[Suggestion] MAX revives need to come back

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JarredGalaxy, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Somentine

FPS game. It was garbage as an FPS. PS1 was unique, and had some cool mechanics, but PS1 is almost nothing like PS2, and you need to let it go.

PS2 is BF:BC2/BF3 with a paint job. It was designed from the ground up to be more FPS than anything else.

And even back then, there were far better FPS games; C&C:Renegade, CoD, MoH, Quake, Tribes, HL1 and a whole whack of HL1 mods (notably CS, DoD, TF), Unreal Tournament, BF1942... do I need to keep going?
  2. Amador

There is a vast misunderstanding here.
    • Am I asking to bring back the clunky handling of guns from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the stamina system from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the inventory system from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the dead player tombstones from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the VS MAX to be given jump jets from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the EMP Grenade to disable implants from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the Phantasm stealth transport aircraft from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the TR Prowler tank to be a 3 man crew from PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the Flail ancient tech artillery from Core Combat PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the Battle Frame Robotics mech from Aftershock PS1 to PS2? No.
    • Am I asking to bring back the pajama's you'd wear when you respawned nearly butt-naked from PS1 to PS2? No.
    I am wholly aware that PS1 has a number of quirks that would not bode well in PS2. I am a reasonable person.
    Just because I am nostalgic does not mean I am utterly unhinged. Please refrain from these unfounded assumptions.
  3. Effect

Fun myth, but that's literally never been true.

Ahh yes, pointing out that you're even more ignorant than Wrel is an endorsement, truly a testament to your intelligence.

Pretending that something that never happened has happened is extremely cringe and you should stop.

Probably because reverting that Max changes is a terrible idea that would negatively impact game quality.

Irrelevant, bad and stupid players like yourselves don't deserve to have overtuned weapons just because they're bad and stupid. Your inability to learn how to play Max despite it being as powerful as it is is a skill issue and is simply not a relevant argument for giving them unnecessary buffs.

Times have changed, that's why Maxes finally got a well deserved nerf after years of completely ruining small fights and underpop attacks/defenses. Now they're only partially ruining because now it matters if a Max dies.
  4. Amador

As you can see from the post above, this is merely a single example of PlanetSide's remaining toxic playerbase.
    Not a single drop of optimism left. Nothing constructive to add. Maliciously obstructionist to the core. Fueled by confrontation.
    To think for 7 years a Lead Developer heeded counsel from their ilk. There was never a path to appease the most volatile fringe players.

My point is vindicated.

Daybreak had better learn - If not PlanetSide's rumored new owners.
    • Up x 1
  5. Effect

Hilariously revisionist history as a result of you constantly getting shut down because you don't have an actual argument.
  6. Somentine

The fact that you could add
    • Am I asking to bring back the MAX revives from PS1 to PS2? No.
    to your list, without it being out of place, should be enough to tell anyone how bad the argument is.

You're asking for a return of mechanics that are overpowered, simply because they existed in PS1, while ignoring the very obvious differences of PS2.
  7. Amador

This has already been answered three days ago with the facts outlined. Though, I grow tired of having to concisely repeat myself. Likely because the recipients of such discussions have already long since closed their minds and made their decisions.

Perhaps they believe repeated attempts will improve their results?

... But I suppose I'll humor it anyways, with a quote.

The former Lead Developer already caused enough damage. This is what happens when you fail to grasp PlanetSide's origins.
    • The former Lead Developer deliberately ignored MAX Units for 7 years during his time.
    • When the Arsenal update came, he did nothing for MAX units.
    • When the Combined Arms update came, he did nothing for MAX units.
    • When he felt compelled to do so, he edged MAX Units ever closer to obscurity by crippling their ability.
    • And upon his last days he threw a 20 year old game feature out the window, simply due to his bias and contempt.
    • Like a spoiled child thrashing about, toppling shelves and wreaking collateral mayhem as he were dragged out of the toy store.
    • It's bad enough this had happened. It's worse that some players actually continue to support this delusion.
    In the wake of the former Lead Developer's departure, he also left us a much larger dilemma - being the dysfunctional state of Oshur which is now worse than previously. The entire PlanetSide 2 community is reasonably justified to their grievances. Yet no matter how much the remaining developers address the topic, they concede it will not be fixed with ease anytime soon. Terrible news.

