who think the world revolves around them - like it had for 7 years under a banner of green.

Times have changed and balance is overdue to be restored for MAX's. Though I am sure you'll be upset about the good news.
  16. Somentine

Why is this constantly repeated? Wrel absolutely despised the PS2 Reddit and the majority of players who posted there.
  17. karlooo

They did? What was the point of reddit anyways? It's heavily filtered by somebody, a mystery individual, on what gets upvoted (hot topic) and what does not. So, often times the trending topics were artificially popular.
  18. Amador

Because if you know, you know. And I agree with karloo. To elaborate any further would give you a glimpse into how outrageously atrocious the circumstances are/were, and how the repercussions are still ongoing to this day which negatively impacts the game.

I'd prefer to stay on topic as much as possible. Consider my refrain as a courtesy, as this thread would otherwise become locked.

Know that I don't care for the fringe toxic playerbase that PlanetSide 2 has, though it must be unavoidably confronted at times. I just want PlanetSide 2 to remain true to its origins and to be as amazing as I remember when it first began.

The flavor of the week appears to be restoring MAX units to their intended purpose - a great topic, actually.
  19. Somentine

It was rhetorical; Reddit has a whole bunch of trash players with even worse takes, but these forums make even Reddit look sane, and the irony of people like you complaining about it isn't lost on me, at least.

PS2 has never been, and never will be, PS1, you need to let it go... as if PS1 was a good FPS game in the first place.
  20. Amador

Perhaps you need brief history lesson then. World War II Online (2001), Neocron (2002), PlanetSide (2003).

These were the first 3 major MMOFPS games to ever come out upon the rise of computers and the internet. This is during a time where most people were still dragging their 80 pound CRT televisions around to have a XBOX and Halo (2001) LAN party with their friends. Other people were still enjoying 4-player GoldenEye and Mario Kart on the venerable Nintendo 64.

You better believe that when gamers saw PlanetSide for the first time with hundreds of players in a monstrous battle using aircraft, tanks and infantry while fighting over a base was absolutely mind-blowing at that time in history. And I was there to be part of that age, and how remarkable it was.

So yes, PlanetSide is a -great game- in the first place. Though age took its toll, understandably.