LA sound on test server ... rise up brothers

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by MarlboroMan-E, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Hagestol

It won't affect LAs much in heated battles, but that isn't where they shine. They shine as frontrunners, capping gens, clearing out sundies etc before the main forces roll in. And considering score is already low on LA, is this really a good idea?

For those who complain about shotgun-wielding LAs - they fight in the fray with lots of sounds about. You probably won't hear them anyways, but you'll be deafened by the dozens of LA in 50-60m range flying about.
    • Up x 2
  2. blzbug

Although I understand your cynicism, so far SOE has only sold weapons for SC, not other sorts of equipment. Not to mention that SOE does have to sell *something* to pay for the game. I believe that SOE is sincerely testing the jetpack sounds as part of balancing the game. There are lots of ideas and equipment on the test server that never make it live. Let's hope that this jetpack abomination joins the stack of failed ideas...
    • Up x 3
  3. WookLordz

You're missing the point. Regardless of what LA is "meant" to be, by whatever metric you are going by, the fact is that it HAS been a stealth class essentially since the game has been live. So for LA players who have spent loads of time, certs, and real money investing in that LA, this change is ********. Your insistence, as an Infiltrator, that LA change what they've always been to fit your perceived ideal of an LA based off a text description from a website, holds little weight. So yes, people think LA is meant to be a stealth class, because it plays like one. Words on a website are just that, words.
    • Up x 3
  4. WookLordz

It's funny seeing these guys with a high percentage of HA time ******** about LAs w/ pump-actions... For one, they can carry them, and two: Seeing someone who has a deployable overshield, access to CQC or long-range primaries , a backup sidearm, a freaking anti-vehicle and/or anti-infantry rocket launcher, C4, and concussion grenades whining about "OP LAs w/ one hit kill shottyz," or ANYTHING being OP is laughable.
    • Up x 3
  5. Aimeryan

Note: I no longer fully support the loud noise jetpack change due to the LA update becoming unscheduled. My initial thoughts were that it was the devs decision to make LA a non-stealth class with the change; compensation and balance would be achieved in the soon after update. Since the update is no longer soon after I feel the jetpack noise change should possibly be delayed as well.

To reply directly to WookLordz, I am not using any metric other than the fact that the devs have chosen it to be that way with their choice to make that change. Since it will no longer 'plays like one', it will no longer be a stealth class.

Now personally, I would be against the loss of a playstyle if it were not that this playstyle is also available as the infiltrator. If they took both away it would be bad, but one still exists. As compensation, the LA can now promote a different playstyle that is sorely lacking - a fast flanking assault class. However, you will need the compensatory buffs to do this, hence I feel the delay of the LA update makes the jetpack noise change too early.
  6. WookLordz

I agree.
  7. X3Killjaeden

Infiltrator is my least played class... i hate it. If you want to remove cloak, i dont care
    You can hear footsteps further/louder then jetpacks on live... it couldnt be more wrong.

2 windows next to each other, one guy on one side, LA on the other side of the wall. LA can peek through one window, fly high and come through the second window and the one inside staring at the first window will hear nothing.
    • Up x 2
  8. LonelyTerran

This is a long overdue much needed balance change.
    This isn't just about infils having a loud cloak/decloak sound.
    More counter play will come out of this which is good.
    Perhaps La's will receive a place-able radar device?
    [IMG]
    Save your panic for when they add unique audio to each factions LA.:p
    • Up x 1
  9. Anti-Skub

I really cannot understand the logic for this change. What have LA's got if it isn't there ability to hide, flank and surprise attack. Infiltrators get weapons for every range, the hack ability and radar dart on top of their stealth. Medics get heal, res and AOE, Heavies get a launcher and a shield, Engis get turrets, repair and more explosives options.

All Light Assaults get is their jetpack. It's their only ability and they are limited to short range weapons. Yes they are the best close range infantry fighters, but that's literally all they can do. The ability to sneak around comes at the price of having absolutely no utility. I mean if this change is coming with the idea that it will be balanced with the light assault overhaul which gives the LA some utility, then great, fine, but nerf the jetpack when the LA gets some other purpose, not before.
  10. Naelyan

meanwhile players still mainly play HA because it's straight up better at everything and has an on demand +100% hp nanoweave.

I'm not against some kind of sound for the jetpack (the initial burn is way too loud though) but nerfing the LA class gameplay several times (windows, C4, jetpack sound), without ever giving them some kind of real tool AND without ever doing anything regarding the infantry king called HA which organized outfits simply stack because of its efficiency, has to be either a late April fools' joke or a case of major trolling.

just remove LA and Infil and call this game Heavyside 2 then we will all know what to expect.
    • Up x 2
  11. PaperPlanes

I love how SOE just buffs the crap out of the already popular classes like the HA and Engineer, but it's just random and illogical nerfs for classes that were already underplayed.

Next on the menu will probably be a sudden nerf to medic revives or something.
  12. RedPsycho

Just in case no one pointed this out... that doesn't work like you think it does. Sure it doesn't show the bounce as much, but you still have the same CoF using IR/NV as you would anything else. Test it out in VR and switch between NV/IR and Reflex. You get the same bullet patterns at the same ranges.
  13. AuntLou42

Hopefully in Biolab fights it's sooooo filled with this new noise that people won't even know where it's coming from.

But uuh yeah stealthy jump pack cert option anyone???
  14. ColdCheezePizza

This needs to die and be buried in an anonymous grave somewhere in the test servers, just remove LA's ability to use pumps if you have to, anything but this. Even from a non LA perspective, they always keep me on my toes and make the game much more challenging, now they are just going to become another joke like the infils.
    • Up x 2
  15. AuntLou42

So this means the heavy assaults shields get a sound now too right?
  16. Pikeman84

I keep on hearing the argument "LAs need counter play" in support of this change. Why does LA suddenly need some strategy or trick that nullifies their only ability? What's the counter play to a shielded heavy guarding a cap point? What's the counter play to a medic's AOE heal? What's the counter play to an engineer placing ammo?

Besides, there's already a "counter play" to LAs; not having your entire squad watching the same door. This change doesn't add "counter play", it doesn't add some tactic or strategy to killing LAs, it just adds a blaring siren to their jetpack so they can't perform the one thing their class is supposed to do.
    • Up x 2
  17. Ztiller

The counter to a Heavy is that he becomes slower and much easier to see.

Engineers dropping ammo does not affect their firepower or mobility, or direct combat effectiveness in any way. It only affects soldiers during sustained combat in larger engagements.

This is just pointless whining from Light assault about a change that should have happened months ago. The LAs are the only ones whining about this. Pretty much everyone else knows it's a perfectly reasonable change.
    • Up x 1
  18. OldMaster80

Why do you say "nullify"? LA will still be able to fly and do the same things they do today. And still I can't see any prove of how does the jetpack souns in the perspective of other players. Guess why? Because you've heard the new sound on the Test Server and rushed here to cry because you think you've been nerfed.

But I bet none of you took 5 minutes to check with a friend what's the actual jetpack sound fall-off. o_O
  19. Hagestol

What about those who tried to go to the TC, and then tried vanguard / forward capping gameplay and experienced everyone rushing out to search for you? Should we ignore those?

Because I'd be really lonely.
  20. Pikeman84

The simple fact is, the LA class is by no definition "overpowered". We're FAR from the top scoring, and most played class. We have no unique tools or weapons besides our jetpack. It's our only advantage, and it's all that keeps this class from being completely irrelevant. We do not deserve a nerf, not matter how large or small.
    • Up x 1