Lovely slideshow I'm getting.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 29, 2013.

1. BlackDove

Oh, the person who uses broken(demonstrated to be broken by multiple independent tests, by various frame rating methodologies like FCAT) Crossfire and thinks he knows something about computers. Just the person to back someone like him up LOL.

Well, while his hardware is obviously more powerful than mine, apparently he has it configured so poorly that he gets 5fps more than my inferior garbage.

Hmmm... Did I ever once brag about my computer?

No, I simply said it ran fine with PhysX enabled before GU9(though GU4 did break it too).

Disabling PhysX has stopped most of the crashing, for a lot of people who were using it fine before GU9, but started getting the slideshow then crash error I'm talking about. If you check the forum, you might have noticed all the other PhysX crash and Planetside2 constantly crashing(on good PC's as well) threads? Oblivious or something?

Given the number of people with computers better than yours and his having the issue with PhysX, its not a matter of computing power. Even after disabling PhysX, we all manage to get weird lag spikes that seem to be server-side and the occasional Planetside2.exe has stopped working. And before you say it, no I didn't build their machines and **** them up. The people in my outfit live all over the world.

Your reading comprehension really sucks by the way. If you bothered to read(you must have, if you know the CPU and GPU I have), then why would you tell me to disable PhysX, when I clearly stated, several times, that disabling PhysX has stopped the slideshow then crash for all of the people I play with?

You know, the guys with the SLI 680's, and overclocked i5-3570K's, 3770K's. I guess those computers are trash too? Nothing to brag about and unable to run the game with PhysX because they're not powerful enough?

I've got a new video for you to watch that might make it even clearer how broken Crossfire is.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/PCPer-Live-Frame-Rating-and-FCAT-Your-Questions-Answered-0 (yes that horrible red line is the frametime variance of CF). LOL enjoy, and thanks for contributing to the thread!
    • Up x 1
  2. spmokc73

Lmao, just have to get my daily dose of these comments...for some reason this guy is the only one ripping peoples hardware but claims everyone is beating on him, cracks me up.
  3. BlackDove

Six days after you were "done with this thread" you're still posting in it? Interesting.
  4. spmokc73

oooooooooooooo, I hope "all your friends" your linking this to still respect me, lmao.
  5. Fortoom

SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT WHOSE COMPUTER IS BETTER. YOU'RE BOTH PATHETIC NOW GET OVER IT.
    I am trying to find solutions and read about the experiences of other people dealing with this issue. Not listen to a couple dbags post replies with their pants around their ankles and a box of kleenex nearby.

I have been running 314.22 for a while - no crashes, no problems. In fact, I've never had crash issues ever in this game, and I first started playing in November. Recently, I switched to 301.42 due to another game having issues. I had a couple minor issues with PS2 at first with these, but only when I first installed them. Now that I stopped playing the other game, I switched back to 314.22 today, right after the game update. I did a clean install through the nvidia package launcher.

Within 30 minutes of playing, I experienced a crash as described by the OP here:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...fter-gu10-with-sounds-continuing-help.131867/

After I restarted the game, within 15 minutes I began getting the slideshow effect as well. I thought it might be the server (Waterson), so I logged onto my char on Mattherson. Within 10 minutes the slideshow came back. I'm going to wait it out and see if we can get a response or hotfix in place. If not, I'll start playing around with the different solutions suggested.
  6. BlackDove

That comment doesn't really even make sense, but ok. Continue posting in a thread you said you were done with six days ago if you want. You haven't really proved anything except that you're completely clueless.
  7. BlackDove

Do you have PhysX on? It seems to be broken since GU9. I upgraded to the 320.18 drivers the day they came out, and reverted back to 314.22 because they seemed unstable.

Of course, I'm sure your computer is just garbage compared to YoXn and spmokc73, like mine is, but try disabling PhysX and you should be fine.
  8. spmokc73

Ok, Ill make this easy for you...Im not done with it now, disregard previous post. o_O

and...314.22 is the most recent stable driver for most Fortoom.
  9. Fortoom

Thanks for the reply. PhysX has always been on, and the game just started crapping out after this update. I read some people started seeing problems with it after GU09. Maybe I had issues too but not severe enough to make me deal with it. Since I came back to the game in March I've had terminal access delays all the time. Also, the map takes a few seconds to load. Never had this issue in November.

I saw the notice about the 320.18 drivers but decided to hold off since they were new. I'm trying a solution suggested by a CSR quoted in the thread I linked. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm disabling PhysX.

Oh, and my computer isn't garbage. It is not on par with a high end machine, but that doesn't mean it is garbage. That is what annoyed me most about this thread. Such snobbery and spoiled attitudes about the machines people own. The world isn't black and white where if you don't have the best it must be garbage.
  10. BlackDove

Oh good, you can continue to educate us with your vast intellect. You might want to try harder to make your threads on topic after the fact though. He and I both clearly stated that we're using the 314.22 drivers already. Although it could be that he has a garbage 580.

