[Suggestion] Knife HitBox Is Too Small.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Foxirus, Dec 22, 2014.

1. CapEnTrade

At least for the time being, untill they fix the bloody hit detection, the hitbox for knifing SHOULD be better.
    This is a no duh improvement.

I expect to see this next update, SOE!
    • Up x 2
  2. CuteBeaver

For all we know it could simply be an accuracy loss bug/COF that is occurring when we are moving. Iv found the majority of my grievances come from situations where I was mobile.

Either way if this is an intentional change SOE should just update the tooltip to better reflect activated knives are meant to be used on stationary targets. Really the new knives are not helpful unless your a stalker infiltrator running with a low alpha damage weapon like a Beamer who has literally no high damage ambush potential. People do run those kinds of weapons because its easier to tail and pick at moving targets from behind. However the new knife would give those folks the option to sit there and wait until his / her target stops moving for an assassination style kill. It gives those people the option of killing HA more effectively. (Beat human reaction time to avoid "Spin and Win") However it requires them to wait for the perfect moment. Give players a few weeks and stalker infils who enjoy pistols will start adapting. They might learn to camp windows, enemy medic bubbles, use their spotters for bait, sit on enemy corpses and wait for a medic. The list goes on.

Trouble is most stalkers who enjoy doing things such as this already use the crossbow + knife for near instant kills. So really unless you really suck with aiming the xbow, have problems with ammo, then there is no actual gain in terms of how lethal you are. From my perspective its more geared for giving people options with other weapons.

Originally I tried using the new knives with my xbow, and trying to just keep doing what I would normally do.

Problem, its just not meant for that. I mean theoretically you wouldn't need to use EMP's for groups of enemies but frankly given the limitations, id rather EMP and go in with regular knife and crossbow bolts then trust in sketchy hit detection.
  3. LibertyRevolution

Here is a video:

This new knife hit box is a joke compared to the old knives, please fix this...
    • Up x 8
  4. iller

Before this update, I'd get a couple melee kills every day.
    After... I haven't pulled one off yet. I consider that a huge nerf TBH to a class that already was total trash in CQC.
    • Up x 2
  5. Foxirus

Did I? You can clearly see the knife hitting the body at the start of the swing.
  6. radrussian2

it had to be nerfed so you could wield it and swing it faster.
  7. thenewbie

You're probably right, but I have no idea because I've only done the "sit there and wait for someone to stop moving" tactic with the wieldable knives. I don't remember moving while trying to kill someone.
  8. MarkAntony

hit detection with knives is effed right now.
  9. Milspec

I think you should HAVE to headshot with the knife for a 1-hit kill. Because super-advanced-futuristic-armor-and-shield-that-can-resist-many-BULLETS ffs. How is a knife to the torso killing faster than a full-auto LMG to the torso? /makes no sense
  10. PsyStorm

Lol it's hard enough to even get a body shot :)
  11. Dudeman325420

Yeah, you did. The aim point is clearly off target. The animation for the attack != the attack. Every attack happens directly at the center of the screen, even with guns, which shoot directly out of the center of the screen instead of out of the barrel.
  12. SpruceMoose

realism and sense take the back seat behind balance and fun in video games
    go sit in the corner

this is true
    for the old knives, which basically acted like a super short range high damage bullet
    the new knives were supposed to be getting an actual attack swing
    believe this was stated in a higby pls

either way
    if foxirus deserved the hit or not doesn't matter
    the new knives are worse than the old ones as far as reliability goes

I'd pay SC to get my old force blade back
    • Up x 3
  13. Caydn

Load of rubbish the knife is to overpowered already when you can 1 hit a person with a knife
  14. Bitmap

First time I've ever seen myself in a video. That was awesome!

I know the feeling though. Did some knife hunting myself today and couldn't get a hit on this one guy until I backed him into a corner and he stopped moving. It needs a fix pronto.
  15. Blippy

The only time I ever kill a moving target with the knife is if he runs straight into me.
    • Up x 1
  16. LibertyRevolution

Our personal shields are based on Goa'uld technology. Did you never watch SG1?
    They only block fast projectiles and plasma, slow moving objects like knives pass right through.
  17. Milspec

lol so nothing I said has anything to do with balance or fun. 1-hit kill weapons are fun for whom, exactly?
  18. Milspec

Oh, DUNE shields. I get it now.
  19. LibertyRevolution

Yep, like dune shields. Like the shield uses the projectiles force to repel the projectile.
  20. Enguzrad

And just like dune shields it will explode once hit with a laser. So that's why VS favors plasma, it just wouldn't be fair to others.

I'm also for the fix, dancing around with an enemy for 10 seconds before one of us finally lands a hit is just ridiculous.
    • Up x 1