[Suggestion] Magrider needs some attention

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BorgUK1of9, Mar 6, 2015.

1. LodeTria

It's armour should be bought up to the vanguards level at least. This would also leave TR with the least durable, but strongest tank.
  2. lothbrook

Every tank has its strongest positions, Vanguards prefer to engage upclose, magriders at medium range, and prowlers at long range in lockdown. Stop whining and learn how to use your tank.
    • Up x 2
  3. Jake the Dog

As someone who has played all the tanks they are very balanced and only OP when played to their strengths. Anyone who tells me X tank is OP they tried to beat the other tank in its niche or have improperly certed their vehicle.

Another thing is as a tanker I'm surprised that more people dont use camo more... It actually does help lol.

Prowler
    -Stealth Prowler- Use vulcan and AP (Close range brawls)
    -Nanite rep Prowler- Use Halberd and AP (For mid-long fights)

Prowler Positives:
    Fast
    Agile
    Damage per second
    Lock-down (Great for ambushes, artillery or smashing zergs fast)

Negatives:
    Lacks effective long range topguns like the other ES tanks
    Lock-down takes awhile to set up and to get moving again meaning if someone gets the jump on you you're dead.

Vanguard
    -Stealth/Nanites/Side Armor with Enforcer and AP
    Side Armor is sometimes neglected on the vanguard it however gives the vanguard a ridiculous amount of armor on its side. (more so than the front armor had you applied frontal armor by I believe 2-3%)

Positives:
    High Armor (essentially more HP than the other tanks)
    Packs a high Alpha.
    One shots ESFs
    Shield give 8s of extra HP allowing it to tank a bit more.

Negatives:
    Terribad manueverability
    Slow
    Shield has a 45s cooldown

Magrider
    -Stealth/Nanites AP/Saron Tbh, the saron is my favorite top gun by far and believe it outclasses all anti-vehicle weapons.
    Saron and how to use it. The saron has ZERO drop which i recently have figured out and is absolutely easy at annihilating enemies at range.
    (also magrider last time I checked has the same armor values as the prowler so don't argue its got less armor)

Ive only recently begun my venture with the VS, rolling with another experienced tanker, we've learned quite a bit about the vehicle. If there are any other experienced mag drivers that have more effective means of stuff to cert into let me know. But I have spent ALOT of time in the other tanks auraxing one, and my vanguard isnt aurax'd because I switched over to TR before the whole directive updates, however having logged recently it really hasnt changed all that much.

Positives:
    Maneuverable- You can straight up dodge tank shells at mid-long range
    Excellent at traversing terrain getting where the other tanks can't.
    Saron- Hands down best top gun can be used as a sniper to take down any vehicle and fires as fast as you want it too. Slow taps for long range. rapid for close. While your opponent, vanguard/prowler has to range in on you (same with the main gunner of the magrider) the saron can immediate start dishing out damage to the target with precision. Offsetting any lack of dps.
    No recoil on the main gun- this is a HUGE plus for me

Negatives:
    If you're fighting several enemies and get surrounded its harder to engage all targets without the rear facing one,
    Main cannon has the least damage. offset by the fact that if you're a good driver you will never miss, ever.
    Has more bullet drop on main gun, both a positive and a negative technically as Ive seen that some people use it to arc shots over hills that the vanguard/prowler couldn't.

The magrider is a unique vehicle and takes a bit longer to get a hang of compared to vanguard/prowler which follows conventional tank logic.
    • Up x 2
  4. Fleech

in the hands of someone that doesn't understand it strengths or abilites.

i would argue its the strongest, terrain depending.
    • Up x 5
  5. vanu123

The other tanks are as strong if not stronger at mid range.
  6. Alarox

Do you use Rival?
    • Up x 1
  7. vanu123

No you can't dodge shells, you can fake out the enemy driver, but you can't dodge shells within 250m. Moving across terrain is all fine but once you get into one of those infamous magrider only spots you're a sitting duck for any air or c4 fairies or enemy tanks that are not directly in front of you. Halberd/Vulcan are the best top guns followed by the enforcer and saron. Enforcer is slightly better due to it doing more damage, more splash, great on infantry, etc. None of the mags offset its horific DPS. The saron, while it has no bullet drop, has miserable DPS at range. The halberd is a much better option if you're going for long distance targets/infantry.
    Also you left out how the mag is the slowest tank.
    • Up x 1
  8. ShineOut

The mag is fine as it is. The only thing I dislike is getting insta gibbed by a stealth vulcan cause cleary I suck.

Other than that it's like an interceptor, attack when the time is right and get out of there like your life depended on it. In the process killing close to or every tank in the way. And if there are hills you're like a god and can trick a tank to fall into your trap.

Like I remember yesterday me and my gunner went on a 1 - 2 hour streak, killing " everything ". Nothing stood in our way and we always got out in the blink of an eye thanks to stealth. We also out played mostly everyone even the esf. But of course this was just me being aggressive catering to my play style. We died from a vanguard that got lucky with his shield but other than that the mag is great.

The mag isn't a tank, it's better than one.
  9. DashRendar

All good except the Vanguard shield actually only lasts 6 seconds. I know you didn't mention this, but during the MBT balance patch, the health of the shield got reduced from 3000 to 2000. Just thought I'd mention that to add it to your post.
  10. ColonelChingles

Actually the NC are the most likely to use Lightnings instead of MBTs. At least if the data from September 2014 is still good.

So it looks like the VS like their Magriders about the same as Lightnings, whereas the NC significantly prefer their Lightnings over Vanguards. That's because most NC tankers know that the Vanguard is pretty poor in getting kills and isn't even that survivable... so we opt for Lightnings instead.

