Lovely slideshow I'm getting.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BlackDove, May 29, 2013.

1. BlackDove

And then a crash to desktop. This is GU4 all over again.
    • Up x 4
  2. ALeviathan

Games never ran better. Don't know what ya on about?
  3. BlackDove

Get close to a base: slideshow, then Planetside2.exe has stopped working.
    • Up x 2
  4. BlackDove

I get 60fps, which is what my Vsync is, if there aren't many people around, no matter the graphical complexity, everything is maxed out, ultra textures, high quality texture filtering, shadows and flora are also on high. Nothing lags until you get near a huge zerg usually.

However, what I'm talking about now is going from my 60Hz Vsync fps to less than one fps, just because I enter a specific region. This happened to me(and a lot of other people) in GU4 as well.

After the slideshow, it just crashes to desktop. Considering I haven't changed anything with my configuration since it worked, I'm guessing their stupid 40MB patch broke something. I tried validating, and nothing fixes it. It's probably a combination of factors, but my hardware being cheap or not powerful enough is not one of them.

There isn't that much of a difference between an i5-2320 and any other i5 either, other than the clock speed and an unlocked multiplier for a K series. DDR3 1333 isn't that much slower than DDR3 12600 either. And even at 80% power target(to prevent 100% TDP from PS2's power virus menu's) the game is CPU limited on Ultra for me, so I'm pretty sure that the hardware is good enough, and it's set up properly in my configuration.

Let me make that extra clear. The game is CPU limited on my configuration, and since it doesn't even use real AA, it's pretty easy for even an underclocked 660Ti to run on Ultra.

LOL at you saying "at least 15fps". I am usually at my Vsync or in the 50's.
    • Up x 1
  5. spmokc73

Pretty sure that little detail is a big difference all by itself....
    :rolleyes:
  6. BlackDove

The basic architecture of the chip is much more important than a few hundred MHz, in most cases. It explains things like, how an AMD 8 core CPU can be outperformed by an Intel 4 core.

It's pretty poor optimization that this game can only make use of 50% of my "inferior" i5's capabilities anyway.
    • Up x 2
  7. spmokc73

Im not getting a slide show or crash to desktop problems with my "few hundred MHz" extra....must be a coincidence.
  8. BlackDove

Well, if you could read, you'd notice that I typically get close to my 60Hz Vsync, which is between 50-60fps, dropping to the 30's in a huge zerg, but it plays smoothly and doesn't glitch. It just gets a lower framerate, which is fine, because I have Adaptive Vsync on, so it drops smoothly, rather than halving it.

This issue is not normal lag, or fps drop, but an issue where it goes to less than one frame per second, then Planetside2.exe has stopped working. The issue started with GU9.

Now, stop deluding yourself into thinking your unlocked multiplier CPU is somehow a new supercomputer that's 10x the performance of a standard Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU. The performance delta would be approximately the % you overclocked it, and that's only for the work the CPU is actually doing, ignoring the RAM and GPU's contribution to the application's performance.

Considering the performance I normally get(running it on Ultra with PhysX, max shadows and flora just fine), this likely has nothing to do with the actual CPU's clock speed, but some BS that got broken in the GU like it did before. After GU4, they released a patch that fixed it again, and it worked fine... until now.

Well, I shouldn't really say "just fine", because of the map screen GPU loading glitch that tons of people are getting, and the rest of the weird glitches that people constantly post all over the forum, like no damage, desync, warping, etc.
    • Up x 1
  9. spmokc73

Well, since we are both using the same version of PS2 GU9 there genius, what difference do you think is making mine magically run without the issues you are having? Logic may be lost on you by the tone of your post, but it is something on your end, I do not have some special release software on my end.
  10. BlackDove

What do you think is wrong with people who have even more powerful computers than you, having the same issues that I do? What quirk is it in the software that leads to these crashes and slideshow's across many different types of hardware?
    • Up x 1
  11. BlackDove

Well, disabling PhysX after it had been working fine for months seems to have fixed it... Great, now the game can look like trash again.
    • Up x 1
  12. SwordMaster314

OH OH BLACKDOVE I CAN HELP YOU. Ok so have you updated the your Nvidia driver to the newest driver? (320 something) If so, that is your problem. So apparently the Phys X software for the newest driver causes Planetside 2 to crash often. I can't find the exact thread but one solution that people found was to revert the driver back to 314 or to only revert the Phys X software.

