Make players interested to defend HIVEs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DobryiPupok, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DobryiPupok

Now the players are not interested to stay at HIVEs and defend it, coz there are no fun, no action, no certs, they get nothing at HIVEs, except boring waiting for something. Now there are a small quantity of initiators, who interested in building, they are doing it in 1-2 persons and defending bases in 1-2 persons too. And often bases are stays empty, coz nobody interested to be there.

In this situation the bases mast be more resistent to attacks, they must be not so easy destroyable, so the builders work was not wasted so easy. If your efforts in HIVE building are disapear easy at one moment you want not to work at next time.
  2. Eternaloptimist

I may be joining the wrong team but so far attacking constructed bases is a nightmare for me. Do they really need to be more defensible? For sure, quite a few of my own that I've visited have been empty but only because there were no attackers far enough behind the lines or willing to assault them.
  3. Partl

Maybe staying in the Area around the HIVE could give some passive xp? Just like the defending Bonus at VictoryPoints.
    This would lead to 2 things (mby more)

- Players would see a benefit in staying near the base, not feeling like they are missing out some income while waiting for a fight
    - With more players inside of a PlayerMadeBase, more enemies would be attracted to "farm" these people, making a PMB a viable Target

Sure, this mechanic could get exploited, but the benefits...
  4. VAHU

I have mixed feelings about this.

More people defending HIVES = Less people pushing for lattice = Faction loses territory = Less room to build HIVES = No happy faction
    • Up x 1
  5. ChickenPotPie

Most people do not want to defend them because they either lack a sundy in the area or because it ends up being assaulted by vehicles from afar. Personally I only defend them if we are winning the continent and its down to the wire (aka 1 or 2 more refines could win it for us)
    • Up x 1
  6. Daigons

It's so much more fun hunting down opposing ANTs in order to starve their bases out.
    • Up x 1
  7. Taemien

Guard duty sucks. There's no way to make it fun. Its why in RL we pay people to do it. And I don't believe any amount of cert reward will get people to want to defend hives. Because as much as people like to make their cert numbers go up. They want to play the game.

Sitting in a base that someone ELSE made with the idea that the enemy might come, at some point. Isn't appealing. There's no way to make it appealing. You're effectively trying to make something like laundry or mopping floors fun in its own sake. Can't be done.

What you need to do, is find a group who likes to build bases and run with them. This way the entire group takes ownership of the base's building process and is united in a common goal to defend. Thats the only way to get players interested.

Bases aren't lone wolf content. They were never intended to be. When you build a base, you want coordinated players to help you. You don't want the random lonewolf zergling anyway. They're just going to get your hive blown up anyway.
    • Up x 2
  8. Maulkin

The one thing that turns me off from defending a base is if I get there and discover the core was deployed into a base that has practically no defenses at all. THere was a case when someone was screaming in regional chat for people to come defend his core and he had almost nothing there. Some people have serious narcissistic issues.
  9. DeadlyOmen

Defending HIVEs are fun when they're in spots that will attract attention.

Sticking a HIVE way back in the middle of no-where isn't going to get much action...both pro or con.
    • Up x 1
  10. kr47er

x1.5 exp near a hive.
    constructible spawnrooms accessibles from any point so anyone can come to defend the base and same to the attackers, an infiltrator could sneak near to the constructed base, place the spawnpoint, and there we go.
  11. Taemien

If it was 5x, 10x, or even 100x people still wouldn't go there. Remember, many don't even need exp. So you're telling those players to drop an active fight (the reason they are online) to play soldier at a base with guard duty. Where a fight MIGHT happen.

The issue is solvable by the player who places the core. Don't do it without a preformed group. This is a MMO, and construction bases IS group level content.
  12. zaspacer

Agreed.

I proposed a HIVE bonus system a while back that would encourage HIVES being placed in heavy traffic areas. Instead of their current being placed specifically in the middle of nowhere, because it's safer for the defender and because the bonus system encourages it.

Agreed.

More people defending HIVES is less people actually out playing the base capture game. It's hard to capture territory if your Faction is tied up doing guard duty. And if lots of people are hunkered down in player-made bases, then it disperses the Continent Pop, and you lose having the big pop fights.