... Yet there are misguided people whom are part of the "no" crowd that claim I am mistaken. Although they hope to maintain their biased contempt alongside the former deposed Lead Developer, however this only comes at the expense and detriment of the game which has already dragged on for 7 years in a critical state.

I will not suffer another 7 years of this incompetence.

My thoughts on the topic are quite lucid, quite thorough, quite valid and quite vindicated.
  8. AuricStarSand

All you Max guy's. I get their's Max mains.
    & ye they seem ignored.
    Max's should have 2 ability slots by now. That aren't average.
    Esp since PS1 max's had jetpacks. Not that PS2 max's need jetpacks.
    Max's got 1 new weapon around Arsenal. They def missing some spec options.

Still not as ignored as Knife main's.
    We don't even get a spec for melee; stalkers infils more of a pistol spec.
    I have to wait months to play Hermes, without being made to play VS.
    & Even Hermes isn't a specific designed cloak for Knifers;
    it's for SMG'er; which I also play; still these are 2 diff playstyles.

& zero good Infil asp skills. 2 grenade accesses I don't want,
    since I don't play Infil to throw grenades. HA is for grenades.

I only list these 4 since the main's of these 4 have similar pop #'s:

1) Knifer's & Melee
    2) Max's
    3) Harassers
    4) Valkyries

As for the most underrated mains people play.
    One guy I saw named himself "IMainTheWorstVehicleOfTheGame"
    he was a harasser main.

I told him, "I'm a harasser main too". he said, " sorry. "
  9. Somentine

• Maxes have seen buffs and nerfs, directly and indirectly, over the years. Older notable changes were in 2019.
    • Arsenal buffed every non-explosive MAX weapon by 20% damage.
    • CAI did change some MAX weapon damage types, and it also changed the suit slots and a couple of implants. AMRs were also slightly nerfed.
    • Nerfing overpowered mechanics != crippling their ability, which is proven time and time again, through stats, experience, and what little competitive scene is still available: Lane Smash and Outfit Wars.
    And no, MAXes have had complaints about them since launch, it isn't 'suddenly a problem', and it isn't some strawman 'Heavy Assault Reddit player' only complaining either.
  10. Amador

Ah yes, that reminds me of the day Power Knives were suddenly nerfed...

Even amidst the heinous acts of violence caused by the infamous AlbatrossofTime, I cannot recall a single person who felt that Power Knives needed to be nerfed. Just about every person I spoke with said that the change left them scratching their heads. Yet further proof of how biased and detached the former Lead Developer was from PlanetSide 2.

But as per usual, the lessons from PS1 were lost on PS2 once more... What helped balance Power Knives in PS1 is that they were also obnoxiously loud by design. PS2 failed to adequately incorporate this, as it seemed that the TR Ripper was distinctly louder than the NC Carver or the VS Lumine Edge. A simple issue which could've been addressed with some audio adjustments.

As a sidenote... I might even point out that the original Sony dev's incorrectly flipped the names of the knives from PS1 to PS2. If only someone fixed that discrepancy at some point between launch day and the present...

The lament of the harasser players... A topic I am reminded of from time to time. I sympathize with their loss of enjoyment.
  11. Effect

They're not though. Your "argument" boils down to "I don't know how to keep my Max alive so I need a handicap". Again, if Maxes we're weak they would see zero usage with in the competitive events they're allowed in (Outfit Wars and Lanesmash).
  12. Amador

I've already stated that MAX Anti-Infantry weapons should have their damage dropped.

As an example, reduced around 3-4 tiers with flatline damage. This damage reduction will allow an HP pool and/or durability increase. Again, to make them act like "Tanks" and more comfortably make pushes as that is their role - to break stalemates.

And as a passing musing I had the other day, perhaps the dev's should also look into the concept of a "Repair Source Maximum". As in... To make it so that perhaps no more than 1-2 Engineers can repair a MAX at a time. Anything more than that simply goes to waste.

These are just the most topical of considerations as the dev's have not yet shown any interest to address the issue at this time.

CAI was a limp-wristed attempt. The deposed Lead Developer poked the topic with a stick and you believe it was an earnest effort?

As for AMR's... They were originally created to give players a way to harass/defeat a gathering of Anti-Aircraft MAX Units that used to camp high up on Biolab Airpads. This tactic has fallen out of practice, as aircraft have long since been nerfed, leaving only the most seasoned or tenacious of pilots in the sky.

