[Suggestion] Knife HitBox Is Too Small.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Dec 22, 2014.

1. IvanCGray

Oh ffs; Just make the quick-knifing animation -slightly- slower, (Ample time to actually grab a belt-dagger, or something.) widen the hitbox maybe 15° from what it is now, (Or better yet, make whatever the knife actually touches count.) and allow us to rifle/pistol butt enemies, (At current quick knife speeds, with no option to take them out and doubletime them. Pistol butting being slightly faster than rifle maybe?) Pick between butting, or a knife as your melee. That way, people can have a more logical version of the old system, a usable version of the new system, and everyone can ****.
  2. Rhumald

There is still some hit detection issues with the other knives, but they at least work within an expected melee range 6 out of 10 times. I suspect the hit detection issues at present with the other two factions is more latency related than anything, as I'll often miss a swing when attempting to intercept someone from in front of them, when hypothetically, both my client and theirs could report very different swing results.

A small shockwave pattern to the hit detection could help mitigate this, perhaps a hit attempt that lingers for a section of the swing, rather than just the climax, but I think ultimatly it's going to be something players are just going to have to live with, and that I am personally fine with. The panicked movements of your target, regardless fo the result, rewards a great adrenaline rush, and always promotes a fit of giggles from me.

That range difference on the different versions of the arguably same weapon though, at least in this initial itteration, is a problem that needs to be addressed before player studio knives start hitting the market.
    • Up x 1
  3. CuteBeaver

Yeah, Iv noticed my streaks being cut shorter now. Its taking time to relearn new rules. For example one rule I found is looking down at someones feet and stabbing in the crotch area is no longer viable. Since looking down seems to put things out of reach it is no longer possible / practical trying to land on someones head and stab them. This was one of my favorite ways to ambush so I am a little sad its not working like it used to with either style of knife.
  4. Foxirus

Hmm.. I have not actually tried the other faction versions. This very well could be the entire problem.
  5. CuteBeaver

Seriously? **sigh** time to get on CuteReaver and do some testing. o_O I wonder if male or female characters have issues as well...
  6. CuteBeaver

Never-mind, I just saw the patch notes posted for today:

• Server performance improvements
    • Alerts should return to normal functionality
    • Indar will now unlock correctly on Connery
    • Battle Hardened 3 + 4 implants should now function properly
    • Senson Shield implant has been renamed to "Sensor Shield 3"
    • Senson Shield 2 implant has been renamed to "Sensor Shield 4"
    • The Holiday event has been disabled
    • Tweaked the base VS textures (characters, helmets, and weapons) as well as the Camo mask; certain areas no longer receive tint to help with IFF
    • Warp Queue should have more precise times for members
    • Warp Queue UI usability improvements
    • Replaced certain banners with default PS2 banners (those who purchased the banners have already had refunds)
    • Fixed some result percentages for the nano-cycler to bring them closer in line with our intent; this change should result some implants being more likely drop from a combine than before
    • Adjusted hit registration for quick knife with the default knife; new knives and wielded default knife unchanged
    • Fix to Auraxium Slasher animation
    • Fixed a bug where vehicle muzzle flashes weren't playing in first person in ultra settings
    I don't know if this helps since I am just one person... but here are my hit % for a variety of knives. The blue ones are two knives I'v used since the changes happened. The others have been used prior to the changes. Force Blade is about average and has the majority of my knife kills over the time I have played.

Force Blade 58%
    Slasher 68%
    Icikill 22%
    Aurax Slasher 52%
    Lumine 22%

I am very curious if "new knives' include Icikill even though you cannot activate it... I think Ill use the anniversay knife to compare my personal statistics after this patch. I haven't use it yet so data should be clean.

7. Rhumald

I don't know if it was just a bug in the last build, but distances seem to have normalised across all three factions as of last patch.

There is still a range related issue present in all three factions now, which IMO is kind of odd, screenshots to follow:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Ok, so what we're looking at here are some marks on the ground and the wall. Kinda meaningless without extra info, right? right. Quick note, I had tested this before the last nights patch, Vanu's distances were arguably much shorter at that time. I am assuming it's one of those bugs that either fixed itself, or was soft patched out. Also note that these three images are from slightly different angles, if you look carefully at the marks on the ground and the surrounding tiles, they're the same distances.

The closest marks on the ground and wall represent crouched hit distance, the furthest (marks are in the diagonal line section of the wall) represent the standing hit distance. Personally, I'd like to see both those distances normalised to the crouched distance. These are absolute maximums, if I moved my mouse even slightly in any direction on the wall, I wasn't hitting it any more.

There's two marks on the crouched position for the NC, this is because, though the diference is extremely small, the backswing has a very slightly further reach than the initial swing (the same holds for all three factions, but I didn't feel like marking those, as the difference is negligible). The two marks for the Standing TR are because I messed up the first mark, closest one to the wall is the real mark.

PS: If you want to repeat this test, keep in mind that you cannot look straight down. I had to spin in place to figure out where my feet were, then move back to mark that point on the ground, which is how I messed up the TR mark the first time.
    • Up x 2
  8. PsyStorm

Well I am about to go to bed but it feels already much better. I don't have to be inside the player anymore so it's actually feeling like they fixed the range. This should also fix the hit detection since it has a slightly longer range than before. This is the Lumina Edge so i can't speak for other factions. I went into the VR and it seems much better from first glance. Will test more over the next days.
  9. CapEnTrade

Still maybe needs a little more range and hitscan fixing.
    • Up x 2
  10. Ruffdog

I have found that there is still quite a difference between the reach on stock knives and the Icikill. Like a boxer with big arms fighting one with small arms. I know this because of knife fights with Infils this morning (I had the Icikill).