The slideshow then crash is the same symptom that everyone I know who has the PhysX related crash has described as well, countless times.

I'm assuming that you've been running PhysX crash free since GU9/10.
  11. BlackDove

My comment about your computer being garbage is related to something YoXn , spmokc73 and XRIST0 have been discussing with me in my thread here. I have an i5 with a GTX660Ti and it's a complete POS according to those geniuses. Manages to run this, and every other game I play on max settings at 1920x1080 though. Hmmm.

Anyway, post back in here if turning off PhysX fixes it for you. I suspect it will, since it fixed it for virtually everyone I know with the issue(and one of them has dual 580's).

The map taking a few seconds to load is interesting, and possibly related to the other map screen/2D screen bugs. Might want to check your temperatures there. I have my 660Ti at 80% power target to prevent it from loading fully on the 2D menus(lol 2D menu is the most graphically intensive thing in PS2).

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...lso-spikes-gpu-temps-wtf.125209/#post-1716886

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/map-screen-still-makes-temps-spike.123225/

I'm not the only one either:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/98-gpu-load-character-selection-screen.61234/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...t-character-select-with-2-x-7850-cards.61697/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-temp-increases-after-last-update.117410/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/character-select-ingame-gpu-temp-issues.50024/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/gpu-burns.90196/ "My gtx 580 likes to run hot whenever there is nothing on the screen. Map, loading, warpgate, looking a wall and such and such. It doesnt run nearly as hot during fights however."

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...e-gpu-loading-and-cant-disable-shadows.65684/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/beware-of-99-gpu-load-while-idle.54532/ (cycles mchurtz responded interestingly in that)
  12. Fortoom

Just followed the steps here and there was a noticeable difference in improvement, but I don't have the time to play a session now and see if it is stable.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...h-sounds-continuing-help.131867/#post-1820999

Btw, I have a 460M. Call it what you will, but if you think it is garbage, I pity you.

Edit: Just saw your reply BlackDove. Thank you again for investing your time to help. I will follow-up and let you know how it works out for me, and yeah, the other guy was clearly the instigator. Just don't stoop to his level; its not worth it. Just feel sorry that this is how he sees the world around him and that he derives satisfaction from having more than others. How pathetic.
  13. spmokc73

I haven't said any hardware in this thread is pathetic or garbage only some is more capable of running ultra and PhysX currently, blackdove just likes to cry. Still have a 580 in my other rig with "just" a 965...ok stuff just oddly turn settings down on it.
  14. BlackDove

My "garbage" comment is actually directed at YoXn, XRIST0 and spmokc73, not you. They were being condescending because they think their computers are superior, despite YoXn's inability to post a picture of his probably fictional 780's, XRIST0 using Crossfire and pretending it works, and spmokc73 getting 5fps more than me with 4.5GHz i5 and a Titan.

Anyway, I thought you were the guy in the other thread with a 580. I really don't care at all what kind of computer anyone uses. I would just try playing with PhysX off, even though the game looks terrible.

Edit: just saw your edit. Yes, I'd ignore them, but it's too much fun to read their idiotic and hubristic responses. spmokc73 said he was done with this thread six days ago, and he's still posting in it LOL.
  15. XRIST0

TLDR :D

I just love to throw it at you like you throw it at me .

PhysX seems bugged at the moment , just disable it .. it honestly doesnt look much different .

If that doesn't help , try reverting your drivers ?

I know quite alot about computers dude , your logic makes no sense . I chose AMD cards because they were the cheapest option at the time , best bang for buck cards .. I really couldnt afford 2 x 580's back in 2010 when i put this machine together ..

Quite frankly they have done a great job for me over the past 3 years and they still work like champs never had an issue .

Please stop being biased dude , its getting old .

I spend alot of time putting my pc together , believe me im just like you with this sort of thing .

http://cdn.overclock.net/6/68/68e41470_IMG_1172.jpeg
  16. Luewen

Another person that just dont get it.
    Most of those things you mentioned are run on GPU. PS2 performance is pretty much as good as your cpu can handle and GPU only helping. IT doesnt matter if you have 4 x gtx titans on quad sli if you have ****** cpu. Also FYI, there is physics...

And also if your computer is pushed to ~13% usage, there is something wrong at your end. MY I7-2600 is common running around 35% usage per core and gtx 570 at 85 to 95% usage.
  17. BlackDove

Using the stable 314.22's. PhysX is bugged, and I disabled it like a week ago. I have to disagree with the assertion that it doesn't look much different. The bullet effects, rocks flying everywhere, and explosions are awesome. The elevator effects are not what I like the PhysX for, despite the fact that they're basically all people show in their videos.

What logic of mine makes no sense? The whole framerating(using frame capture hardware to measure the actual frames being displayed and analyze them) is not something I invented. Old Nvidia SLI setups had the same kind of issues, and people just started calling it "microstutter". In reality, it's frametime variance as a result of a lack of frame metering: alternating frames that stay on the screen for a long time, and then some that are either dropped entirely, partially displayed or displayed for half the time of the previous frame. The dropped and runt frames cause a Crossfire setup to give less effective FPS than a single card.

