[Suggestion] Knife HitBox Is Too Small.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Foxirus

The new knives are great! My only complaint is that the hitbox for the knives was made too small. I will provide pictures below.

[IMG]
    Here is a common scenario that I am running into. In this image, I had the target directly in front of me from behind, The target moves not even 1m to the right (or left) just as I click the knife button and it causes it to miss. This is a VR training scenario that has happened TONS of times in the world.

This knife should have still counted as a hit. I am suggesting that the hitbox for the knife swing be increased slightly so that this problem can be resolved to make knifing more manageable and not a chance game.
    • Up x 16
  2. HadesR

Hit box should be the same size as the knife ( or as near as dammit as possible ) ... If any thing it's the swing that should be increased by a few cm's .. Or move closer
    • Up x 1
  3. BobSanders123

As of right now I think the knife arc is around 0-15 degrees. Realistically, you would move your knife to the right and stab him in the shoulder, but this is a game blah blah blah realism has no place is games meh blah blah.
  4. Foxirus

This was a pointblank swing. You can even see that around 30% of the knifes swing was ON the characters model (Not counting the bulk of the left jetpack wing).

This is basically what I am asking though, make the hitbox of the swing wider.
  5. SirStressALot

The knife hitbox is oke like it is now. I hope they not gonna buff it. The new option to faster swing ur knife and the new knifes itsself (the stronger ones) are to powerful in my eyes anyway but i am annoyed of it. Sorry for the words but i really see since the latest patch to many Ninja style ret**ds running around with knifes. This is a FPS, this is the wrong direction Sony goes. We are not playing Age of Empires this is Planetside so dont make another new knifes because it takes ages anyway to aurax them. Better make some new Guns. Theres now for every faction just 4 machine pistols you can only buy with certs only. And i would love to see some more carbines too.
  6. iller

It shouldn't be a quick-time event.... but in the real world, you'd automatically adjust your arm slightly on a moving target. This is why all Melee in TF2 and Tribes for instance is a generous PBAOE cone of atleast 40 degrees.

If this was a pre-nerf to the OHK knife, then it should have been kept specific to that knife only. Not carried across all other melee and especially not applied to MAX which is a big wide Mech Slap that wrecks vehicles faster than a lead pipe wielding Mike Haggar
  7. LibertyRevolution

Quick knife hit now sucks compared to the old quick knife. I get misses all the time since the change..
    They would have been hits with the old knife, I knife a lot in CQC, and now I hit nothing but air.

It feels like a major change in how knife hits are detected.
    Its like you are shooting your knife 1m now, if they are not on the dot when you hit melee it misses.
    I don't like this change at all.
    • Up x 5
  8. Demigan

You have the same "problem" with any other weapon, only those have an even smaller hitbox. Only difference is that they work on longer ranges.

I don't think this "small" hitbox is a big problem. It makes OHK knives more challanging, and even now there's already one video showing massive killstreaks with one of these knives.
    • Up x 1
  9. PsyStorm

Yes I agree with this fully. This knife is so hard to get kills with compared to the others. Also they should make the fire mode stay active until you change so you don't have to constantly switch when you die. The fact that you are giving up your other weapons I am a bit unsure about. When you switch to this mode you are left wide open and compared to using a commissioner/knife combo I am not sure which is better. I know one is silent but you are so exposed that I am still deciding if this is an option that is truly interesting.
  10. TheRunDown

Ha! NO!, the Knife is a joke as it is, I'm stabbing people in the face with two hits..
    How about you guys just learn to aim, it's really not that hard to hit someone in the head, since it can headshot now.
    I'm already taking the piss with it, there is no need to make it easier, you should think yourselves lucky we have the new knife draw, it's a CoD Fanboy weapon, and shouldn't be in PlanetSide 2.

It literally kills in 2 hits on to ANY CLASS! Why should they make it easier to kill someone with something that has the highest TTK!
    I have ran in on campers trying to take a Gen and knifed all of them before they could retaliate..

If the knife had a Corn attack, everyone would play Inf for easy kills.. just like when Inf has Shotguns and shotguns they could use while cloaked.. Ohh I remember those days... Let's not repeat them. The Needle like aiming is the only thing that protects me from Infs or from people when I'm Counter Sniping.
  11. PsyStorm

@Therundown. All I heard was blah blah I am so good with the knife.. blah blah you guys aren't blah blah. Well after running around with it for a couple of hours it is nice if a target is standing still ofc but it's not that great on a moving target. I know you can hit a stationary target and headshot them if they aren't suspecting. To hit a moving target is another matter even with adrenaline pump. I chased a guy and even though I was faster I couldn't land a hit on him moving in a straight line. I tried at least 4 times when I was right on top of him but still couldn't land and was on target. I could have killed him with the old knife since it only takes 2 shots and has bigger radius.

Another problem I have with knifing is due to the sensitivity. If you turn it up too much your character will turn to fast when shooting so trying to find a balance. They should add another sensitivity setting for the knife so it doesn't mess with your shooting.

Lastly people act like knifing is so freaking easy to do all the time. Sure you can get lucky and kill unsuspecting enemies before they can react but this is all across the board with regular weapons. The fact that you have to take away your weapon and only knife means no combos and with a smaller hit box there is more room for failing and errors. If you want to post a video without editing and show us your amazing kd with the knife then I will eat my words.
  12. Bloodlet

I haven't had any problems knifing people.
  13. PsyStorm

I just noticed as well that when you target is backing up and you are advancing you will miss. I would also suggest that you guys go on a run and only use the knife so that you can see where it shines and fails. This will improve the feedback. I have dedicated today to only running the knife and 99% of my kills are from the knife.
  14. nehylen

I used to be rather good at knifing but the new system is indeed disturbing. So at first i thought: "this sucks". Then i recalled all those guys, mainly stalker infs, trying to OHK with a knife since the patch (and failing for the most part), and felt that i'd rather deal with a shorter hitbox than with stupid cheesy OHKs everywhere. There are already NC MAXes and snipers for that, i don't want more OHKs, thank you.
    • Up x 1
  15. Cz4rMike

Look, I haven't played running knife style yet, but I see that people tend to like things easy. I think knifing should have a skill to it, such way it's a challenge and it's also fun. I'm against EZ mode. IF there are bugs, well then it's different. But myself - i have yet to encounter problems with it.

EDIT:
    what about you guys posting a video about knifing where it shows how it failed when it shouldn't?
  16. p10k56

We need longswords maybe lances:p

Cos some Pros already have them:(
  17. Cz4rMike

Ok, right now I gotta say it's pretty hard for me to get kills running, BUT i don't have any experience with it yet. Gotta rack up some kills.
  18. Cz4rMike

Ok, guys, you got me :D... the **** gets quite hardcore... some swings i thought i'd get, missed... new meta :D
    • Up x 1
  19. Foxirus

I think its safe to say that the hitbox of the old knife was fine and would have worked just right on the current knifing system. Shots like the one in the above mentioned picture being missed should not be happening. The knife is still a two hit kill unless you sacrifice all your range and stack a weapon access time on it. It getting a hitbox increase would be fair. It doesn't have anything on the current shotgun platforms. Thats basically a knife that has a 20m instat kill box. If I am able to take the time while behind you to pop out my knife and activate it, I should not be getting as many near misses as I am getting because my target moves .5 meters to the left or right on a whim.
    • Up x 1
  20. AlterEgo

I like.