LA sound on test server ... rise up brothers

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MarlboroMan-E, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Vikarius

This is just fixing something that should have been fixed before launch, so they finally got around to it, if you are used to your class having a broken function that is your own fault, adapt or fail. Jetpacks = / = Stealth. Jetpacks = mobility

Now, hopefully they can get around to fixing the broke-back cloaking sound and or removing it. Cloak = Stealth
    Noise = / = Stealth
    • Up x 3
  2. Pikeman84

If the main mechanic of a class was so broken, you would think they would have at least mentioned it in the past 6+ months this game has existed. It was never "broken". The thing is, having the ability to attack from different angles is pointless when the enemy can easily detect what angle you're approaching from. Makes it no different than if you had used the front door. And If you're doing that, you're better of with a different class. The LA class is a stealth class. They outflank, they suprise people, they circumvent obstacles. That requires stealth to be effective.
    • Up x 2
  3. Ibuprofen

To be honest, I agree completely, and I am another person who mains infiltrator and thinks that the JP should be louder, but not this much louder, and it should be changed during the LA revamp, not right now. My personal thoughts on the matter are that the JP should either have an explosive sounding start sound and engine whine/wind-down end sound that is similarly audible to the cloak sound, or it should have a constant sound at around the same level as a tank idle, but it should be a very distinctive sound. It definitely doesn't need to have both.

All that being said, having noise added to the JP doesn't make it useless for flanking, it just means you have to pay more attention to the path you take to the enemy so that you can move into a flanking position without having to use your JP/cloak close enough that it gives you away. I never cloak when I am close to someone if I can help it because it's tactically stupid. I see no reason that using the jetpack shouldn't be the same.

The JP allows LAs to circumvent natural barriers that every single other class has to respect. As an infiltrator, in order to flank someone on the 3rd floor of a tower, I have to run though 3 levels, up 2 flights of stairs, right next to the enemy spawn and capture point. My cloak lasts just long enough for that, but there is a huge amount of exposure by being forced to run in such close quarters because it's so easy to see a cloaked infil from that close. As an LA, you can shortcut past all of that exposure. Right now, you can do it completely silently, and take a shotgun with you to boot. There are similar, highly exposed paths/choke points that only LAs can circumvent for most large outposts and all major facilities. In order to infiltrate/flank, an infiltrator has to blitz straight through one of those areas cloaked and hope for the best, often having no choice but to run within 5m of multiple enemies, hug enemy tanks for cover while you watch the cloak charge fall, etc. All an LA has to do is get to a point 30-50 meters further along the wall which is relatively unpopulated, hop over, and he's effectively behind the enemy force. If he uses a flash with scout radar to scout his point of entry, he can see for sure whether any enemies are around and virtually guarantee that he can hop over unmolested.
  4. Ibuprofen

Actually, doing this:
    Only requires this:
    LAs are the only class which can circumvent natural barriers that every other class has to respect. Just jump over a wall 30-40m away, and then approach the enemy from behind without spamming the noise making ability, same as infiltrators do. And yeah, a lot of the time one vigilant guy out of 10 will notice you. He is the guy you have to deal with on somewhat even footing before you try to murder the other 9 dudes who are unaware of you. Infiltrators have to deal with him too.
    • Up x 2
  5. Aquilae

utterly unnecessary nerf. LA is already the 2nd least played and 2nd lowest scoring class, only outdoing infiltrator.

people have been using the "jetpacks are quiet so why should cloak make noise" argument for so long they seem to have forgotten that the point of the argument is to get infiltrators fixed, not ruin the jetpack. the cloak being loud is the problem, not the jetpack being quiet.

infiltrator and their cloak need to be better. nerfing the light assault does not do that.

**** all of you who jump on these nerf trains. ******* idiots like you ruin **** in every game "THE STUFF I LIKE NEEDS BUFFS AND THE STUFF I DON'T USE NEEDS NERFS. EVEN IF IT MAKES NO SENSE". then you ******* cry when YOUR favored class comes up on the chopping block and suddenly all your nerf-crying brothers who don't happen to use that class turn on you. yet you always fail to ******* learn your lesson. the cycle goes round and round and the entire game just gets less fun for everyone.

stop supporting nerfs. especially not on **** like this that is blatantly not needed. again, the 2ND TO 'WORST' CLASS DOES NOT NEED A NERF. "they kill me sometimes and i don't like it" is not reason enough for a nerf
  6. PraxisMajor

At this point I no longer care. Keep the sound in some form or don't keep it.

