[Suggestion] Make the game subscription based

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Roarboar, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Forumguy2

If they subed this game there would only be a need for 1 server, most agree this game isn't even finished or close to it, subing would cut the pop down by 90%
  2. Dasmasterneko

I never said it was a better model but you have no idea where the idea of subscription fees even comes from do you?
  3. Triclops

I'm not saying make the game subcription based, although I opt'd for the station pass. But If you can not afford 15.00$ a month you need to spend less time playing games and more time making money.. just saying.. And dont give me any crap about dis abled people. I have a friend who has no full time job and all he does is buy and sell off ebay/craigslist and has a steady income that sometimes is more than mine.

Kids these days want everything for free.
  4. ScrapyardBob

I've seen more then that. The big advantage of PS2 is that it's "big". Which makes it fairly easy to move away from a known hacker location and chase after certs and cap points elsewhere. Unlike most FPS games where it's 20 players and a dog inside a shoebox.
  5. Savvon

Me, my outfit and my long list of friends are the 90%.

We are not going anywhere.
  6. smokemaker

You would willingly pay 69.00 a month!?!?
    So a years worth of game time 828.oo bucks!
    Are u insane?
  7. H0urg1ass

If you can't afford say, ten bucks a month, then you probably have no business sitting around playing a video game in the first place.

That's just my harsh reality check of the day. HTFU.
  8. TheScapegoat

Really simple solution.

Once you contribute funds to this game in the form of SC or Subscription, your account is flagged to transfer to access special non F2P servers that only contain other paying members.

You still have your F2P model, but you offer a premium experience for those who wish to participate.
  9. smokemaker

bla bla bla.... none of this is going to happen... the game is made.
  10. Flarestar

It really doesn't, except in the short run. The F2P model has very poor sustained income, which is why quite a few companies that have relied solely on cash shops (Zynga in particular comes to mind) are now crippled financially. It has a huge spike when a game first comes out, then the revenue stream dries up very quickly without constantly introducing new items/boosts/whatever into the cash shop that are clearly better than previously available options. Which, in the MMO world, means you'll bleed players at a faster than normal rate for an MMO due to it being blatantly obvious that the company is just milking them.

The other alternative is having other revenue streams tied into the game - League of Legends is a good example of this. Riot makes a *ton* of money from the eSport aspect of the game.

It's why F2P MMOs die. An MMO going F2P is basically announcing the end of its active development - Champions Online is the only one that's ever really kept up substantial dev post-F2P and even their new content rate was cut to a third of what it was previously. SOE did it right in their other MMOs - as much as people *****ed about the hybrid F2P model they use, basically it encourages players heavily to subscribe without completely crippling them if they don't. Subs = sustainable, predictable funding = you can actually plan out development = better, more frequent content.

Edit - to clarify, I'm not agreeing that PS2 should go sub only. This game is far, far too shallow, buggy, and underdeveloped to survive as a sub-based game.
  11. SharpVelocity

This is the most balanced idea to implement, simple invoke and 500SC account flag(As is has had 500sc flow through it at any point), and cut off new continents to those that don't have the flag.

At the moment with the non existent meta game this won't be possible as player attrition might require potential new continents just to keep everyone entertained, but again if they did that it would only be a short term solution.
  12. forkyar

um there is no way it will be 100% hacker free regardless of if was subcription fee based,your reaching for the stars on this one and you wont make it.
  13. TheScapegoat

No but the threat of losing all paid accounts associated with a cheating account will reduce the numbers. This is a huge game so having a couple people hacking can be lived with, however masses of script kiddies running the aimbot FOTM will cause problems.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

It must be such a grand existence in that mind of yours, filled with such wondrous things. Do unicorns and dragons exist as well, within this pseudo world of which you've constructed? Did you give yourself a nifty hate, perhaps similar to that of the pope?

In reality, however, the actual 90% of the community would drop the game...especially when it originated as a FTP. While I understand that your perception upon such may be tainted by those rose colored glasses that you're trying to make look stylish, people typically frown upon being given something for free...only to have that revoked at a later point in time.
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

So Guildwars 2 is doomed to fail, in your opinion?
  16. siiix

in my case easy, i build computer my self little by little and i sometimes have to wait for USED parts months so i can afford it... so eventually my computer becomes good enough... but $15 a month would be a drain on my finances... also i usually only upgrade if get lucky with something and get some extra cash (gift, job, sell something on ebay)

i work 70 hours a MONTH thats about $735... my rent is $450 my phone is $25.. thats $260 left for food and maybe good forbid alcohol or even cheap drugs... so thats less then $10 a day i can spend of food and and anythings else

and if its snowing or raining its an extra $5 to get to work because i cant use my ebike

not every one is rich
  17. Metran

Fix't.
  18. Iizee

Yeah and how would you deal with all the people who were claimed as hackers but weren't in reality? "Eh, that's how law sometimes works"?

I don't need to worry about a feature like this ever happening, but sure as hell would be funny if you got jacked off by 250 bucks because a hacker hacked into your system and inserted a hack there which you didn't notice. And then it happens another time. And another. Until you give up on playing any of these games online because you fear so much. See, getting into someones computer isn't all that hard, it's usually just not worthwhile. But I'm sure that hackers would be happy to intrude into anyones system who actually supported the dumbest idea ever.

Think twice before you post.

Oh and by the way - anti-cheating programs can false flag you. They're just as human as you are. Okay, maybe less human than YOU exactly, but you get my point.
  19. Crywalker

Having an experience with an aimbot today, I can feel where you're coming from. Still, I'm only playing it because it's F2P. I might pay a very small amount of sub, but this wouldn't be a game I'd spend WoW sub money on. Could just play Battlefield for a similar experience, for a one time fee, and without the pay to win aspect.

I'd pay a one time fee for PS2 though, if it made it much easier/faster to unlock things. Takes way too long currently.
  20. Iizee

QFT.