The whole issue has changed the way graphics cards are reviewed entirely. Knowledgeable reviewers don't use Fraps to do their benchmarks anymore. They use a separate computer, with a special capture card that takes a DVI input, directly records to PCI-E SSD's and then they analyze the raw output files using FCAT software.

That's where those graphs come from, and that's where the argument comes from. Up until their "prototype driver" which was actually a modified very old driver, AMD had no frame metering at all. Nvidia solved the issue with the release of the GK104, which does hardware level frametime metering. AMD has attempted to fix the problem with the new driver, adding some frametime metering in software. It improves it, but doesn't get it anywhere close to what SLI, since its done on a hardware level.

That word "biased" gets thrown around way too much. It's not like I'm arbitrarily being negative about AMD and positive about Nvidia. Empirical evidence shows that AMD's multi-GPU is broken. It also shows that Nvidia's works just fine. Pretending that a product works when it clearly doesn't is being biased. Pretending that it's just fine for a company to release a $1000 GPU(7990 which is always in CF) that doesn't work as advertised is being biased.

I think pretending like there's no problem is a disservice to fellow PC builders, which is why I'm glad the people who developed and use FCAT are making so many people notice that AMD is attempting a fix. I can't imagine many 7990's sold after their benchmarks on all the respectable review sites. People say "oh the 7990 is more powerful than a 690!" Yeah, if you're not using it for games, AMD multi-GPU is fine(though power hungry). However, I think most people buy the Radeon and Geforce to play videogames on.

I know you're not an idiot or something, though a bunch of people sure treat me like one on this forum, and I'm happy to return it to them, as it's amusing to listen to people like YoXn and spmokc73 who are clearly clueless. However, I'd be pissed at AMD, not at the people who demonstrated that CrossFire is a huge ripoff.

Back to my thread's issue. The slideshow is gone. Now the crash to desktop just makes PS2 disappear from the screen with no warning. Apparently, a lot of people who don't have $2 computers like mine, are having this issue as well, ever since GU9 and now GU10. The game looks great now. I have everything on Ultra, but PhysX has to stay off again.
  18. XRIST0

Next time i buy gfx cards they will definatly be Nvidia , there is no doubt about it .. you live and you learn , and honestly i understand 100% what you are saying about the frame rating issue but i dont think its as bad as what they make it out to be .

In every game i have played , for instance battlefield 3 .. When i used to play on ultra settings i would get 30ish fps , with crossfire i got 60+ .. the difference was night and day , literally exactly double the performance of a single card . I really struggle to understand though how you can call Crossfire "useless" because its really not man , that is a bald statement .

Thats saying that the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who have spent money on dual amd cards are blind and cannot see the increase in performance they are getting .. its plain as day , in every game or benchmark .

We will see how much it improves when these new prototype drivers come out anyway , they are due this month .
  19. BlackDove

If you look through the graphs, you're not constantly getting worse fps than a single card, even though you are getting higher frametime variance. The amount of frametime variance actually varies itself, over time, depending on the load to the CPU and GPU. So, it's not a waste of money all the time, just most of the time, in most games.

Some people are making the argument that the increased framerate equals "increased performance" even if half the frames are runts or drops. That argument doesn't really make sense though.

High framerate is useless if the frames are being delivered at consistent intervals. Imagine trying to watch a movie or TV where the frames were displayed for all different lengths of time on the screen. That's the effect that CrossFire basically has, and CHEF on here who switched from two 6000 series AMD cards to a single 660Ti even said he noticed it after he took one card out.

I don't think the consumers who bought those setups and got screwed because they believed the marketing are to blame. When that happens though, they should be happy that the issue was discovered, and if they're gonna be pissed at anyone, be pissed at the manufacturer that sold them defective goods.
  20. Alchonis

I don't get it?
    Did you read my post?

It uses 100% of 1 core which is something like 12.73% of my CPU in total.

Stop defending this game man, please stop it! you are not impressing anyone.
    Smaller teams with lower budgets can make game engines which use multiple cores and use them well.

The game engine simply cannot use enough power for what it wants to do, it is like this because it is badly programmed.
    The only thing that will change this is a massive engine update in which they allow the engine to make use of multiple cores and threads so it can use the power it needs to run smoothly.

My CPU can handle a damn sight more than PS2 if it were only down to that not the way this game is programmed then id but at 60+ fps constantly.
    I cant understand why you cannot see this, if what you say were true then how would all this information get from the server to your computer and back again? because the lowest bandwidth at any point in the process is from the internet connection.

No one would be able to even run this game if that were true.

Oh and the physics really? you mean the same physics that makes a harraser or flash roll when they hit a pebble? or the same physics that makes you lose all control of a tank or sunderer when you try to turn going uphill? you think that ******* annoying as hell sliding down the hill sideways is good physics?

Its no wonder SOE thinks nothing is wrong, they get feedback from people like you and even THEY start believing their own ********.