The AMR was a highly niche remedy to a problem that has depreciated. The average Engineer playing "tank sniper" during current content must be one of the most bored players this game has ever created.

I've said this once, and I shall say it again with further emphasis. Extremes and exceptions are not the norm.

And I absolutely abhor Outfit Wars. Because Outfit Wars equals wasted time and effort. Every time Outfit Wars takes place, it absorbs more time and effort which could have otherwise been spent to develop a bug fix/update/content/expansion for PS2.

Outfit Wars is an utter disgrace to this game, and has only sown drama that's self-destructive to the community.

Wish to know why it's still a "problem"? Because the dev's never actually put any work into a real MAX Unit revamp. It's been a topic that's always been kicked to the side.

You know what's the most ironic thing? The dev's are currently working on the Sunderer update over MAX Units from what we see. Yet again, the can is kicked further down the road - just as it was for the last 7 years thanks to a former Lead Developer.

By now the dev's should've learned that ignoring the problem doesn't fix the problem. And so here we are...
  13. Amador

Wrong again. How embarrassing...
  14. Somentine

That's nice. If they ever rework MAXes, then revival could make a possible return... but until that time, bringing back a broken mechanic to MAXes, who are not under-performing in any metric, is a terrible idea.

CAI was bad, but it was bad for everyone. You said MAXes got nothing out of it, which isn't true.

AMRs were not originally created to specifically kill AA MAXes, and certainly not in that niche situation. This is what they were created for, and I quote exactly: "The Archer anti-material rifle was developed by Nanite Systems to counter the heavily armored MAX, providing an effective option at range for dealing with the unique threat of the exo-suits." - Patch notes June 17, 2015.

Unless you have some proof that they created the AMR for that niche situation, you need to stop repeated your headcanon.

Except in this case, I'm talking about people playing TO WIN. They aren't playing to fk around. They aren't playing to shoot the **** while capping some irrelevant bases on a dying game, they are playing against relatively equally skilled players and using mechanics that give them any advantage they can; MAXes being used AND being key deciding factors in this environment is exactly indicative of the strength of the mechanic. If MAXes were so 'crippled', they would never have been pulled in the first place, as they would have been a liability.

And regardless, they still perform perfectly fine on live servers, proven, once again, by experience and stats.

Because it has been an over-performing mechanic for a long time. It needs a rework, but until it gets it, it does not need any buffs whatsoever.
    • Up x 1
  15. Effect

Great. Because if you don't even use it, you certainly don't have enough experience to understand the strengths or weaknesses of it. (But really the two statements are not actually mutually exclusive, so my point still stands)
  16. Amador

If I leave a bag of garbage on your doorstep, did I give you a gift?

The Archer AMR's weapon description that you've cited appears to perfectly apply to the scenario which I had already outlined.

Picture pulling a MAX Unit and waddling around with 50lbs of weights tied around your ankles and surrounded by a bunch of expert Heavy Assault/Light Assault players who want to snap-shot a Decimator at your face or throw a brick your feet. All while being trailed by an Engineer who's now obligated to be your baby sitter and essentially unarmed while holding a repair tool.

This is what is called "calculated risk".

Then perhaps you should simply join us in advocating the dev's to perform a MAX rework, which is otherwise far overdue.
  17. Somentine

Increasing the survivabilty of an already strong mechanic is a buff, regardless of how ignorant players view it.

Your claim for it being created as a response to a ridiculous niche, headcannon situation is just straight up wrong. It was created to deal with MAXes, because MAXes, as a whole, were broken AF.

Literally what is your point? Did you misread or misquote something? This is your response to me telling you the top players are using MAXes in a competitive setting with success.

I would, if there weren't far more pressing issues than a mechanic that is still doing fine. MAXes are still being used in competitive settings. MAXes are still being used on live servers. MAXes are still putting up good KDRs and KPMs.
    • Up x 1
  18. OneShadowWarrior

It was overkill taking away revives. They could have done things like give medics an ammo pool with there medical tool and they have limited revives and either have to reload or go get more juice. Obviously maxes would take longer and eat more of the ammo pool limiting revives.
  19. Mithril Community Manager

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Just chiming in to remind everyone of the forum rules. If you disagree with someone then disagree and move on. No instigating or fighting on the forums please. Thank you.
  20. Amador

On the contrary, ye rapscallion. The tyrant wit' banner o' green hath been toppled. Mine chalice o' Mountain Dew quaffs all the finer.