Edit: Ah here's the post https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...t-update-to-320-18-possible-crash-fix.128931/
  13. XOLiD

Makes me lol when people argue about their computers like they're dick sizes or something.
  14. BlackDove

Already reverted back to the stable 314.22. PhysX worked beautifully for months, and now my game looks almost as bad as the poor suckers who use AMD trash cards. Man this game looks terrible without PhysX in it, even on Ultra! The effects are 2D sprites that look like they're from 1995 with PhysX off.
  15. SwordMaster314

Welcome to the life of a GTX 660M user. All those stupid planetside 2 maxed out settings youtube videos make me fell jealous.
  16. spmokc73

Don't really see that issue popping up, mostly when it does its from sli/crossfire settings which have issues in more games than this and the reason a lot of people opt for the most powerful single gpu in their budget. The "quirk" is you think you should be able to run higher settings than you can and it bogs down your system. Were you one of the "I had it set to 5's in my ini file and it ran great"?...that wasn't ultra, now that ultra settings work when you try it, it slows down your pc. Drop your settings or upgrade...that is the issue.
  17. BlackDove

LOL, if you bothered to read(and it's apparent you don't by the nature of your comments), you'd see that I was playing crash free last night, because I disabled PhysX again...

No, I have nothing tweaked in the .ini file except for maxfps to avoid the 2D menu GPU load glitch... That wasn't me mistaking one value for Ultra that wasn't, so please get your facts correct.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...-easy-way-to-get-better-looking-ultra.128838/

I'm the guy who made that thread, detailing how to get Ultra to look good, since by default the post-processing AA that the ForgeLight engine uses in PS2 blurs things, with the default filtering settings in the Nvidia control panel.

I don't try to run anything at settings that I can't run well. I run everything I play maxed out at 1920x1080, just fine. PhysX getting broken by an update again, after months of it working just fine on the highest settings(including Ultra textures and High Quality texture filtering etc.) should logically indicate to you that the hardware I'm using is not the issue. It's not like I downgraded the hardware, or they upgraded the graphics.

It works just fine now that I've disabled PhysX, but the game looks terrible without it.

Now, as for you telling me to turn my settings down or upgrade, let's examine how stupid that is. You have a higher clocked CPU, of basically the same architecture(Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are within 15% per clock), and you have a single Titan(almost exactly 2x my 660Ti's FLOPS and memory bandwidth) running 3 1920x1080 monitors.

If you do the math, you'll see that your setup is more heavily loaded that mine can possibly, since I'm only running one high quality 1920x1080 monitor, while you're trying to run three(typical more is better mentality).

So you're trying to run things at 3x the resolution that I do, with 2x the GPU and maybe 40% better CPU performance, given your overclock.

And you think I am attempting to run the game beyond what my hardware is capable of, and then talk to me about logic? Ok... Drop your settings or upgrade then?
  18. spmokc73

Triple screens does not run properly on PS2 currently, not being used...only 1920x1080....do your math again and get back to me. Yes, you are running higher settings than your system can currently with this game. You are terribly simple in thought thinking someone would not realize triple monitors demand more than a single monitor, but good try pumping your own ego there. :eek:
  19. BlackDove

Ok, so you've got 3 screens, and you're using one at 1920x1080 with a Titan and an overclocked i5-3570K, and you get 5-10 FPS more than me in a large battle?

Wow... I'd say you don't have your "awesome" hardware set up properly, or something. I'm assuming you're always CPU limited with 4.5 TFLOPS vs my 2.4TFLOPS for the GPU?

Either you don't have it set up worth a ****, or it just confirms exactly what I've been saying about your i5-3570K not being the supercomputer you think it is, since the quad core LGA1155 Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's are not that far apart in terms of actual performance(your memory bandwidth is 25% better than mine at best, for example).

On Ultra with texture filtering on High Quality, LOD bias clamped, and all of the in game settings maxed out it runs very well on my system, only dropping to lower fps than my 60Hz Vsync when I am CPU limited by large amounts of people, as I've said before. I have also stopped getting the slideshow then crash to desktop after I disabled PhysX, so why exactly do I need to lower my settings?
  20. Entomorph

Mom! Dad! Stop all this fighting! I can't take it anymore!
    • Up x 1