Make players interested to defend HIVEs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DobryiPupok, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Liquifier

I think the ability to build certain infantry / tank items from cortium would be a benefit. Maybe allow for a main battle tank or regular tank to load up on some sort of active cortium protective shield or something of that sort. Bases should be used for engineering items not just to distress other players or cause a continent to lock up. It should be fun building a base with other player involvement maybe its my way of seeing it but this has much more potential. I have all the base items on all factions but getting a small squad together to help me build is near impossible, I usually have to recruit for 15-20 minutes before I even have someone remotely interested in base building.
  2. DrostenVS

Why not just make HIVE bases with cores create lattice links between the friendly territory they are built within and a nearby enemy territory?

The links could even create bridges between territories that aren't normally connected through the lattice system. Would just have to add a warning to the map when a core is being built and add a timer delay (also visible on map) before the link becomes live.

On an entirely different note, I miss the towers from the original PlanetSide.
    • Up x 1
  3. DobryiPupok

Taemien,
    Highlighted "your" is a total misunderstanding VP system. If I see, that someone's base is under attack, I want to defend it because that base works on MY victory, and no matter who built it. That's why I want that players of my fraction build as many HIVEs as passible.
  4. DobryiPupok

Halkesh,
    Usually I build bases which resistent to attacks, and there is a time to help come. 1-2 player just can't destroy it even if nobody defends it, usually needed 1-2 squards or platoon (if galaxy drop) . Of course armor zerg will destroy base faster, but any way there is a time to help come.
  5. Azawarau

Guard duty is almost entirely what i do in game already so defending hives seems like my style

Semi afk a bit shoot some people destroy invading vehicles scout the area hack the Vanu Archives.....
  6. Taemien

I'm a 100% in agreement here. But you have to realize that the number of people who care about VP's is rather low.
  7. guerrillaman

Buy AI modules and all the turrets and you'll love making hives.
  8. Imp C Bravo

This may sound crazy -- but bases don't get much action because they are usually out of the way and poorly equipped.

The one suggestion to have a buildable spawn room (with terminals!) is good!

I think that there should be a proximity requirement and spawn requirement. You can't activate a core unless there is a spawn room. You can't activate a core unless you are in a hex that is either connected to an enemy hex or is within 2 lattice jumps or something along those lines. Not being able to build bases at your warpgate or 9 hexes behind enemy lines would make even randoms finding themselves spawning at player bases just on pure proximity of spawn location to the lemming fight!

That may be crazy though...
  9. Mefi

1. Everyone builds bases inside their own territory now, sitting there is boring. When they were built next to enemy warpgates, that was more entertaining.
    2. Until they add Reinforcements Module, you practically forced to sit there and wait for enemies because otherwise there is high chance that you will not be able to spawn there once enemies try to attack it, or you can just easily miss that moment completely.

Well, and personally, I haven't found playermade bases fun to attack, and oftenly not exactly fun to defend, unless they placed in important places where enemies forced to attack them (e.g. at ex Broken Arch).

Edit:
    Oh, and btw I hate how poorly Cortium is distributed on the map, trying to build something is a massive PITA.
  10. Jex =TE=

This so much however, there could be another alternative - build the base between your most frontline base and the enemies - an example would be Esamir where there's that big bridge between 2 bases - stick it right there IN THE ENEMIES FACE!!! LOL
  11. Jex =TE=

Poorly equipped because the cost of the other decent things to put in is sky high. If game devs want something to be used that's new, don't price it so high people just say "stuff it"
  12. Daigons

If players were a little more proactive with their open field game play, the Ants wouldn't never be able to harvest the cortium in the first place.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. Halkesh

I've nothing against resistant base, that's a part of the concept of construction system. The problem is attacker have no stuff specialized anti-construction stuff.
    I'm speaking about building a siege workshop with corium.

PS : There is a button "reply" to prevent writing (quote)(/quote) balise. ;)
  14. Devilllike

There are plenty of players with different interests and moods no content will reach the 100% of the players thats beyond obvious
  15. kr47er

Truly there is people that doesnt need xp, but if the 90% of the people goes there because of it, the other 10 % will also be there. lets put it this way. when you log in where do you go, to a 12-24 fight or to a +96 one? even if you dont need certs, you will join the big battle just for fun.the problem i see here is how to move big battles to constructed bases that are supposed to be behind the enemy lines. i just dont expect a bunch of 100 people crossing the continent to get to a base where as you say, a fight MIGHT happen. what we need here is some quick way to a faction to reach an active core, no matter if it attacks or defends. also we need to provide some sort of bonification for fighting there.(well, actually there is a hive proximity bonus exp but seems to me like preety useless.) actually just the defenders have a bonification, and tbh i dont care if it gives me 1 vp, i dont care about capping the continent, i dont care about %50 priced vehicles. just want to battle. actually i think this terrain dominion system breaks the game. this system is the reason of most of the zergs,massive vehicle seatdowns, core constructions in the middle of nowhere so no one goes...
  16. kr47er