The TR on the other hand are the only ones who spend more time in MBTs than Lightnings, and that's probably because the Prowler gets the speed/profile advantages of the Lightning while having the DPS advantages of a MBT.
  11. Arsonix

Actually if you checked the weapon metrics you will find that NC just pulls more Vipers and Skygaurds. Vipers come as no surprise since NC gets the highest traffic of new players and the Viper is part of the starter loadout. Skygaurds are a bit more surprising but I can see the appeal of having a chain gun tank when all your tank weapons are either canons or shotguns.

Really there isn't a massive difference in the amount pulled between all the factions anymore. So what you are left with is VS pulling the least MBTs by a wide margin and a standard number of Lightings not too different from TR of NC. What you are left with is the VS looking like the least mechanized faction of the three. Not complaining though.
    http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=uniques&weapon1=3100&weapon2=3101&weapon3=3102
  12. Mxiter

Magriders are fine; not because of it's weapon or speed, but because how the whole platform works:

average KPH: it kills moderately fast despite it's low main gun DPS thanks to better hill climbing and positioning abilities wich is 80% tankers job since NO TANKS survive in the open and all have to use terrain to stay alive.

Best KPU: it kills the most at each life (i average); thanks to it's strafing abilities wich reduce drastically it's virtual hitbox and magburn that gives it offensive abulity, but can also save it from bad situations.On the top of that, it's also almost immunite to every infantries weapons but lock ons or laser guided rockets.

Overall, no need to complain and learn to use your strengths.
    • Up x 1
  13. asmodraxus

Put it like this, harasser is better at tanking than the Mag, as it has the speed and maneuverability to exit the area, repair and return.

My mags tend to just die.
  14. DashRendar

The Harasser is a joke currently, my Van eats them alive from any range. What sort of upgrades do you have for your Mag?
    • Up x 2
  15. axiom537

There is more to it then the statistical values, as many of us have tried to explain to you, but you persist in being willfully ignorant. Yes the Mag on paper has lower stats in speed, armor, damage, DPS etc etc, NO ONE is arguing that. Even with those lower values the magrider consistently outscores the other MBT in a variety of categories, AND no it is not superior skill in VS players. That is because the Magrider has unique attributes that are not able to be listed on a spread sheet and it is those attributes, that make the magrider over all the top scoring MBT's. The Diamond Shape, Hovering, its strafing ability make it an extremely agile and difficult vehicle to hit. It is these attributes, that are not going to be found on a spreadsheet that give the magrider its strength. I am not complaining about its shape, I am trying to explain, that it's shape contributes to its success and yes the same can be said of the lightening, its low profile, gives it an advantage, that isn't going to show up in a spread sheet.

It is already over all the top scoring MBT, giving it a buff would only make it OP in comparison to the other MBT's.
    • Up x 3
  16. QuakerOatsMan

Why is there so much need to exaggerate the magrider's shortcomings? If it were really as bad as you guys say it is, then it'd be losing every single fight, VS would be steamrolled whenever it's armor vs armor, and no one would be pulling magriders. It's like you guys won't be happy until it has the vanguard's DPH and +1 shot armor, and has the prowler's anchor mode velocity and completely neckbreaking +5-10 kph forward speed advantage.

The absolute worst that the magrider's "lowest damage main cannon" can do is one less shot to kill—a TTK gap which is easily closed with a secondary AV gunner. The only problem any player should be having with the drop are those who don't know how to compensate with the sights, but even the drop/velocity problem will be null if the proposed velocity buff goes through.
  17. ColonelChingles

My measurement was by play-hours, not uniques. As you pointed out, if you look at uniques all that tells you is the number of users... but can't really explain what those people are using those vehicles for. Hence I opted for play-hours, because that tells you how long people spend in tanks (and supposedly if they're actually using them for combat instead of taxis).

The other problem is population differences. The NC are the most populated, so of course they ought to have the most tanks pulled. This is why my statistics looked at ratios of tanks instead of total numbers of tanks... it controls for population differences.

If I was going to update my numbers for the last month...

Play-hours
    Magrider- 787.9
    VS Lightning- 939.9
    Magrider:Lightning ratio- 1:1.19

Vanguard- 882.7
    NC Lightning- 1,026.0
    Vanguard:Lightning ratio- 1:1.16

Prowler- 934.6
    TR Lightning- 873.0
    Prowler:Lightning ratio- 1.07:1

So it seems now that the VS do use Lightnings more than Magriders... though the difference between them and the NC is fairly slight (much less than it was when I last did the numbers). The TR still are the only faction to use more MBTs than Lightnings.
  18. Fleech

again, terrain depending the mag has a huge advantage at mid range. it peak shots better than any other tank, so using cover correctly at mid range makes the mag a huge pain in the *** to hit reliably.
  19. vanu123

It is nothing but VS pilots knowing the weaknesses of the magrider and minimizing those weaknesses. The shape has nothing to do with it and has a minimal impact if any at all. Hovering isn't an advantage since it gets you flipped more than not. Strafing doesn't make it any more difficult to hit than any other vehicle since every other vehicle can peak in and out of cover faster. It's UP and should be more like a tank and less like a slower lightning with slightly more armor, bigger hitbox, and less DPS.
    • Up x 1
  20. vanu123

They aren't steamrolled just because the average VS mag pilot is exceptionally better than the average NC/TR prowler/Vanguard driver. 1 shot is the difference between life and death and if that distance were so minimal then give the mag that one shot to make it equal.