I'm mainly just slightly frustrated this is the longest thread in the test forum and is likely distracting from the discussion of what the main test objectives currently are.

I'd implore any of you in this thread that haven't been playing on test much to get on there, try out the jetpack sounds and do some fighting while you are at it. We still need more people in there doing that.
  7. Pikeman84

I think the reason this change is generating so much discussion, is while it might not be the most signifigant change on the test server, it is the most controversial. Pretty much every other change is universally accepted as good, nothing really to talk about.
  8. Vikarius

Wrong, it is not the stealth class, even the official description of the class has no mention of stealth.
    Flanking does not require stealth, and your class's primarily role is mobility and flanking.
    There is no directional pointer telling someone that the jetpack noise they are hearing is coming from. Even if they had $500 surround sound headphones I highly doubt it will be able to let them know the sound is coming from above.
    Light assault is supposed to be just that, the Light and quick attack class. Just the simple fact you get get over and onto walls, and ontop of buildings that other classes cannot is a BIG DEAL.
    • Up x 2
  9. PraxisMajor

I don't think that is at all true, there is still plenty to talk about, like bugs or perceived problems with the map as it stands. Even if the general consensus is that most of the changes are positive, focusing the feedback and possible improvements on those aspects helps to improve the implementation for everyone.
  10. Hagestol

Again? Okay: The official description says we can do massive damage flanking enemies. How can we flank if people hear us a mile away. It is a head on battle, and we're not equipped for that.

Secondly: This is how we were designed and have always been. The infiltrator description says sniper rifles and support team with recon, but they got SMGs. Should we complain about INFs getting close ranged weapons because it says nothing in the official description?

We are designed as a sneaky flanking class. Deal with it. It is how we've been since alpha. The site is wrong.
  11. Nyscha

Being able to fly and shoot people in the face with pump action shotguns and drop flying C4 on people.

Except now people can attempt to counter the lame tactic of light assaults running around towers like monkeys with pump action shotguns.
  12. Hagestol

Look at the numbers. Now look back here. Are people abusing shotguns, C4 and jetpacks to the point that it warrants a nerf?

In that case, I suggest a nerf for all classes more played than LA. Because they are obviously better at what they do than the lame overpowered light assaults we have flying around and shotgunning people.
    • Up x 1
  13. AstroCat

Good, glad they finally fixed this.
  14. NaySayer

But doesn't that REDUCE the number of enemies?????????
  15. WookLordz

Oh who decided what LAs primary role is? You do? The FACT is that LA has played like a stealth class since the game came out. So it doesn't matter what you read somewhere, or what you think in your head is a perfect LA. People spent lots of time and money certing out LAs because of HOW THEY PLAYED in the game, not based on some text somewhere.
  16. CuteBeaver

**braces for impact**

I was hoping SONY would increase the LA's jetpack sound... However this is a little much. I WAS NOT wishing for LA's to sound cannons every time they hit the space bar. Just on the initial push. While airborne it would stand to reason for them to have a lower volume. To put it in perspective for infiltrators, It would be like my infiltrator cloak ringing out with every step i take.

If the sound change is non-negotiable then we need to see LA's flying across the horizon with such velocity they risk splattering themselves on the side of a tech plants. The sound increase has to be compensated by speed. ACCELERATION! Yes that's the word i am looking for. If you get enough momentum going then they can STOP PUSHING THE JETPACK :-D. Allowing them to sail upwards semi-stealthy and land like badass carnies on buildings rocks and trees.

Also I am curious what utility LA's are going to get. They need something to help with flanking and not having it rely on stealth. Something fun. Maybe they can leak some fule and burn everyone alive.... I don't know. =D Just saying LA's need fun way to flank and absolutely freak out the enemy.

**rage bait**

As other people have mentioned your not infiltrators. So why should you be better at sneaking around then a class designed for it? Last i checked class improvements cost CERTS not Station Cash.... Sony doesn't technically OWE anything to people who spec'd a certain way. Further to that games get balanced and tweaked. So players saying your going to quit playing LA because of this need to buck up. This change is meant to re-balance a class so they can justify giving you group utility... Unless they make jetpacks absolutely amazing and fun to use, I don't see this really being well received, although it is necessary.