the problemm is the turrets. its ridiculous, you can place limitless turrets, no one will come near. i think the solution its not giving attackers more power, instead, since with the next patch all shielded structures will be invulnerable, i think the solution is just remove turrets, so its easier to infantry and vehicles to came near and have any sort of fight. i think that the main idea here is fighting INSIDE the constructed facility, then if attackers win, blow the hive. not camping the base at +300m with a prowler and thats all.
    also you got the point on the reward: i cant understand how if we capture a facitlity, everyone in the base gets 1-4 certs ( which is pretty low reward in my opinion), but destroying a fully defended hive just will give 1-2 certs and just to the person who deals last shot...
  17. Taemien

They are getting constructable beacons in the form of reinforcement request. In addition they are getting constructable spawns. That shoudl solve the issues of knowing what bases need people, and how to get them there.

It doesn't solve people wanting to be there. You can solve that yourself though. That's what I've been trying to explain. Stop grasping at straws for a moment and think about this for a moment.

Have you ever considered why people don't login and beeline to the bases their allies have constructed? I've seen excuses.. like:

1. Build next to the enemy warpgate far away. The point of a HIVE is to build it as close as possible. The person building there is NOT in error for doing so.

2. There's no spawn there. Usually there is, in the form of a sundy. But even still you can't simply redeploy to it. You do have to fly over. That's not that hard. People can't be bothered.

Those are the excuses of course. But why are they making excuses? well they're either ignorant and think they are real reasons (unlikely, I don't believe players are that naive). Or its because they are guarding their real reasons:

1. They don't like player made bases. Some resist change. Some like the old lattice system. You're not changing these players from this. Leave them alone. Leave them be. Everyone has their preference.

2. They don't like defending undefendable bases. Good reasoning. Why waste nanites getting somewhere only to be blown to hell and back?

3. They don't want to defend someone else's base. A little selfish but reasonable. Maybe they spent DBC and certs on base stuff of their own they want to make use of.

4. They just want to get a good fight somewhere and just play the game Somewhat related to number one. Some players only login for an hour or two at a time. Player made bases take time to build. And when they are built. Its not gauranteed it will be attacked. You also don't know when the attack will happen if at all. If someone has an hour a to play. And it takes 10 minutes to find and start building, another 10 to finish it. He's got 30-40 minutes left. If the enemy doesn't strike for a bit. THat's alot of time wasted.

As you can see increasing rewards has NOTHING to do with bases. In fact I get the most certs and exp out of defending bases. I really do. Its crazy how much the cert gain can be from those things. I don't think this is a secret either. So its not the reason why some avoid them.

Its usually time issue, activity issue, or a preference. You can't affect any of those.

Well you do have one way. And I've said it Numerous times. Form a Squad or Platoon around building. There ARE players who wish to do these bases. They're like me, they don't want to try to do it with ungrouped randoms. We want coordination, but above all, commitment. We want to know that everyone there is there for the base. Not just by happenstance.

Try it. Make an open squad and platoon about base building. You'll get people to join. If you did this on Connery, I'd join it if I wasn't with my outfit doing it. And even if that's the case we'd take ya, chances are we'd have an open platoon of our own.

I promise you people want to do this. But you have to take charge and make the group happen. They'll join you.
  18. Pinkpuff

This so much. I take out ANTS at every given opportunity unless they're base camo/secondary in which they're probably noobs just looking for certs.

I think most people irrationally avoid a set of two 2/2 Harassers. They make short work of ANTS in the field, and they're everywhere.
  19. Taemien

So you're expecting random PUGs. Who just want to login and shoot at things. To risk taking 20 minutes of their time, which could be as little as an hour of play for many. To go look for ANTs in the open field that may or may not be there.

What do you tell those people who do this and found nothing. And have nothing to show for it except for a third or half of their designated play time for the night being wasted? "Congrats, you did your part!"?

Everyone who logs in, plays the way they want to play. While there is consequences for every action in a PVP game. One should not be judged by their playstyle. They should own it, and not complain that bases are overly stocked, I will say that. But you do not have the leisure to tell them that its their fault when you yourself and a friends could have easily done it yourself.

Don't worry about what others do. Do what you do.

Everyone has the solutions to their own problems in their own hands. It takes gumption, courage, and personal responsibility to see it and to take action upon it. We don't need devs to fix the problems we cause through our own actions, inactions, or attitude.
    • Up x 1
  20. PlanetBound

Not true. I take a turret with me and destroy bases. Naturally it only works if nobody is defending.