1) having players defend HIVES disperses the population and reduces the number of players in each fight.
    2) the player-made bases for HIVES are being placed (and the current HIVE bonus system encourages to be placed) far from the standard Player traffic. Not only are these bases *not* being built to support combat in the high Traffic areas, but they are a pain for players to get to and interact with.
    3) being able to spawn at a player-made base is unreliable, so many people don't bother. Bases don't have access to Vehicle Terminals, which limits what Allies can do. Players are notified when an enemy base is growing, but they aren't notified when an ally base is being attacked.
    4) bases seem to be mostly something for actively organized players to make and build up, and for average players to either tinker with or more often just ignore or deal with if they come across it. Interacting with constructed pieces or bases that are part of the standard battle flow traffic is interesting and engaging; traveling to some remote area with no traffic, no gameplay options, and little to no Terminal options is not interesting and engaging.
    5) player-made bases (building and using) seem more for active organized groups. Many of the rest of us don't really feel included and don't bother with them.
  13. PlanetBound

Starving the base doesn't really work out when the silo has thousands of cortium.
  14. JobiWan

I haven't seen a good player made base fight for weeks. The last few nights especially, construction seems to be mostly ignored by the majority and it's just old-style base fights. This is on Miller.
  15. ChickenPotPie

Might be because people build it too close to their own warpgate or build it in some far end of the continent that no one cares to go look. Behavior I seen is one or two liberators will go look at a base, if it doesnt have air shield they will blow it to high heck from orbit but other than that, if its not in a good place (both for assaulting it or defending it) no one will bother.

I think the biggest fight I seen was when NC held those two bridges on Indar with walls and such and stopped a TR assault... that was fun XD
  16. DobryiPupok

I found that reinforcements module is coming soon, it must fix situation and help to defend bases.

Also needed to add to the HIVE icon some alert sign, which will highlight in case of attack, so the all players fraction could see that HIVE is under attack.
  17. guerrillaman

There is a small bonus xp for staying near hives currently for repair/kills/etc. Its just negligible.
  18. Taemien

Building a base and expecting PUGs to defend it for you is like tagging a world boss in a MMORPG and expecting everyone around you to help DPS it down.

It won't happen.

You have to form a group (squad/platoon) around building a HIVE and then you will have peeps there to defend. Without a vested interest (aka not helping in the build process). A random PUG won't go to your base. It has nothing to do with getting there. Any random dude can pull a ESF, Gal, or Valk and fly at ceiling to your base if they wanted to.

But they don't want to defend YOUR base. They want to kill something. Bases don't provide that sort of entertainment those players want. They want to drop in, left click people to death and logout. That's it. Assaulting a lattice is a sure fire means of getting their kicks off. Your base is not.

As I said before. If they handed out 10x, 100x, or even 1000x the exp no one would show.

They'd have to be so ridiculous with the rewards that it would destroy the intent of the bases in the first place. In order to get randoms to join in.

You'd have to award 50-100 certs per kill to get people to do bases. But then you'd have enemy hives within the same area (as close as the limits allow) and then people intentionally farming one another. TKing people who go for the enemy base or sundy.

Is that what you all want? That's effectively what you're asking for when wishing for rewards to be increased to entice players to do bases.

Its now rewards that prevent people from wishing to do bases. It isn't 'their' base to defend. That's why they don't bother.

Treat this like you would group content in other MMOs. Get a group and go do it together.
  19. Halkesh

What's the point to attack construction when you have low reward for it and you know capping a 96+ bio lab full of NC MAXes is easier ?
    That's why people attack construction only as zerg and to prevent a continent lock.

Add specialized anti-contruction tools powerful enough to excpect a fair fight as attacker.
    What about spawning siege rammer, trojan horses or anti-construction bombs with corium ?

If constructed base where easier to attack, people will attack it more.

Or you can build your base on a road (like the on between Hvar tech plant and Quartz ridge on Indar) you'll be sure enemy will attack.
  20. xxx-reaper

You have to make people motivated in attacking bases. I am constantly on the prowl defending bases. But bases are rarely under attack so it gets boring and then bases just lose because they get overrun with tanks.